Battling Internalized Diaper Stigma

Status
Not open for further replies.
xpluswearer said:
Well you have to do what is best for you and your health and well being. I would suggest wearing the Abena Abri Form that you wear for nighttime during the day also. you will be fine wearing them all day long and have plenty of protection for a good chunk of the day. Its a hard choice to do but as one long time ADISC member said would you rather have a wet diaper than wet pants. It will take a bit to get used to them during the daytime just go throughout your day as normal and you will be fine. I know it is going to be a adjustment you do have a life to live so do not let diapers get in the way of it. You will be fine just give it a try for a few days if you are comfortable with it continue if not then try a alternative. I would say better to have more protection then not enough . Relax and enjoy life.

For bedtime I have been getting better at feeling comfortable. When my roommate is out of the house, I feel comfortable, but I feel like I am hiding something when she is around.

I have been out and about in a pull-up, but I didn't feel like it was offering enough protection. It was a Always Discrete, smells nice. Also I was worried about it smelling since I wear Skirts 99% of the time. I really hate pants, so restricting (I really don't know how guys deal with pants).

I can't imagine wearing a Abena M4 out in public, for one it makes me walk funny and it makes so much noise.

I really need to try a Molicare and a Dry/24. I have never worn them before.

You will not escape the noise its the part of the Plastic backed diapers. You could use a underwear to muffle some of the noise or a Nylon or Plastic diaper cover to muffle the noise or a onsie type thing which will add to the time to change into fresh diaper. Nylon wind pants will help too. You should not walk differently with a diaper on that is until you get used to walking in them and adapt to them. Dry 24-7 is a bit thicker Molicare when I tried them the elastics dug into my inner leg areas UGH It was just me I think. You will be fine. Do not worry about a thing. Just live your life and stay dry with the proper protection .

iam32bit said:
(I really don't know how guys deal with pants).

We're just so used to wearing pants that we don't think about it. If we grew up wearing skirts, many of us would probably think like you.

xpluswearer said:
You will not escape the noise its the part of the Plastic backed diapers. You could use a underwear to muffle some of the noise or a Nylon or Plastic diaper cover to muffle the noise or a onsie type thing which will add to the time to change into fresh diaper. Nylon wind pants will help too. You should not walk differently with a diaper on that is until you get used to walking in them and adapt to them. Dry 24-7 is a bit thicker Molicare when I tried them the elastics dug into my inner leg areas UGH It was just me I think. You will be fine. Do not worry about a thing. Just live your life and stay dry with the proper protection .

So today I woke with an intense and painful urge to pee and the second I got up I flooded my diaper. I am really thankful I was wearing it. Ugh... I hate diapers.

xpluswearer said:
You will not escape the noise its the part of the Plastic backed diapers.
Really depends on the diaper, some aren't much noisier then swish pants
You should not walk differently with a diaper on that is until you get used to walking in them and adapt to them.
If you have to consider your walking, you aren't wearing the right diaper at least for daytime

Due to a biking accident I have needed to wear full time adult brief protection all the time without bowel or bladder control at night and limited bowel control during the day. These days I wear Seni Quatro medium brief. I use Abena fecal pad with net pants often under a M4 brief too. I would remove the pad when wet by just pulling it out of the outer diaper. Then I'm wearing net pants BETWEEN my skin and the diaper surface. There are two reasons why the inner net pants helps one's comfort and containment. First, the diaper is more comfortable especially for long periods of wearing, you just pee right through the net pants. Second, these pants keep one's penis pointed down and secure. Because of this I am able to minimize leaks from side sleeping and exercise. The net pants can be washed in a second and dry very quickly Lastly, the soft pants decrease craffing between the diaper surface and one's inner thigh. And as far as chaffing, I also recommend Codivian Barrier Film. I wonder what you all thing of my insight.

iam32bit said:
So today I woke with an intense and painful urge to pee and the second I got up I flooded my diaper. I am really thankful I was wearing it. Ugh... I hate diapers.
Now are you glad you had that diaper on then wetting your bed or couch? I do not "like " the fact I have to wear diapers either. I wish I could be fully continent bladder wise. You are going to have to realize that wearing diapers will give you a better quality of life and you will be able to get your daily life complete. Its hard I know We are here for you if you need us. Diapers are like glasses or other medical aid.

xpluswearer said:
Now are you glad you had that diaper on then wetting your bed or couch? I do not "like " the fact I have to wear diapers either. I wish I could be fully continent bladder wise. You are going to have to realize that wearing diapers will give you a better quality of life and you will be able to get your daily life complete. Its hard I know We are here for you if you need us. Diapers are like glasses or other medical aid.

As much as I was happy I didn't pee the bed or the floor, I am still mad that I had used my diaper. Ugh... I feel terrible. I almost peed my pants at work today... I am NEVER using a diaper outside my house. NEVER...

These days I wear Seni Quatro medium brief. I use Abena fecal pad with net pants often under a M4 brief too. I would remove the pad when wet by just pulling it out of the outer diaper. Then I'm wearing net pants BETWEEN my skin and the diaper surface. There are two reasons why the inner net pants helps one's comfort and containment. .[/QUOTE]

Might be going with them, of all the ones med supplys will stock in the area these days, they look the best of the cloth like options (the only option they will stock >>; )

but to the original poster, don't think of diapers as something shameful, think of them as something that supports you and better lets you live you life and lets you take responsibility for a weakness.

- - - Updated - - -

iam32bit said:
As much as I was happy I didn't pee the bed or the floor, I am still mad that I had used my diaper. Ugh... I feel terrible. I almost peed my pants at work today... I am NEVER using a diaper outside my house. NEVER...

if its becoming that much of an issue, you really need to see a doctor,

iam32bit said:
Well I will say dont say I did not warn you. I agree wth Rennecfox you do need to see a doctor HOWEVER in the meantime --What I am going to say will be harsh , You are going to have to wear a diaper 24-7 UNTIL you see a doctor! Please for your health and sanitation wear a diaper you will thank me in the long run .Do you want to have a accident at work and be forced to clean it up? or have your co workers laugh and make fun of you, or even worse your boss fires you for damage to his or her property yes he or she can do that . So To be brunt wear a diaper it will be okay we are here if you need encouragement. I did not want to wear diapers either Now looking back I do not regret the decision to wear them. Your resistance or reluctance will end up with being disappointed with the after effects of not wearing them. Think of them as Glasses or hearing aids or a wrist brace for carpal tunnel. Trust me you will thank me tomorrow for us here wear one to work and we will be here for you if you need us . you have the ADISC community behind you .

xpluswearer said:
Well I will say dont say I did not warn you. I agree wth Rennecfox you do need to see a doctor HOWEVER in the meantime --What I am going to say will be harsh , You are going to have to wear a diaper 24-7 UNTIL you see a doctor! Please for your health and sanitation wear a diaper you will thank me in the long run .Do you want to have a accident at work and be forced to clean it up? or have your co workers laugh and make fun of you, or even worse your boss fires you for damage to his or her property yes he or she can do that . So To be brunt wear a diaper it will be okay we are here if you need encouragement. I did not want to wear diapers either Now looking back I do not regret the decision to wear them. Your resistance or reluctance will end up with being disappointed with the after effects of not wearing them. Think of them as Glasses or hearing aids or a wrist brace for carpal tunnel. Trust me you will thank me tomorrow for us here wear one to work and we will be here for you if you need us . you have the ADISC community behind you .

Umm... No... I am not going to do that. I think it was just a one off thing. Except... that I just flooded a pull-up that I had on and it leaked on my computer chair and to the floor. UGH... FML...

I, too, had a similar problem, but mine was even more complex. Imagine being somewhat of a DL, just engaging in a bit of naughty play with them here and there, infrequently - then all of the sudden HAVING to wear them all the time for medical reasons. Super awkward. Not fun at all. It took sooo long to be able to go about my workday without feeling totally weird about it, but I'm almost completely over it.

Now for some practical advice, it's obviously better to wear a diaper and not worry about having to explain why your computer chair and floor are wet (although I have had to tell a few white lies to avoid embarrassment as well - the trick is to be cool about it). As for what specific diapers to wear, I wear Dry 24/7s frequently, as they are the most absorbent I've found and aren't very loud UNTIL they're significantly wet. A pair of jeans can conceal all that noise though. I am giving Wellness Superios a shot now for my daytime diaper, they're much thinner and even quieter than the Dry 24/7s (although I still use them for overnight and when I won't be able to or don't want to have to change for hours upon hours).

Oh, and one more tip. Your attention will become super attuned to the sound of your diaper, much more than anyone else. I'm not saying that they won't hear it, but that they won't be looking for it like you are. If they do hear it, a diaper making that noise is the last thing they'll think about. The few times when it is apparent (like walking down a quiet small hallway with a coworker at the office, etc) I'll just start whistling or humming under my breath until the hallway ends, to add something else for their attention to draw towards. Totally normal and not awkward. Or you could do like many of the others here, and just stop worrying about it - any time I feel embarrassed, I tell my self "Do diabetics feel embarrassed they have to check their blood sugar periodically or administer insulin? No!"

EDIT: I completely forgot about Molicare Super Plus! Slim and quiet, absorbs a ton, I just don't wear them because they're (currently) purple. As a girl, that may be more up your alley, heh.

Last edited:
Well said Plot Twist and spot on ! I sure hope that this person takes our advice its not meant to be mean but to help. We all hate to see someone suffering with Incontinence. Its only for the persons own benefit and to have a better quality of life and dignity, they will thank us in the long run. Also as we said earlier seek out a Doctor for help also do not suffer with Incontinence alone, having a doctor in your corner is your best asset believe us.

iam32bit said:
Umm... No... I am not going to do that. I think it was just a one off thing. Except... that I just flooded a pull-up that I had on and it leaked on my computer chair and to the floor. UGH... FML...

Denial is not going to make this go away, seriously see a urologist asap

EDIT: I completely forgot about Molicare Super Plus! Slim and quiet, absorbs a ton, I just don't wear them because they're (currently) purple. As a girl, that may be more up your alley, heh.

You're in luck, they changed the backing to blue.

Last edited:
rennecfox said:
Denial is not going to make this go away, seriously see a urologist asap

Every time I go to my doctor he doesn't refer me to a Urologist. Instead he claims that my Medications are the cause of it all.

I am going to try not wearing a diaper tonight. I am certain that this is all in my head.

Thanks for the concern, but I don't want to wear diapers... ugh...

We are only trying to help you give you suggestions only. From the probably thousands of years of combined experience of each and every one of us ADISC members we hope you choose wisely. If Your Doctor says its the medications Say I want a second opinion I want a referral to a urologist if he does not its time to choose another primary care family physician doctor that will be receptive to your needs. Please do not give up. Its not in your head . Your body has a issue that needs to be taken care of whatever it may be.
Doctor should have done blood tests or urnianalysis to check for Glucose levels or A I C levels
Doctor should do a Ultrasound and a CT Scan of the abdomen and pelvic regions to check for abnormalities
Doctor should go through the PDR and see what medications he or she can prescribe differently
there are many things the Doctor can do to help you.
FYI Hope you like a wet mattress. You are making a mistake in my view.

I too thought "this is all in my head", then I'd try not wearing and end up having an accident or not sleeping because I'd wake up to use the bathroom 3 times in a night.

In the end it's your choice, I personally choose to wear to get my life back to the way it was before I was diagnosed with incontinece. You have to chose the best way that fits your lifestyle.

Even as a seasoned nappy wearer, I still sometimes struggle with having to wear based upon my internal stigma and get awfully upset about it on days where I wish I wasn't wearing protection.
In some circumstances, Ie when going to a nightclub or going out with friends, wearing a nappy is really at the bottom of my priority list.

I've been caught out in the past when I've decided to go against my better judgement and go out with just underwear on and caused a complete mess and really embarrassed myself!

iam32bit said:
I am going to try not wearing a diaper tonight. I am certain that this is all in my head.

And if you can't control your bladder what exactly is this accomplishing but making yourself even more upset? If this doctor isn't helping you seek one that will, discuss your concern about not liking to use drugs. Even if there is a psychological component, you should be able to consult it with your doctor see if he might possibly refer you to a psychologist. Again not saying you should wear diapers forever if you don't have to, but you need to wear them until you can get to the bottom of whats causing these problems if for no other reason then its unsanitary and more work for yourself having accidents. Problems like this don't just go away because you say "go away". Would you undo stitches before knowing if the wound healed in the off chance the wound might not open up again?

Last edited:
I am also on heavy diuretic 160 furosemide. I take 80 morning and 80 at night. I use cloth diapers 24/7, double prefold at night and velcro diaper with diaper cover during day and can use a doubler if needed. Now my diapers last me YEARS. I have not used disposibles in at least 5 years and don't work as good as cloth diaper. And I never pay more then $27. a diaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back