Thread: The Science and Economics of Diapers

Default The Science and Economics of Diapers

I ran across this in-depth article about why baby diapers became so thin, and found it to be a good read.

gladwell dot com - smaller

Perhaps some of you have already seen it, as it's from 2001, but it's interesting to see how much research and development goes into diaper design.

angelabauer

Crinkley, a million thanks for sharing this article. Funny, I try to keep up with advances in all diapers, which includes Huggies. We subscribe to The new Yorker yet I clearly missed this fascinating article, which I must say is even better when you read the PDF option on the link.

Members here who have waded through my posts about disposable construction on other sites might remember how often I mention Carlos Richer. He is the person who started the industry of manufacturing disposable diapers in Latin America. As a result he has become the go-to consultant world-wide in the baby disposable diaper industry. At his main facility in Monterey, Mexico he has a fascinating disposable diaper quality test lab.

Everyone should have the chance to meet and spend quality time with Carlos Richer. Oh yes, he always has good deals on brand new or slightly used disposable diaper making machines. I suppoded those were only used by Little Old Ladies From Pasadena to make diapers on Sundays.

So, when you finish reading the article about 2001 Huggies Ultratrim written by Malcolm Gladwell, you will adore seeing the Carlos Richer Consultants website:

Welcome To The Disposable Diaper Net

Nothing anyone wants to know about baby disposables is missing here. He even provides instructions how you can win awards at science fairs conducting your own disposable diaper comparison tests.

Just a hint to TB, would the excuse, "I am buying these diapers for my science fair project" work for you?

Another hint: to correctly test diapers you need a special mixture, not real urine, sort of salt water.

Fascinating stuff. Very educational and entertaining.

Thanks Angela, for the link to Carlos Richer's site. Looks like tons of information that can't all be consumed in one sitting, but is a great way to learn more about the diaper industry.

I've sometimes wondered if it would be possible to modify one of those used diaper machines to make larger baby diapers for adults. Probably not so easy nor cost effective, but sounds good in theory.

I browsed through the FAQs, and found that this one confirms my theory about the cloth-like outer covering of disposable diapers:
    Frequently Asked Questions about Disposable Diapers

The supposed breatheability of these diapers is just a marketing gimmick, and just a perception of better comfort to the mother, but as the wearers, we have first hand experience and know better.
    Last edited by Crinkly; 21-Mar-2009 at 22:07.

Or maybe find out how the pull ups are made and perhaps make a machine to make bigger Goodnites with our own patterns on them and make them on the thicker and more absorbent side as well.

A very interesting article which provides some insight into the science behind the diaper.

Too bad that all this diaper science drove them in exactly the wrong direction (thinner and less crinkly)! Well, the baby diapers anyway.

angelabauer

Although the change to cloth-like with Velcro tabs and super gel to reduce fluff are not popular with ABDL, the reality is until the volume of diapers was reduced for storage and shipping, the price would have increased a lot.

Fortunately there are some adult diaper brands that are thicker, more like the 1980's but please notice they are significantly more expensive than the brands of adult diapers used by incontinent people and in hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamperable View Post
    "Your baby's comfort begins with Luvs"... I can still hear that commercial jingle running through my head
    How about the "you've got those comfy little Baby Pants" jingle? Those were the best days of disposable diaperdom.

Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    Although the change to cloth-like with Velcro tabs and super gel to reduce fluff are not popular with ABDL, the reality is until the volume of diapers was reduced for storage and shipping, the price would have increased a lot.

Fortunately there are some adult diaper brands that are thicker, more like the 1980's but please notice they are significantly more expensive than the brands of adult diapers used by incontinent people and in hospitals.
    Are the brands used by those folks you mentioned any good? I happen to like the cloth-backed type for the stealth, though they require some imagination...

The less-good types work well enough for recreational use, but I can't imagine hospital-grade use out of such things. Am I missing something? Perhaps they use brands/types with which I'm not yet familiar.