Thread: R2 D2 (Kenny Baker) has died RIP

Default R2 D2 (Kenny Baker) has died RIP

Kenny Baker the actor inside R2 D2 and star of Time bandits and Flash Gordon has died RIP http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37072736

His work as R2-D2 is the big and lasting impact but I think I'll remember him best for Time Bandits, since we got to see him without a robotic body obscuring his work. He will be missed.

Ah this is sad. He did an amazing job in creating a beloved character in R2-D2, and from everything I've seen, he was a wonderful guy. We'll miss him. I hope they add a short tribute to him in the next Star Wars film.

Always sad to hear of someone's passing, but it's nice to acknowledge their awesome contribution to the world... especially when it's something as cool as R2-D2 one of my all time favour little characters. RIP-R2

I didn't realize there was someone actually inside that tin can. I suspect he'll be replaced by something entirely electronic and mechanical, like a lot of industrial jobs. May he rest in peace. He had a cool gig.

Yep, it's amazing how low tech even the high tech Lucas stuff was back in those days. Mostly it was puppets for the alien for a good long time. In Return of the Jedi, Jabba was a puppet (two men working the puppet and another smoking a cigar and blowing smoke into a tube to make Jabba exhale. Later, they "fixed" a bunch of scenes in A New Hope with cgi stuff. A deleted scene that was to have Jabba but they couldn't pull off was restored (there had been a large actor walking with Han playing the Jabba part). Many find the originals better than the "improved" versions.

Quote Originally Posted by parcelboy2 View Post
    Kenny Baker the actor inside R2 D2 and star of Time bandits and Flash Gordon has died RIP http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37072736
    I'm so bummed now .
    May the force be with him.

He was fabulous, gonna watch Time Bandits again now as a tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    He was fabulous, gonna watch Time Bandits again now as a tribute.
    This

- - - Updated - - -

and this.

Quote Originally Posted by foxkits View Post
    I'm so bummed now .
    May the force be with him.
    Never even occurred to me there might be a guy in there. How cool would it be to have that role?!?