Shrinking a onesie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapor

Est. Contributor
So i had a white ABU onesie and it fit perfectly all around. They recently came out with a new line the color style in black and I ordered it, but i noticed that it was alot more bagy than the white one. They say there 100 percent cotton and i was thinking that perhaps if i washed it in hot water it would fit better, but i have no idea how much it would shrink. Any advice?

Vapor said:
So i had a white ABU onesie and it fit perfectly all around. They recently came out with a new line the color style in black and I ordered it, but i noticed that it was alot more bagy than the white one. They say there 100 percent cotton and i was thinking that perhaps if i washed it in hot water it would fit better, but i have no idea how much it would shrink. Any advice?

I'd guess 10%-ish.

I just looked on the site, and I'm honestly a little surprised that they instruct people to "tumble dry low". Nobody wants to dry their clothes on low; it takes frickin' forever! They should providing sizing that accounts for shrinkage and then advise people to dry them on a normal setting. Onesies aren't supposed to be "delicates".

Demerit for ABU on this one.

EDIT: Baby Pants ftw. They have a shrinkage chart for theirs. Probably not applicable to the ABU ones, but the Baby Pants ones are cotton so I'm thinking this'll be close.

Last edited:
You will get the maximum shrinkage the first time you wash the onesie.
Wash it in the hottest water setting your washer provides.
Chances are it will not shrink a great deal as noted above maybe 10% at the best.

Now if the shrinkage does not happen to your fitting - then Plan B:
Did it shrink in the upper torso - the lower or in the all together.
The upper torso won't be so bad it will be like a tight t shirt - OK.
If in the lower then wearing bulky diapers maybe a problem and or
the snap poppers in the crotch won't close or stay closed another
thing to contend with.
If the waist did not shrink or was too long/large to begin with then
something that can be done is sew an elastic band inside a tunneled
fold around the waist or just at the back pulling the onesie tight on
the body.
Something go wrong with the snap poppers in the crotch think of Velcro strips for the closing.

Disaster the whole onesie goes out of proportion - see a seamstress for
solutions such as cutting the upper "T" shirt out and sewing a well fitting "T" shirt to the bottom half.
If the bottom portion has seen its limits then find a large enough panty and make adjustments
to sew that in as a replacement - think of sewing well fitting pieces and parts together to make
a custom onesie perhaps in something unique in a pastel color block pattern. Look at you the
court jester in a color block onesie whoo whoo !

In closing you really don't need an expensive onesie - you can make a leotard into one or
take a "T" shirt and a large panty and fashion one by sewing the pieces together.

Fitting onesies to little ones is pretty much an universal one size fits all - for the adult
a custom creation to form fit is perhaps a better way to go.
The pieces and parts together should not be that bad a deal - sewing with a seamstress
maybe the big expense.

I was thinking the same thing, I ordered a bodysuit that cautioned that it would shrink in hot water. I've had problems with ordering them too small, so I ordered a bit large. My plan is if it's too big I'll was it with some warm or hot water and shrink it down a bit.

Typical max material shrinkage varies, between 10-20% depending on what it's made of and the weave.

Once you get it where you want to, you have to remember to always wash it in cold water and dry on low heat or on a line or it will continue to shrink more if there's more shrink left in it.

I thought they suggested to wash in cold water

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

DLChad34 said:
I thought they suggested to wash in cold water

if you don't want it to shrink, yes, you have to be careful to keep the water cold. Otherwise a trip (or possibly two) through the wash on hot is going to cause it to shrink permanently 10-20%.

Ooooh ok ;)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

With some manufacturers they pre-shrink the fabric before sewing it together.
Read the itchy misplaced label inside the clothing before doing any laundry.

Some types of fabrics do not shrink at all and yet others with "VIRGIN" term used loosely
content may go shrink in different directions based on the bias of the fabric construction.
Cheaply mass produced clothing with little or no monitoring controls may do that.

So if considering doing sewing alterations launder the heck out of the garment before
doing those alterations.

When wearing a onesie error on the side of being slightly smaller in size as long as
you don't pop the snaps in the crotch piece. Only consider a bulky larger sizing if
doubling down on the number of diapers; pads; covers etc and the extra size room
is needed for the fit. Of course how you wear your onesie is your business but wearing
a sagging diaper is not good for stressing the onesie fabric stretching it out of shape.
Also consider if wearing something over the onesie concealing or hiding the
bulk may be a problem !

Finally if doing this for a fantasy consider when the urge is calling how much
trouble it will be to get undressed even partially to relieve the moment that is
unless you serious make use of your very own personal porta potty and the
need afterwards to launder the mess created !
I have created a monster and it is ME !

Gotta say for me BBpants sizing chart was spot-on.

You mig be able to get it too shrink some, I have had this problem in the past and never had much luck with shrinking a onesie enough to make a difference. You might be able to return it if you contact abu and explain your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back