• Note: ADISC does NOT allow personal ads. This includes "looking for ____" or "anyone in ____" type introduction posts. To write a good introduction, focus on explaining who you are, NOT what you are looking for. The goal should be to help other people get to know you a bit.

Hiya All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCadvan

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hiya!

PamperedTechie here, or if you prefer, Matt. Either name will work here. I'm a 25 year old who enjoys wearing when I can. I've been reading a lot on this site and have now joined to communicate with other people with the same interest.

I just started a new job and am in a new relationship and want people to talk to.

To start with, I am a truck driver (solo! Yippee) and have been for the past 14 months. Previously I was working as a team driver (no privacy.) and it took its toll on me. Never "home" or stopped at that matter. Could never be myself, or make my own schedule and over time and I started going crazy. Thankfully I have found my new company and actually plan on ordering my next pack today.

I just recently moved to Nevada, USA from Ohio. And so I will admit I'm kinda scared, and unsecure at the moment. However, I feel that if I have people to talk with that I should be fine.

Well I don't want to bore you with everything or all my issues... but if you have any questions feel free to ask away.

Written from a truck stop in CA. -PT-

Hello PamperedTechie and welcome to the group.

Very nice and informative introduction.

I too had a Class B CDL and drove school bus. Could not handled the multitasking of driving and dealing with the "little darlings".

Is it just me or do people in black Lexus have no concept of safe driving?

Keep Smithing.

Egor

I don't think it's just those who drive Lexus vehicles, but those who drive "Luxery" vehicles in general. I guess what it comes down to is this, are they going to have to worry about their car if something were to happen? Some people are just outright pricks.

Cheers.

Written from Sacramento CA. -PT-

Hey man. Greetings from wherever the heck I am today lol. Welcome to the fold, and welcome to the wonderful world of hurry up and wait aka trucking.

Commit from Ohio to nevada must be a culture shock, I had similar in reverse when I was a bit younger moving from Arizona to Kentucky.

Who you drive for now? With companies a bit of advice I learned is contrary to popular belief there is no bad companies except PTL and UPG (both based out of KY one propane hazmat the other is discount swift) companies are like clothes they are all good just some fit better than others, I been around the block a bit too much un warned negativity now days. You been out there so you know how the BS game works a bit as a team you never really get a chance to stop and visit but once a week hit up a petro station in the iron skillet restraunt very lively social bunch. Atmosphere is great can pick up a lot of good solid advice and skills by listening to some the veteran drivers and former outlaws. Being 25 I understand it's hard out here. I've been at it for a few years now and I'm also 25. I can run with and at times outrun the best of them but the age will catch you crap often most these guys been driving since before we were born. But you ever need me gimme a hollar on PM when you get it. Ever have a question truck wise don't be afraid to ask. I been out here few years now I know quite a bit but nowhere near all.

And BTW if you ever find yourself in Los Angeles area. Hit up the petro off I10 miliken Ave exit 57. $20 parking but very safe armed patrols tons of parking and best digs in LA for comfort. The skillet there got some the best atmosphere and everyone always friendly and talkitive. I'm usually there about twice a month I run LA and back almost exclusively. Hands down the best place in LA area to stop.

Keep on trucking, stay safe out there brother.

w0lfpack91 said:
Hey man. Greetings from wherever the heck I am today lol. Welcome to the fold, and welcome to the wonderful world of hurry up and wait aka trucking.

Commit from Ohio to nevada must be a culture shock, I had similar in reverse when I was a bit younger moving from Arizona to Kentucky.

Who you drive for now? With companies a bit of advice I learned is contrary to popular belief there is no bad companies except PTL and UPG (both based out of KY one propane hazmat the other is discount swift) companies are like clothes they are all good just some fit better than others, I been around the block a bit too much un warned negativity now days. You been out there so you know how the BS game works a bit as a team you never really get a chance to stop and visit but once a week hit up a petro station in the iron skillet restraunt very lively social bunch. Atmosphere is great can pick up a lot of good solid advice and skills by listening to some the veteran drivers and former outlaws. Being 25 I understand it's hard out here. I've been at it for a few years now and I'm also 25. I can run with and at times outrun the best of them but the age will catch you crap often most these guys been driving since before we were born. But you ever need me gimme a hollar on PM when you get it. Ever have a question truck wise don't be afraid to ask. I been out here few years now I know quite a bit but nowhere near all.

And BTW if you ever find yourself in Los Angeles area. Hit up the petro off I10 miliken Ave exit 57. $20 parking but very safe armed patrols tons of parking and best digs in LA for comfort. The skillet there got some the best atmosphere and everyone always friendly and talkitive. I'm usually there about twice a month I run LA and back almost exclusively. Hands down the best place in LA area to stop.

Keep on trucking, stay safe out there brother.

It's funny you mentioned the I10 truck stop brother, I was just there for my 30 Min DOT break 7 hours ago. Currently I work for Knight Transportation, as a Port Driver. My runs will usually be from Oakland to whereever...

I was on a time crunch today from Medera CA to Buckeye AZ... ran out of Drive time at the receiver. After being late to pick up the load (due to not having a trailer Monday after dropping a load) I still made it before it was due! My ontime streak is still on course.

Anyway I'm stopped here at the Walmart for the evening. Gonna run to the bank in the morning to make a deposit and then hopefully off to home.

Written at Walmart in Buckeye AZ -PT-

PamperedTechie said:
It's funny you mentioned the I10 truck stop brother, I was just there for my 30 Min DOT break 7 hours ago. Currently I work for Knight Transportation, as a Port Driver. My runs will usually be from Oakland to whereever...

I was on a time crunch today from Medera CA to Buckeye AZ... ran out of Drive time at the receiver. After being late to pick up the load (due to not having a trailer Monday after dropping a load) I still made it before it was due! My ontime streak is still on course.

Anyway I'm stopped here at the Walmart for the evening. Gonna run to the bank in the morning to make a deposit and then hopefully off to home.

Yeah that's probably what I like the most about running reefer for a smaller company I'm never wanting for a trailer cuz I never drop it. In the 6 months I've worked for the company I'm with now I've maybe only had 6 trailers. Currently I got a load of wine from Los Angeles to Maryland and it only weighs 7000 pounds normally I'm pulling anywhere between 41,000 and 43,000 so this is a nice change of pace maybe I'll get more than 5 MPG lol. Diesel prices have been killing me lately.

Knight transport is a good company like I said there really isn't a bad company I've worked swift, celadon, Stevens, werner, and now I contract my truck to roadrunner in one of their small Kansas based reefer companies. And you get out of these places what you put in. When I was with Swift we were in a real bad load shortage on the dry van side eventually the lack of freight is why I left the company but just working with the planners and calling them asking them what they needed done goes a long way I remember I was up in the Sacramento area at the swift terminal it was just after Christmas Freight was dead all they had were local deliveries and all the drivers there we're all whining and complaining I called the planners everyday I told them what do you have that you need moved I don't care if it's local or one way and I started doing a lot of their local gigs while their day cab drivers were out on vacation didn't pay great but when they did finally have a good long run the planner called me and said even though there was about 30 trucks in front of me to be dispatched that because instead of complaining I actually willingly helped them even at the cost of my own pay I got the first good long run out of there back to the east coast where the freight was hopin and then at the end of January they put out their messages for bonuses and Driver of the month and all that stuff I got an $800 bonus and I was named Memphis terminal driver of the month everyone wants to down swift but I never had a problem with them these companies will take care of the drivers that take care of them after that my DM and my terminal manager ask me you know what kind of truck that I like and I mention that I really like the 660 Studios two weeks later I'm called back to a nearby terminal for truck reassignment then they throw me the keys to a 2014 Kenworth t660 Studio company truck with an inverter and one of the very few APU'S the company had which the 660 Studio company trucks are very rare in the entire fleet of a couple thousand trucks the only maybe had 10 of them the rest went on to the owner Ops but you know I took care of Swift and Swift took care of me once I pay my truck off and I'm ready to slow down a bit I'm probably going back to Swift.

w0lfpack91 said:
Yeah that's probably what I like the most about running reefer for a smaller company I'm never wanting for a trailer cuz I never drop it. In the 6 months I've worked for the company I'm with now I've maybe only had 6 trailers. Currently I got a load of wine from Los Angeles to Maryland and it only weighs 7000 pounds normally I'm pulling anywhere between 41,000 and 43,000 so this is a nice change of pace maybe I'll get more than 5 MPG lol. Diesel prices have been killing me lately.

Knight transport is a good company like I said there really isn't a bad company I've worked swift, celadon, Stevens, werner, and now I contract my truck to roadrunner in one of their small Kansas based reefer companies. And you get out of these places what you put in. When I was with Swift we were in a real bad load shortage on the dry van side eventually the lack of freight is why I left the company but just working with the planners and calling them asking them what they needed done goes a long way I remember I was up in the Sacramento area at the swift terminal it was just after Christmas Freight was dead all they had were local deliveries and all the drivers there we're all whining and complaining I called the planners everyday I told them what do you have that you need moved I don't care if it's local or one way and I started doing a lot of their local gigs while their day cab drivers were out on vacation didn't pay great but when they did finally have a good long run the planner called me and said even though there was about 30 trucks in front of me to be dispatched that because instead of complaining I actually willingly helped them even at the cost of my own pay I got the first good long run out of there back to the east coast where the freight was hopin and then at the end of January they put out their messages for bonuses and Driver of the month and all that stuff I got an $800 bonus and I was named Memphis terminal driver of the month everyone wants to down swift but I never had a problem with them these companies will take care of the drivers that take care of them after that my DM and my terminal manager ask me you know what kind of truck that I like and I mention that I really like the 660 Studios two weeks later I'm called back to a nearby terminal for truck reassignment then they throw me the keys to a 2014 Kenworth t660 Studio company truck with an inverter and one of the very few APU'S the company had which the 660 Studio company trucks are very rare in the entire fleet of a couple thousand trucks the only maybe had 10 of them the rest went on to the owner Ops but you know I took care of Swift and Swift took care of me once I pay my truck off and I'm ready to slow down a bit I'm probably going back to Swift.

Nice, my first truck was a T680 KW. Loved it. TV mount and everything. My dream truck is a Western Star.

Not to be nosey, but what does the return on being an O/O look like financial wise... I've debated doing it but don't know whether I should or not?

e60261f09e472690081b2dea53095dfa.jpg

Well funny you should mention the western star. Lol

Initially the pay is not as great as I would like but until the truck is paid off it's more along the lines of work work work and never go home to turn a profit but at the end once I make my last payment and that title comes back in my name clear I can start making massive profit currently I'm paid per mile not percentage the pay is lower but it's also more stable and reliable I don't have to worry about how much a load pay is I'm paid by however many miles those tires turn I get $1.05 per mile empty and $1.10 loaded which in the world of owner Ops that's quite low but on the other hand most owner operators are not paid for empty miles they're only paid for loaded and in that case I kind of makeup I don't have to worry about a 300 mile empty deadhead to pick up a load I'm paid for that 300 mile deadhead and in the end I make less money but I fare a lot better stability over quantity wins out any day I don't have to chase rates i could just go for miles and it gives me more freedom to stay out of areas that will bankrupt me if you go by percentage pay all the high-paying loads go up into the Northeast like New York or New Jersey or Massachusetts but the toll roads up there will bankrupt you if you have to pay them out of pocket I know there's one bridge in New York it cost almost $200 to cross once and it's the only bridge that goes to that section of the city that's rated for trucks so it cost 200 in $200 out what the mileage based pay I just stay on the West Coast and go back and forth from Kansas to LA

w0lfpack91 said:
e60261f09e472690081b2dea53095dfa.jpg

Well funny you should mention the western star. Lol

Initially the pay is not as great as I would like but until the truck is paid off it's more along the lines of work work work and never go home to turn a profit but at the end once I make my last payment and that title comes back in my name clear I can start making massive profit currently I'm paid per mile not percentage the pay is lower but it's also more stable and reliable I don't have to worry about how much a load pay is I'm paid by however many miles those tires turn I get $1.05 per mile empty and $1.10 loaded which in the world of owner Ops that's quite low but on the other hand most owner operators are not paid for empty miles they're only paid for loaded and in that case I kind of makeup I don't have to worry about a 300 mile empty deadhead to pick up a load I'm paid for that 300 mile deadhead and in the end I make less money but I fare a lot better stability over quantity wins out any day I don't have to chase rates i could just go for miles and it gives me more freedom to stay out of areas that will bankrupt me if you go by percentage pay all the high-paying loads go up into the Northeast like New York or New Jersey or Massachusetts but the toll roads up there will bankrupt you if you have to pay them out of pocket I know there's one bridge in New York it cost almost $200 to cross once and it's the only bridge that goes to that section of the city that's rated for trucks so it cost 200 in $200 out what the mileage based pay I just stay on the West Coast and go back and forth from Kansas to LA

Thanks. Btw is that your truck?

Written at Walmart In Buckeye AZ -PT-

Matt,
It's a slow reaction on my part, but welcome. I'm MixerOp (of course). And I wear while driving my Ready Mix Truck. It's good to have you here. Hope to talk with you more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back