Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silverfish

Default Silverfish

Yeah, for a long time now I've had these little creeps crawling around my room, and they're really starting to freak me the heck out. Anything that can be done to get rid of the infestation?

Oh, and just in case someone doesn't know what they are: Silverfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by KarateDiaper View Post
    Yeah, for a long time now I've had these little creeps crawling around my room, and they're really starting to freak me the heck out. Anything that can be done to get rid of the infestation?

Oh, and just in case someone doesn't know what they are: Silverfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    [8:39pm] h3g3l: Step 1 will be to NOT eat or drink anything in the room except water...
    [8:42pm] h3g3l: I guess the best immediate 2-pronged approach, KarateDiaper, would be to take only water into your room and to de-clutter your room.
    [8:43pm] h3g3l: Apparently (wiki page) they can live for A YEAR without eating.
    [8:44pm] h3g3l: These apparently aren't physically harmful (though I'd sure not want to share a room with them) but it seems that it'd be a good idea to discourage them from visiting as much as possible.

I stand by this.

• Remove their ideal environment (clutter)
    • Remove welcome snacks (don't eat/drink in your room)

The actual killing of any that remain would be carried out by whatever form you wish. I'd typically spray those that I saw and put a chemical barrier (spray) across all thresholds, along baseboards, and along windows. I'd also probably go one step more and steam-clean all bedding and mattresses in the room, and get bug-proof pillow/mattress cases.

I haven't reviewed the wikipedia page, perhaps I should, but: what are their natural predators?

Maybe go to your local pet store and get some large centipedes, or a small family of bats. The predators will run around and eat the lil' bastards, and if the numbers work out the food supply should disappear and the predators will then remove themselves from the environment as well, either through starvation or exploration elsewhere in search of food.

And the circle of nature continues.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    [8:44pm] h3g3l: These apparently aren't physically harmful (though I'd sure not want to share a room with them) but it seems that it'd be a good idea to discourage them from visiting as much as possible.
    Most of the time they aren't, though a friend of mine had his grandmother go to the hospital a couple times cause they crawled into her ear and stuck. Weird, huh?

And I appreciate the idea, but adding more animals to the house just to kill silverfish would bring more bad news, first my parents wouldnt approve and my sister would only freak out

And I appreciate the idea, but adding more animals to the house just to kill silverfish would bring more bad news, first my parents wouldnt approve and my sister would only freak out
    I saw their list of predators, and I've got to say:

I would prefer the silverfish.

eww.. thats kind of icky. You should like step on them

Do they tend to accumulate in specific areas? Maybe a sort of sticky trap would be handy.

I'll say a couple things, though...when they get close enough, its pretty entertaining to watch the cats go for 'em.

And now my parents wanna call exterminators, which i don't think would be too much of an issue...these litter bastards wouldn't happen to be attracted to places with wet diapers, would they? Kind of a dumb question, I know.

Hmmm...not sure why they would, but just in case it'd be good to get rid of them, just in case. Whether or not the bugs are attracted to that sort of thing, it's more likely that your room's going to get searched now that everyone's on a bug hunt.

I'll say a couple things, though...when they get close enough, its pretty entertaining to watch the cats go for 'em.

And now my parents wanna call exterminators, which i don't think would be too much of an issue...these litter bastards wouldn't happen to be attracted to places with wet diapers, would they? Kind of a dumb question, I know.
    Cellulose + water + warmth + darkness = PARTY TIME FOR BUGS (and bacteria).

(And, yes, "exterminator" is one of the jobs I've held.)