Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Public experience

Default Public experience

I just _have_ to share this experience with the folks here. I went shopping for groceries today, took one of my children along. I was wearing a diaper with plastic pants under regular clothes. At the grocery store my little one was restless and wanted to run around. So eventually I was dumb enough to let him, and sure enough he got creative and climbed up a display of individually wrapped sesame snack thingies. He managed to tip it over causing quite a bit of a mess. So I put him back in the shopping cart, and got down on my hands and knees to gather the spilled snacks to put them back in the display that I had righted back up. So far it was just an ordinary experience of parenting, I guess. But what came next was far from ordinary in my experience (although I think it should be, in some respects, but that's a long discussion...): a man came up to me, touched my arm to get my attention, and started speaking to me. In my flustered state of cleaning-up-the-mess-while-making-sure-my-child-is-safe-in-the-crowded-grocery-store-on-a-Saturday-afternoon it took me a moment to understand what he wanted from me. In short, he pointed out that my plastic pants had been showing, and he wanted to know whether I was wearing out of necessity or out of choice. Whew, I was really really taken by surprise, and at first didn't know what to say. I think I said something defensive like: "Isn't that an excessively personal question to ask a stranger?" But he was unfazed, very polite and maybe even a bit of a charmer. He quickly recovered the situation and said that in his case it was somewhere in between, so that either way I didn't need to be embarrassed. "I am wearing a diaper right now!" he exclaimed, and if I recall correctly, he added: "I just think it's cool and wanted to share that with you." Then he walked away.

I am still stunned. But then again I am reminded of other times when a stranger compliments me on a sleek suit I wear or some nifty shoes. But then again this is really quite different.

That would really throw me off. I'm not sure what to think of that.

Oh well. Humans are a complicated species.

angelabauer

Okay, pants sag at the wrong times. This is why adult Onesies in plain white are available.

Not only does the Onesies hold your diaper in the most effective position, because it is seamless in back your diaper top is always disguised.

Incontinence tip # 1

Good luck next time.

I would have responded defensively too. If I saw someone's plastic pants showing I might tell them but I definately wouldn't ask them why they were wearing them. You're right, that's too personal.

umm, well, in the maybe 5 occasions where i've seen someone in diapers other than me (children notwithsanding) i have always kept my mouth shut. personally, that guy should've waited until after the situation was over, or, better, offered to help. not, 'Are those diapers you are wearing?' in the middle of a crowded supermarket

In hindsight I think he must have been an AB/DL himself. That's the only explanation for a normal person to ask this kind of indiscreet question to a stranger.

On a personal level I am actually glad this happened because it taught me that I don't get shaken to the core when a stranger confronts me about wearing diapers. It's true that I was taken aback at first, but I didn't break out in a panic or feel totally embarrassed. I was more shocked about his brazenness than about "being discovered". And that's a good feeling for me. :-)

Wow thats crazy! Even if I saw someone wearing diapers I don't think I would ever go up and ask them that kind of question!

Let's see. When I first saw this thread, I though it would be one of those run of the mill "OMG I ALMOST GOT CAUGHT" stories. Then I saw that kids were involved, and the OP has a neg rep, and I though "Oh God, what now". Then I read it, and I thought "Uhm...Ok this is weird". This is really a random story, and I don't know if I really believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    Let's see. When I first saw this thread, I though it would be one of those run of the mill "OMG I ALMOST GOT CAUGHT" stories. Then I saw that kids were involved, and the OP has a neg rep, and I though "Oh God, what now". Then I read it, and I thought "Uhm...Ok this is weird". This is really a random story, and I don't know if I really believe it.
    Pojo: Sound kinda Deekerish to you?