Medications Causing Frequent Urination

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had to be on diamox the rest of my life and it made me have urge incontinence like I had experienced I'd be for sure trying to get a prescription for diapers. Even tho that's not the case with me I've ok with wearing diapers as a matter of convenience. It's about accepting the fact that u now need them. Once u realize how freeing it is to not worry about accidents or urges u will be fine. U do definitely need a thick diaper if u want it to last 6-8 hrs without changing. I pee 10 to 20 times over the course of the day/night and I only use Abena or dry 24/7 I go thru 2 to 4 diapers a day

nikthewerelion said:
If I had to be on diamox the rest of my life and it made me have urge incontinence like I had experienced I'd be for sure trying to get a prescription for diapers. Even tho that's not the case with me I've ok with wearing diapers as a matter of convenience. It's about accepting the fact that u now need them. Once u realize how freeing it is to not worry about accidents or urges u will be fine. U do definitely need a thick diaper if u want it to last 6-8 hrs without changing. I pee 10 to 20 times over the course of the day/night and I only use Abena or dry 24/7 I go thru 2 to 4 diapers a day

I was able to reduce my need for Diapers by reducing some of the medications I was on. I still have to take one of the worst offenders and there isn't an alternative.

At this point I am seriously only going to use them when it is more convenient. They are comfortable and do induce a relaxing feeling (I really can't explain why). I am not into the whole DL or AB thing. For convenience, Diapers can be very useful in certain situations.

You could try Depends for men, I've seen them in Wal-Mart. When my cloth diapers are in the laundry I wear Depends for Women they work ok but I have to wear plastic pants over them. There are discreet plastic pants available that are low cut and are pretty quiet.

to always, the only depends diapers that we're halfway decent were the plastic backed fitted briefs and now they've changed those to cloth back making them far worse from what I've heard and now for me it's not even worth bothering with them as a last resort.

To iam32bit, yeah diapers as a convenience have become a necessity for me now. My mom thinks I'm just lazy butt sstill a great help to me not having to worry about where or when I pee because I'm diapered. Urges can come on pretty suddenly and I can hold my bladder for like maybe 15 mins but beyond that there's more of a chance I could leak a tiny bit and once that happens there's a good chance that I'll have to pee very soon after. Considering that I now use a white cane to walk and it takes a lot longer to get places and trying to walk fast this way is just unrealistic , this means that I'm less likely to get to a bathroom in situations where I don't have the time me. Like if I'm waiting for the bus or on the bus or walking anywhere around my town. I can't be trying to hurry to get to a bathroom if I can't see well enuff to make it there fast enuff, even if I know where it is. Diapers allow me more freedom and safety when I'm out in about cuz I'm never in a hurry. I do use less diapers now that I'm back home from rehab, like 2 to 3 a day, but that's only because I live in a smaller town then where I had rehab at, so there's a lot less traveling around. I also don't wear them at home during the day much, but I do wear every night just in case I wet the bed. This doesn't happen often but since I usually pee 2 to 3 times a night it's just easier to use my diapers then to get up so often and lose sleep or, delay my falling asleep further by having to get up.

nikthewerelion said:
to always, the only depends diapers that we're halfway decent were the plastic backed fitted briefs and now they've changed those to cloth back making them far worse from what I've heard and now for me it's not even worth bothering with them as a last resort.

To iam32bit, yeah diapers as a convenience have become a necessity for me now. My mom thinks I'm just lazy butt sstill a great help to me not having to worry about where or when I pee because I'm diapered. Urges can come on pretty suddenly and I can hold my bladder for like maybe 15 mins but beyond that there's more of a chance I could leak a tiny bit and once that happens there's a good chance that I'll have to pee very soon after. Considering that I now use a white cane to walk and it takes a lot longer to get places and trying to walk fast this way is just unrealistic , this means that I'm less likely to get to a bathroom in situations where I don't have the time me. Like if I'm waiting for the bus or on the bus or walking anywhere around my town. I can't be trying to hurry to get to a bathroom if I can't see well enuff to make it there fast enuff, even if I know where it is. Diapers allow me more freedom and safety when I'm out in about cuz I'm never in a hurry. I do use less diapers now that I'm back home from rehab, like 2 to 3 a day, but that's only because I live in a smaller town then where I had rehab at, so there's a lot less traveling around. I also don't wear them at home during the day much, but I do wear every night just in case I wet the bed. This doesn't happen often but since I usually pee 2 to 3 times a night it's just easier to use my diapers then to get up so often and lose sleep or, delay my falling asleep further by having to get up.

Sleeping is still annoying for me. Like last night, I went to bed at 12AM only to wakeup at 1:58AM to pee. It took me about 30 minutes to go back to sleep. Then I woke up again at 6AM to pee once again. I tried to use a Abena X-Plus, but I wake up fully and have to sit up in order to comfortably use it. Then I can go back to sleep quicker. I am still not sure wearing one to sleep is beneficial or not. I always go pee prior to going to sleep, this is an attempt to prevent waking up.

Prior to being on a Diuretic, I never had to wake up to pee. It really drains me and makes it harder to get started in the morning. I guess the question is, should I try to become more comfortable using a diaper at night? I just want to be able to sleep soundly through the night and not have to get up to pee.

iam32bit said:
Sleeping is still annoying for me. Like last night, I went to bed at 12AM only to wakeup at 1:58AM to pee. It took me about 30 minutes to go back to sleep. Then I woke up again at 6AM to pee once again. I tried to use a Abena X-Plus, but I wake up fully and have to sit up in order to comfortably use it. Then I can go back to sleep quicker. I am still not sure wearing one to sleep is beneficial or not. I always go pee prior to going to sleep, this is an attempt to prevent waking up.

Prior to being on a Diuretic, I never had to wake up to pee. It really drains me and makes it harder to get started in the morning. I guess the question is, should I try to become more comfortable using a diaper at night? I just want to be able to sleep soundly through the night and not have to get up to pee.

If you wear every night you'll soon get comfortable with it. You'll wake up and pee and go back to sleep easy. I've been wearing cloth prefolds with a booster and PUL panties for three years now.
I find I sleep much better in them. I'll average 2-3 wets a night and no leaks.

It will get easier, I been wearing arenas to bed every night since 2012, which is when I started using coal machine for sleep apnea and when my wetting started. I'm so used to it now that even if I wake up at 2 or 3 am to pee, I'm usually only awake enuff to wet my diaper and I'm back to sleep again in like 5 mins, I'd say that I really am only half awake when I do that. Sometimes I'll sleep straight thru for 5 or 6 hrs and have wet my diaper and not realize it at all. Other times I wake up early in the morning with a wicked urge to pee, and usually I'll just wet my diaper and sleep till 6 or 9 am

nikthewerelion said:
It will get easier, I been wearing arenas to bed every night since 2012, which is when I started using coal machine for sleep apnea and when my wetting started. I'm so used to it now that even if I wake up at 2 or 3 am to pee, I'm usually only awake enuff to wet my diaper and I'm back to sleep again in like 5 mins, I'd say that I really am only half awake when I do that. Sometimes I'll sleep straight thru for 5 or 6 hrs and have wet my diaper and not realize it at all. Other times I wake up early in the morning with a wicked urge to pee, and usually I'll just wet my diaper and sleep till 6 or 9 am

I will continue trying, I am really annoyed with the whole situation. So I shouldn't feel ashamed?

iam32bit said:
I will continue trying, I am really annoyed with the whole situation. So I shouldn't feel ashamed?

Absolutely not!

I meant cpap machine

iam32bit,

I wanted to say that if you don't want to wear and don't have to because of sudden urges, you can get used to getting up at night that often over time. It gradually becomes second nature and you get used to going back to sleep. I'm not saying it doesn't disrupt your sleep - but you do get used to it.

Last edited:
Pinguinito said:
iam32bit,

I wanted to say that if you don't want to wear and don't have to because of sudden urges, you can get used to getting up at night that often over time. It gradually becomes second nature and you get used to going back to sleep. I'm not saying it doesn't disrupt your sleep - but you do get used to it.

I do get urges that are strong and sudden and is painful to hold. I was told that my medications were the cause. I can't stop them or replace them. On the rare night that I don't have to wake up, I wake up in the morning feeling energetic and refreshed. Most nights when I have to wake up to pee, the morning is rough and I feel the need for coffee or something to wake me up.

iam32bit said:
I do get urges that are strong and sudden and is painful to hold. I was told that my medications were the cause. I can't stop them or replace them. On the rare night that I don't have to wake up, I wake up in the morning feeling energetic and refreshed. Most nights when I have to wake up to pee, the morning is rough and I feel the need for coffee or something to wake me up.

I'm sorry to hear that iam32bit.

I can see why you are wearing at night now as there must be the risk you're not going to make it - and having to rush must be annoying and potentially dangerous too.

I'm quite different - I have to get up - but I have plenty of time to do so. It is just that I can't sleep until I've been to the bathroom, once I need to go and I have to get up a couple of times a night on average. I've learnt to walk to the bathroom without putting the light on and waking my partner - even when I'm somewhere I haven't been before.

I hope wearing at night works out for you and you can sleep in comfort once you get used to it.

iam32bit said:
I am debating on wearing diapers to help manage my frequent urges to urinate. I am on a high dose Diuretic for other medical conditions. This is not something I can stop taking and there aren't any alternatives for me. I talked to my doctor and he said "I am certain it is your medication that is causing it". He told me that I should look into managing it, but he didn't recommend any medications.

I wake up 9 out of 10 nights to pee and it really isn't all that much. Then thought the day I pee about 10 times. It is really irritating especially when doing cross state drives. Having to stop constantly makes traveling more cumbersome.

I have tried Abena Abiform X-Plus in the past. I found it easy to get used to, however it was quite expensive. Also, wearing in public is not something I feel comfortable doing.

Any tips or ideas that could help?

Well, I said my peace/piece in another thread, so I won't double up here, other than to say that wearing a diaper is no big deal, unless you make it one. It's a great solution for nights, once you find the right brand, and the right amount of stuffers. As for day travel, they are a great solution. My wife, a vanilla, uses them, on occasion, for travel/movies, but probably wouldn't, if she weren't married to a DL, but, still, it gives her options she wouldn't otherwise have. The correct clothing choices make all the difference in the world! I travel 4500-6,000 miles every week, and, honestly, I thank God for my options! I make the choice of how & what to wear, and when to use, or not use. I'm an adult; it's my prerogative! It's yours, too!

- - - Updated - - -

Pinguinito said:
iam32bit,

While you can/do get used to waking, for urges, it does affect REM sleep, which is the restorative sleep needed to wake up refreshed. Being able to wet in place certainly let's you get right back to sleep easier than moping, in the dark, to a toilet, then having to attempt to find that sleep comfort zone, especially if you end up waking your partner, too. Then you both have to adjust...

- - - Updated - - -

iam32bit said:
I Most nights when I have to wake up to pee, the morning is rough and I feel the need for coffee or something to wake me up.

...and that's what I was referring to, a lack of restorative sleep will cause you to wake up drowsy.

- - - Updated - - -

iam32bit said:
I guess the question is, should I try to become more comfortable using a diaper at night? I just want to be able to sleep soundly through the night and not have to get up to pee.

Once you find a trustworthy combo, that gets you through the whole night, you'll relax more, and find wetting a diaper at night a great choice...

I am in no way a doctor but I do have IC related to diabetes. I find the severity of the incontinence does vary and some of this variance is probably to do with the meds I am taking. Getting the disease under control is often a bit hit and miss but having incontinence is probably one of the less serious complications that can occur. As with most drugs there is a list of possible and reported side effects in the drug packaging-these do not include "incontinence" but as with so many of these kind of treatments do mention the possibility of increased urination-which might amount to the same thing if your control is only borderline good. There is an american support group for users of this drug-but it has only a few members and not much content. What it does have is a article about research that shows how good treatment of diabetes makes life better and increases life expectancy. So for those of us with diabetes & using nappies it is probably a case of £better wet than dead".

Jamieboy said:
While you can/do get used to waking, for urges, it does affect REM sleep, which is the restorative sleep needed to wake up refreshed. Being able to wet in place certainly let's you get right back to sleep easier than moping, in the dark, to a toilet, then having to attempt to find that sleep comfort zone, especially if you end up waking your partner, too. Then you both have to adjust...
...and that's what I was referring to, a lack of restorative sleep will cause you to wake up drowsy.

I agree, Jamieboy. I think the REM sleep thing may be related to the time of waking - with the earlier being the worse.

In my case I have to get up during the night every night - so I don't have a comparison with a full night's sleep.

I do feel tired all the time like iam32bit described - and get into a vicious cycle drinking coffee to wake up and then it causing me to sleep even worse.

My problem is I don't know how much my lack of sleep is caused by having to get up - and how much to other causes - and wearing at night is hard to sell to someone who isn't a DL - even if they are also being impacted by being woken up.

The point I was making in my previous post is that it is possible to cope with 2 wakings a night - though obviously not where you have to run to the bathroom or suffer a lot of pain or if there is a fair chance you'll leak anyway - that is different.

I completely agree it isn't great waking up and getting up to go to the toilet in the night - but then wearing at night is a big step too.

Last edited:
Pinguinito said:
I agree, Jamieboy. I think the REM sleep thing may be related to the time of waking - with the earlier being the worse.

In my case I have to get up during the night every night - so I don't have a comparison with a full night's sleep.

I do feel tired all the time like iam32bit described - and get into a vicious cycle drinking coffee to wake up and then it causing me to sleep even worse.

My problem is I don't know how much my lack of sleep is caused by having to get up - and how much to other causes - and wearing at night is hard to sell to someone who isn't a DL - even if they are also being impacted by being woken up.

The point I was making in my previous post is that it is possible to cope with 2 wakings a night - though obviously not where you have to run to the bathroom or suffer a lot of pain or if there is a fair chance you'll leak anyway - that is different.

I completely agree it isn't great waking up and getting up to go to the toilet in the night - but then wearing at night is a big step too.

I just told my roommate that I decided to start wearing Diapers to manage having to wake up multiple times a night to pee. She told me that it seems like a good idea. That totally reduced my anxiety of her finding out and giving me a hard time about it.

I still feel guilty when wearing a Diaper. I know it will help me stay asleep and will improve my energy the next morning. I just need to accept it.

iam32bit said:
I still feel guilty when wearing a Diaper. I know it will help me stay asleep and will improve my energy the next morning. I just need to accept it.

I think it is normal to feel this - but in time it will feel more natural.

I too struggle with the idea of it, despite being a DL.

I left a much more in depth response on the other (somewhat related, but different) thread on this matter, but to add to this one, I'd just like to say that I feel for you. About a year ago when I was experiencing much of the same you are, I felt alone in my (internalized) struggle, but ADISC made me feel better, made me come to acceptance easier. Hey, I guess that's why they call it a Support Community, right? hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back