Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump is the winner, we LGBT people are going to be "dead"...

Default Trump is the winner, we LGBT people are going to be "dead"...

Now that Trump won the election, after Januarry 20th, all us LGBT people are dead.

No you're not. Yes, he's either won or nearly won as of the time of this posting. But can we at least take this moment to stop the partisan madness where we're able? I'm not pleased he won, and I think he'll pass bad policies. But the president, even this one, is not empowered to go out and kill people, nor force laws across the country suddenly, nor overrule the courts. We need to all try and work together, let Trump and the legislature know if there's something we care about, and try to keep the country working. There's also a couple months for some things to get sorted. Just sit tight, let's see what happens.

Also he can't overturn the gay marriage law. If he were to try, there would be an impeachment knocking on his door.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    No you're not. Yes, he's either won or nearly won as of the time of this posting. But can we at least take this moment to stop the partisan madness where we're able? I'm not pleased he won, and I think he'll pass bad policies. But the president, even this one, is not empowered to go out and kill people, nor force laws across the country suddenly, nor overrule the courts. We need to all try and work together, let Trump and the legislature know if there's something we care about, and try to keep the country working. There's also a couple months for some things to get sorted. Just sit tight, let's see what happens.
    In dates and times (including timezone) when is this final... when does the last cow come home on this election? -Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by silentdreamer1996 View Post
    Also he can't overturn the gay marriage law. If he were to try, there would be an impeachment knocking on his door.
    I see an impeachment coming already... -sorry- I'm not normally an alarmist...
    Who would replace him, if a successful impeachment were to occur? - Thank you!

Have heart my friend. Being LGBT or AB or DL is not something that is likely going to be influenced greatly by the change in presidency. That has never been a lot of discussion in this campaign about these interests at all. It seems that most discussion has been solely about slinging mud against each other. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see there being much change. Also, there was a reason our founding leaders of this country placed a balance of power between the executive, legislative, and judicial branch. Regardless of who the president is, there are two other powers that keep discrimination in check. And the trend has been much more in favor across all branches of government in the past decades towards ensuring less discrimination. A president alone cannot change this direction and movement.

As with any election, there is a huge difference of opinions. It is obvious that the United States is almost a perfectly divided country. But that doesn't mean that as a general rule there is a much greater acceptance of all than at any other time in history. There are more laws protecting individual rights and turning against discrimination than at any other time. I don't see these things changing just because there is a change in presidency. The congress, senate, and judicial branches are not subject to a dictatorship by the presidency.

Keep your chin up. Just because we have either candidate ending up in the presidency, that isn't going to cause a huge change in the direction of overall acceptance that is taking place. Society and its influence is much greater than any one individual.

My question is rather, what the heck are the agenda items for either of these candidates? All I have heard is fighting against each other and nothing more than a bunch of worthless name calling on both sides. What the heck is either of these candidates really going to do or benefit this country? Maybe once the election is over they could actually spend some time telling the rest of us what they have in mind that could lead the country as a whole?

Really, what is the agenda for either of these candidates? I have never seen an election like this. For me, if it had been offered on the ballot, I would have vehemently voted for "none of the above". What ever happened to running for election based on what your views were rather than bad talking about your opponent?

Out of 320 million people living in the U.S., these are the best people we could come up with to vote for?

Seriously?

p.s. --My apologies to anyone who may be highly in favor for either of these candidates, but I can't remember any time in history when two candidates have spent almost their entire campaign badmouthing each other rather than addressing the issues that truly matter in this country.

I hope that whoever the winner is may realize we have a hugely divided country and work toward finding unity rather than further dividing everyone.

Projections are Hillary 215 Trump 264 as I write this. I fear this election will lead to an increase in LGBT, non traditional lifestyles, and minority race deaths. I fear a Trump Presidency will lead to war.

The benefit we have here is we know how to hide. The minority majority is coming and it's effects will be felt in the next two quadrennial election cycles and that favors Democrats. Democrats favor LGBT and minority issues. At least Trump isn't the Antichrist. There's hope for us in the future.

Edit - This will test the separation of powers. Trump will be able to change the balance of the supreme court. The presidency has become more powerful in recent years. Finally there will be a Republican majority in the house and senate in congress. Trump can be impeached easily, but it would take a simple majority to convict him and that won't happen.

--- Oh, by the way, perhaps you should take heart that Misty Snow, a transgender U.S. senatorial candidate (in of all places, the state of Utah) received almost 30% of the vote in a state that is very much otherwise very much on the far conservative right. While that will not give her the senatorial title, I think it says a hell of a lot about the state of acceptance for LGBT in this country.

The AP has called Wisconsin and that puts Trump over 270 electoral votes. Trump is the next president of the USA. I'm crying now.

@TeddyBearCowboy That's quite a shocking result. I've had friends who lived in Utah, and that's so odd to me, it fits nothing I know about the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Projections are Hillary 215 Trump 264 as I write this. I fear this election will lead to an increase in LGBT, non traditional lifestyles, and minority race deaths. I fear a Trump Presidency will lead to war.

The benefit we have here is we know how to hide. The minority majority is coming and it's effects will be felt in the next two quadrennial election cycles and that favors Democrats. Democrats favor LGBT and minority issues. At least Trump isn't the Antichrist. There's hope for us in the future.

Edit - This will test the separation of powers. Trump will be able to change the balance of the supreme court. The presidency has become more powerful in recent years. Finally there will be a Republican majority in the house and senate in congress. Trump can be impeached easily, but it would take a simple majority to convict him and that won't happen.
    I truly hope that everyone who has these concerns can take a deep breath and step back from the moment and look at where we are at as a nation. There has been so much progression and movement towards acceptance of diverse lifestyles and sexual interests than at any other time in history. It seems that some are caught up in this situation and forgetting that the election of one individual is simply one individual. It does not change the feelings of a nation as a whole.

If you were going back in time only a few years to when George Bush was elected president, those in the LGBT community and I throw out there the ABDL community as well, there was so much more reason for concern and worry of the safety of individuals who had these interests than we are at now.

---Or go back a few years prior and you would find even more reason to fear for the safety or well being of anyone with these interests. If you were in the military, you would have not dared share that you were LGBT as you would have been dishonorably discharged or worse. That is certainly not the case today, and a change in presidency is not going to change this. If you came out as being LGBT in society, you would have likely been scorned, humiliated, or faced great harm. Today, in even the most conservative of states, you can be transgender and run for the U.S. senate as a simple grocery cashier and be taken seriously and receive almost 30% of the votes.

Regardless of who is elected president, this trend is not going to change.