Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pope and Condoms

Default Pope and Condoms

Did you guys heard what Pope said yesterday about condoms and AIDS?

If not, here what he said:
    <Condoms are not helping to prevent diffusion of AIDS, they just makes it worse>.

It is proved condoms, with a succes of 99%, prevents the transmission of Sexual transmitted diseases like AIDS.
    This is the last B******t in order of time this sick old man said.
    It is proved that pope isn't a doctor or an expert of STD or any close field of knowledge.

After all this time, his word doesn't hurt me anymore, just it is not acceptable that a man keep going against what scientific society says and is proved.

I really liked the reaction of the Spain to this:
    <we'll send 1 million of condoms to Africa>

small rant from me. what do you think?

From what I can interpet from that, and I could be way off the mark....

Is that condoms put us under some illusion that if it's used during sex, then you aren't going to get any form of STD. So instead of people refraining from sex with multiple partners because they're afraid... they just think it's alright if they slip on a condom, when in all reality it's not.... and there is still a chance you'll get AIDS. Refraining from sex, or sex with just ONE partner who is also faithful who is also clean is the only way to not have the chance of AIDS.... Condoms make people (Especially young people) think that it's alright to have sex with multiple partners, because they won't get any STD's with a condom.

So yeah... I think maybe that's what he meant.

Also, that 99% rate statistic is bullshit. It's not that high. I don't have my books with me so I can't give you what the Health Canada statistics are, but it's not 99%.

Butterfly Mage

Well... when gays started using condoms, it AIDS stopped being a "gay" disease really fast. But gays didn't stop having sex, that's for sure. they just stopped getting sick. So, thee Pope is full of it.

Besides, isn't his degree in theology and not medicine? Why not get the opinion of a car mechanic on the efficacy of condoms vs AIDS. It'd be just as valid, har har.

When it comes to medical issues, if the person talking doesn't have "M.D." after their name, I'm generally not too impressed. Personally, the Pope ought to be sued for offering medical advice without a license. His edict is just going to get a bunch of people killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Abby View Post
    From what I can interpet from that, and I could be way off the mark....

Is that condoms put us under some illusion that if it's used during sex, then you aren't going to get any form of STD. So instead of people refraining from sex with multiple partners because they're afraid... they just think it's alright if they slip on a condom, when in all reality it's not.... and there is still a chance you'll get AIDS. Refraining from sex, or sex with just ONE partner who is also faithful who is also clean is the only way to not have the chance of AIDS.... Condoms make people (Especially young people) think that it's alright to have sex with multiple partners, because they won't get any STD's with a condom.

So yeah... I think maybe that's what he meant.
    I agree, Without the full context, I'm refraining to put out an opinion. I thought that some social implications cause by condoms may be his reasoning as to how he made such a rational conclusion.

as for 99%? On a wait basis? Per use? Per Minute? What? I don't know. We're assuming things that people don't realise.

Say that it block HIV 99% of the time for every minute you're having intercourse. After 30 minutes. there is a 1 in 4 chance that you now have HIV. Worried now? :P

While Abby is most likely correct in her interpretation of what the Pope said, I certainly don't agree that condoms make AIDS more widely spread. Let's look at certain countries in Africa where the Pope has a lot of influence and what he says pretty much goes. Noticed how they have a full blown AIDS epidemic?

Most people will have sex since they don't seem to have the same phobia of it as the Pope, and condoms, if used, are a great way to minimize possible risks that's connected to it.

And you're right Abby, condoms aren't 99% foolproof. However, you don't stand a 100% chance of catching HIV when you have sex with an infected person. From Wikipedia:

"According to a 2000 report by the National Institutes of Health, correct and consistent use of latex condoms reduces the risk of HIV/AIDS transmission by approximately 85% relative to risk when unprotected, putting the seroconversion rate (infection rate) at 0.9 per 100 person-years with condom, down from 6.7 per 100 person-years. The same review also found condom use significantly reduces the risk of gonorrhea for men."

So if you actually manage to hook up with somebody with HIV/AIDS and use a condom the statistical chances for getting infected is 0.9%. Meaning you're actually 99.1% safe rather than 99%.

In my opinion, the Pope is the cause of a whole lot more problems than he could possibly hope to solve by his outdated and dangerous standpoints.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by UnMarth View Post
    Say that it block HIV 99% of the time for every minute you're having intercourse. After 30 minutes. there is a 1 in 4 chance that you now have HIV. Worried now? :P
    No, there isn't since HIV doesn't have a 100% infection rate. And I presume that condom success rates are based on a one intercourse basis, and not minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by UnMarth View Post
    That would be a really long time to be doing it O.o.

Anyways, I'm going to have to say, that this is probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I'm going to have to disagree with Abby. From when I was in I think the 4th grade, I was taught at school to wait until married to have sex, and always use a condom, BUT that condoms don't always work and that we should be careful. Then I had it taught by my parents since I was like 5 that sex was what you should only do when you were in love and that they would give me a condom if I really loved someone XD. So, we are taught, from an early age, just by our school that condoms don't ALWAYS work, but usually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Samaki View Post
    From when I was in I think the 4th grade, I was taught at school to wait until married to have sex, and always use a condom, BUT that condoms don't always work and that we should be careful.
    Catholics do not believe in the use of Condoms....

EDIT: Okay, I get your post now.... And you may have been taught that, and so have other people, but note the "they're sometimes effective." And I know I've always been taught "Condoms protect you more than not wearing a condom, so make sure you wear one."

Quote Originally Posted by Abby View Post
    "Condoms protect you more than not wearing a condom, so make sure you wear one."
    The key thing here is that you did not quote "Condoms ALWAYS protect you" . I do see where your coming form though, a lot of people that teach this stuff are vague about it.

The pope is an idiot if he meant the statement literally, as in, wearing a condom is more likely to get you AIDS/HIV. If he meant what Abby said, then he's still a bit stupid, as the use of condoms doesn't just stop AIDS/HIVe but other STDs like Gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis etc