Rap/Hip-Hop fans here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodnitesco96

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Pretty sure I'm like the only one here who's super white but is really into rap...
-Drake's albums(from 0 to 100 the Catch up to Views), and I used to have his really old So Far Gone and Thank Me Later albums.
-G-Eazy's two most recent albums,
-J Cole's since Born Sinner,
-Jay-Z's since the Black Album,
-Eminem since the Marshall Mathers LP in 2000
I have some Kevin Gates, Schoolboy Q, Travis Scott, Wiz Khalifa, as well as Hopsin, 2Pac, Biggie, Wale, Royce da 5'9", Meek Mill, and Logic. So far, my favorite like modern rap album is G-Eazy's When It's Dark Out. There's a new album out by Damian Lillard (he plays PG for the Portland Trail Blazers in the NBA) and it is surprisingly really good for a NBA player. Anybody else into rap as much as me? If you are, what's your favorite rapper/song/album that you've listened to?

Yeah dude, big fan. my favorite emcee at the moment is gonna have to be Earl Sweatshirt, but I'm a big fan or Drake, too. In the more alt side of things, I'm a big fan of Aesop Rock and Sage Francis. And how about the old schools like Wu-Tang?

I love rap, but it's got to be real rap. The artist has to have legitimate talent, and real flow. I don't even see most mainstream "rappers" as rappers, since they're pretty much just talking into the mic (on top of generic, heavily-recycled beats). And don't even get me started on auto-tuning.

My favorite rappers (in no particular order):
- Vinnie Paz / Jedi Mind Tricks / Army of the Pharaohs / Snowgoons
- Ill Bill
- Celph Titled
- Immortal Technique
- Mos Def
- Sage Francis
- Brother Ali
- Nappy Roots
- Hilltop Hoods
- Tech N9ne
- Yelawolf (some of his stuff)
- Hopsin (great rapper, but his lyrics are shallow)
- Rittz (bringing it back for white rappers)
- Eminem (of course)
- Aesop Rock
- Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip (sometimes closer to spoken word, but has a good flow)
- Lupe Fiasco (his old stuff)
- Kanye West (his old stuff)
- Kid Cudi (his old stuff)
- Earl Sweatshirt/Odd Future (was decent when they first popped up, but the novelty wore off quickly) | Tyler the Creator's "Yonkers" was dope af, but literally his only good song

And, of course, some old-school stuff:
- Geto Boys
- The Coup
- Gang Starr
- Biggie
- Pac
- DMX

Rappers I hate: Lil Wayne, Drake, Jay-Z, Wiz Khalifa, Snoop Dog (gonna catch flak for that one), anything labeled "trip-hop" (looking at you, Rae Sremmurd)

Some of B.o.B.'s stuff is decent, but he's definitely toeing that line.

Hubche said:
I'm a big fan of Aesop Rock and Sage Francis. And how about the old schools like Wu-Tang?
Hell yeah. Not many people know about AR/SF

Last edited:
WhiteRabbit said:
I love rap, but it's got to be real rap. The artist has to have legitimate talent, and real flow. I don't even see most mainstream "rappers" as rappers, since they're pretty much just talking into the mic (on top of generic, heavily-recycled beats). And don't even get me started on auto-tuning.

My favorite rappers (in no particular order):
- Vinnie Paz / Jedi Mind Tricks / Army of the Pharaohs / Snowgoons
- Ill Bill
- Celph Titled
- Immortal Technique
- Mos Def
- Sage Francis
- Brother Ali
- Nappy Roots
- Hilltop Hoods
- Tech N9ne
- Yelawolf (some of his stuff)
- Hopsin (great rapper, but his lyrics are shallow)
- Rittz (bringing it back for white rappers)
- Eminem (of course)
- Aesop Rock
- Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip (sometimes closer to spoken word, but has a good flow)
- Lupe Fiasco (his old stuff)
- Kanye West (his old stuff)
- Kid Cudi (his old stuff)
- Earl Sweatshirt/Odd Future (was decent when they first popped up, but the novelty wore off quickly) | Tyler the Creator's "Yonkers" was dope af, but literally his only good song

And, of course, some old-school stuff:
- Geto Boys
- The Coup
- Gang Starr
- Biggie
- Pac
- DMX

Rappers I hate: Lil Wayne, Drake, Jay-Z, Wiz Khalifa, Snoop Dog (gonna catch flak for that one), anything labeled "trip-hop" (looking at you, Rae Sremmurd)

Some of B.o.B.'s stuff is decent, but he's definitely toeing that line.

Hell yeah. Not many people know about AR/SF
I mean like Drake's old albums like Thank Me Later and So Far Gone are good, I like them a lot. There are only a select few songs on his new albums that I listen too. I remember when B.O.B. came out with I think it was called The Adventures of Bobby Ray, that was the B.O.B. I really liked. I liked Strange Clouds as well, but only 2 songs on that album or 3. Kid Cudi when he released Man on the Moon was good, I remember listening to Day N Nite so many times, I really enjoyed that song, I liked Up Up and Away as well. One of my favorite Eminem songs is Beautiful, off of his Relapse album I believe in 2009. I'm probably gonna get some hate for saying this, but Macklemore is really good at brining up emotional issues close to him, if you've seen his new music video for Drug Dealer, it really is a powerful song. He mostly talks about drugs and alcohol in his songs, which I get some people don't want to listen to all the time, but some people can see that he can be successful after being a drug addict, and if he can inspire people to do better, that's fine by me.

My faves kind of show my age lol, in order are,
Beastie Boys,
Cypress hill,
House of pain.
And some aussie hip hop including
Butterfingers,
And Hilltop Hoods.
Ive seen all of these live over the years except for Cypress hill, if they do another Australian tour ill do whatever it takes to see them I'll even sell my left nut or rob a bank if i have to lol.
When Butterfingers were touring for their "breakfast at fatboys" album they played in my home town.
At the end of the show i approached them as they were leaving the stage and asked if they'd sign the new album, not sure who it was but he said they would have a break and be back in about 20 mins with some of their new albums to sign for a few people.
I already had it and pulled their new album out of my pocket, and he smiled and said ive got nothing to sign it with but if i catch them when they're back they'd have to sign it because i was so keen.
Out of my other pocket came a permanent marker and he laughed and signed it and called the others over to do it too! :)

I also kinda forgot Kendrick Lamar too, not just like listening to his Swimming Pools song over and over, I have all of his albums back until The Kendrick Lamar EP. I love him a lot too.

Pretty much anyone on Rhymesayers Entertainment label.

-Atmosphere
-Eydea And Abilities (God rest his soul.)
-Sage Francis
-Aesop Rock (Not to be confused with ASAP Racky)

To name a few.

My god, I forgot about Eyedea. My favourite song at the moment is burn fetish. Another artist I forgot to mention is doom/ his madvillian stuff

nah I love me my reggae/ dancehall/ rub'n'dub

check out L'Entourloop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back