Thread: Im drunk & complaining about work (44 hours in 4 days)

Default Im drunk & complaining about work (44 hours in 4 days)

So I normally don't drink when alone to the point of being drunk, but after working 44 hours between Friday at 3 PM and Monday at 4 Pm I felt like having a drink. I am a full time college student pre-med (start medical school in January) This week alone I am putting in 70+ hours.

This is because we unexpectedly changed store managers, and it sucks! I am a shift manager who's job title is to only open and close the store / make deposits yet I am responable for payroll, scheduling, the stores checkbook, ordering, invoicing, and HR (hiring/firing as well as raises, and evaluations) I am also responsible for much more.

However I am still a "shift manager" I have been an operations manager in the past with another company and have done the same responsabilities. I stay with the company I am with because they work around my college schedule, but the new store manager is not as flexible, or nice. I went on an interview for Office Depot for a job, and was offered a position that pays 6+ dollars more than what I make and I would do the same thing I do here. They also offer better benefits. The only problem is they are not as flexible with my college schedule, I would still have two days off to go to class, (when in medical school I would have 3 days off) but, they would not be able to give me additional time to study. Meaning I would get my 40 hours over 5 days +2 days of class = 7 days schedule. (my current is 3-4 days work +2 days class)

Any advice? Sorry for any grammatical errors, I normally am very particular with spelling and proper grammar but again I am drunk & it is after midnight.

You have it lucky when I was in school I went to class 5 days a week and I work 7 days a week I I did it in shifts with only 5 hours sleep breaks in between morning classes from 6 am to noon 5 days a week and worked 2 pm until about 9 pm during week and two jobs full 12 hr shift everyweekend for 2 years. And that's when my mother told me that if I didn't quit one of my jobs to get more sleep she was going to drive down to Nashville and repossess my truck so that I would get fired from both jobs

Quote Originally Posted by OKDB View Post
    [...] I am a full time college student pre-med (start medical school in January) This week alone I am putting in 70+ hours.[...]

Any advice? [...]
    Are there any jobs available at the school/college, that you'll be attending for pre-med?

Maybe it's time to do the unthinkable, borrow a lot of money for education and quit working all together. I think it's going to be difficult to find the time to work once you start medical school. I was lucky when I was in college because I was a music major. I could make a lot more money working fewer hours as a performer and choir director. Most people don't have that luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Maybe it's time to do the unthinkable, borrow a lot of money for education and quit working all together. I think it's going to be difficult to find the time to work once you start medical school. I was lucky when I was in college because I was a music major. I could make a lot more money working fewer hours as a performer and choir director. Most people don't have that luxury.
    That sort of decision might be the right one... factors to consider include:

1. Doing med school right and getting maximum benefit from it later. It's not easy by any stretch of the imagination, and dividing your attention as you have been doing may mean failure at everything. There are only 24 hours in a day and even an iron will can't indefinitally hold off the need for rest.

2. How sure you are that med school is not only possible but the right thing. Similar to the decision an athlete has to make when they get to the level that Olympics are a possibility. You have to realistically assess your abilities and determination, as well as how much it would mean to you.

I thank everyone for their replies, generosity, and advice. This has been a hectic week and unfortunately, I had been a bit indisposed therefore I was unable to get back to you all in a more timely manner.

I am currently weighing financial options regarding leaving permanent employment and living off my other streams of income.

A majority of my income actually comes from writing, and blogging, as well as personally managing my investment portfolio. The problems with these streams of income are that they can drastically vary on a week to week basis.

On Tuesday morning I put in some buy orders and sold them Thursday for a 19.42% return. This was by far the best I had ever done in a such a short time period.

My other major income stream comes from my personal blog detailing the daily events of working in retail, and much like my investment portfolio can vary widely. On months where I allow more directed advertising I can bring in a couple of grand, but I bleed followers. (My worst month I lost 3,600+ followers) My problem is a bit unique, as I feel I need to retain my position in retail in order to sufficiently retain my income from the website.

I am meeting Wednesday wth my financial advisor to go over everything, and help me come up with the best plan. I have also spoken to my new boss and informed her that I will need to go back to a normal schedule here come December, or I will likely need to go part time.

Again, thank you all for your ideas, thoughts, and opinions. Have a wonderful week!

Quote Originally Posted by OKDB View Post
    I thank everyone for their replies, generosity, and advice. This has been a hectic week and unfortunately, I had been a bit indisposed therefore I was unable to get back to you all in a more timely manner.

I am currently weighing financial options regarding leaving permanent employment and living off my other streams of income.

A majority of my income actually comes from writing, and blogging, as well as personally managing my investment portfolio. The problems with these streams of income are that they can drastically vary on a week to week basis.

On Tuesday morning I put in some buy orders and sold them Thursday for a 19.42% return. This was by far the best I had ever done in a such a short time period.

My other major income stream comes from my personal blog detailing the daily events of working in retail, and much like my investment portfolio can vary widely. On months where I allow more directed advertising I can bring in a couple of grand, but I bleed followers. (My worst month I lost 3,600+ followers) My problem is a bit unique, as I feel I need to retain my position in retail in order to sufficiently retain my income from the website.

I am meeting Wednesday wth my financial advisor to go over everything, and help me come up with the best plan. I have also spoken to my new boss and informed her that I will need to go back to a normal schedule here come December, or I will likely need to go part time.

Again, thank you all for your ideas, thoughts, and opinions. Have a wonderful week!
    Have you ever thought of setting up a private proxy site with advertisements most kids don't care about that and they love using them to get around firewalls. I set one up when I was in 7th grade in Middle School and by the time I was in 11th grade I had enough saved up to buy my 91 Bronco and I bought a small camper to pull behind it and that's with just me and a few friends using it constantly all day for 5 years. The more people use it the more money you make

I have considered it, however for the website / blog most of the income comes from partner programs such as Amazon Associates, as well as any advertising work that gets sent my way. I would say the actual websites ads only bring in $100 - $125 a month. Whereas I can post a single Amazon link and make that in a few hours depending on the product and comission.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and by the way that is awesome! I remember in elementary school we would always find websites we could get to play games on, we didnt mind the ads, because we were young and playing games in class!