2017 honda civic type r

Status
Not open for further replies.

landingxray

Est. Contributor
are any of you into the honda civic type r 2017???? Does anyone have turbo cars in here?

Is this finally happening? I have wanted this car to come to America for years. I have a Civic SI and would love the extra horsepower. Too bad its a six speed four door hatch, I would prefer 5 speed two door. I doubt I'll buy it if it does come to America, I've still got plenty of miles on my SI.

check out the new hondata flash for the 1.5 turbo 2016 honda civics on the cvt transmission...It will smoke a civic si...

landingxray said:
check out the new hondata flash for the 1.5 turbo 2016 honda civics on the cvt transmission...It will smoke a civic si...
Everything'll smoke a (stock) Civic Si these days. Honda's let that car go pretty badly. Hell, a Fiesta ST'll nearly take it in a line, despite the Honda only being a couple hundred pounds heavier and having nearly a liter more displacement. I'd be surprised if a stock Si could keep up with a stock ST on a track as soon as the curves hit, given how great a handler the STs are.

As for the Civic Type R, seems neat, but it's hitting American shores three years too late. Ford's pretty well established themselves in that cheap performance market again, and Focus RS'll be out for at least a year by the time the Type R gets here. I think the Type R's going to be a hard sell for the money they'll charge versus what the Focus RS and others can offer.

Still, I'll give one a test drive, anyways. Honestly, with any luck Honda will have improved their clutches, interiors, and tendency for nose-dive understeer from the mid-2000s cars I've driven (shocking was a 2010 Ford Fiesta SES and a 2010 Honda Fit Sport on the same track-the Ford handled head-and-shoulders better than the Honda!). At any rate, though, I imagine they'll still be a pretty fun car.

For me its about exclusivity. I used to want a focus ST but I see them everywhere these days, where as I never seem another SI hatchback like mine. I know that's due in part to it being older but I still like my SI more than new ones like a friend of mine used to have. I also prefer a five speed as stated earlier but no one likes to make five speeds anymore it seems. I never plan to go on a track so its just about regular everyday driving experience for me. My short peppy SI is like a go kart when I want it and an easy daily drive with a light clutch the rest of the time.

Unfortunately no one makes a short hot hatch anymore (the GTI and the abarth being the last real hold outs in that front) so I don't know what I will want when I get to the end of my current SI's life span.

Acan said:
For me its about exclusivity. I used to want a focus ST but I see them everywhere these days, where as I never seem another SI hatchback like mine. I know that's due in part to it being older but I still like my SI more than new ones like a friend of mine used to have. I also prefer a five speed as stated earlier but no one likes to make five speeds anymore it seems. I never plan to go on a track so its just about regular everyday driving experience for me. My short peppy SI is like a go kart when I want it and an easy daily drive with a light clutch the rest of the time.

Unfortunately no one makes a short hot hatch anymore (the GTI and the abarth being the last real hold outs in that front) so I don't know what I will want when I get to the end of my current SI's life span.
Oh I dunno. The Fiesta ST (a 2014 example of which I run as a daily driver) is nearly exactly the same in physical footprint as a 2005 Civic Si, but for the 5.6 inches less overall length.

Fuck the st, go for the focus RS

GoldDragonAurkarm said:
Oh I dunno. The Fiesta ST (a 2014 example of which I run as a daily driver) is nearly exactly the same in physical footprint as a 2005 Civic Si, but for the 5.6 inches less overall length.
Haha I forgot about the fiesta ST. I was interested at one point but I have trouble getting over the image of the regular fiesta. I just can't imagine telling people I got a fiesta (ST) vs say a golf (GTI) or an Impreza (WRX/STI). Also the fiesta ST was still years out from domestic release when I was last car shopping so its wasn't an option to test drive for me at the time. Also it looks a lot like a compressed version of the focus ST, I wish it was a bit more visually distinct. If its still an option in ten years (that's what I'm hoping to get out my current car) then it will be on my list but with lots of competition. At least it does come with a two door version. Something many companies are lacking these days.

I'm also not a fan of doing maintenance on American cars but that's really just a nit pick as nearly all new cars these days are made with the intent of you taking them to the dealer for all maintenance. I miss the old days when cars were simpler lol. If I did buy an American car I would deal it.

Btw. A Golf R is faster than a civic type r unfortunately.

Snivy said:
Btw. A Golf R is faster than a civic type r unfortunately.
Speed isn't everything. I don't plan on going to a track often if ever. Handling, enjoy-ability, and looks are very important to me. God if it weren't for that last one I would have bought an Abarth. Talk about a blast to drive.
Also no one ever had a Golf R for me to test drive when I was shopping.:laugh:

My shit-box used 2010 Ford Focus blows the doors off stock Honda Civics at any of the traffic lights on NH Route 28 here in my town of Salem, NH. They "Eat my dust!".:biggrin:

I've been very happy with my Honda Pilot EX-L with it's twin overhead cams. When you stomp on it, it advances the timing, something I had set up in my '67 Pontiac LeManns that I used to race at the track. Nothing like a mechanical distributor back in the day!

caitianx said:
My shit-box used 2010 Ford Focus blows the doors off stock Honda Civics at any of the traffic lights on NH Route 28 here in my town of Salem, NH. They "Eat my dust!".:biggrin:
Its easy to do that when the other car isn't paying attention. I do it to mustangs all the time:cool:

Acan said:
Speed isn't everything. I don't plan on going to a track often if ever. Handling, enjoy-ability, and looks are very important to me. God if it weren't for that last one I would have bought an Abarth. Talk about a blast to drive.
Also no one ever had a Golf R for me to test drive when I was shopping.:laugh:

Well, it's also based on handling, speed, acceleration, and other specs. A Golf GTI beat the Honda Civic Type R track time on the Nürburgring track and a Golf R is a much better version of a Golf GTI so the Golf R has the advantage over all Hondas. Personally, I would rather own a Dodge (Owner of a Dodge Dart w/ Turbo engine [not the 1.6L Turbo, the 2.0 with a turbo on $4k spent]) but because of their setback with their SRT Dart, I'm moving to another brand till I make enough for possibly a scat pack challenger (faster than a Mustang GT) (maybe a Hellcat Challenger with the job im studying for= faster than a GT350R Mustang)

FYI: It is its own group that makes many luxury and sporty brands such as Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, and Bugatti. (They own those brands)

Volkswagen is a tough brand (although they're in a bind with their diesel scandal)

caitianx said:

*cough cough* ford sucks. Oh, and only because you always see ricer civics and accords everyday X3

Last edited:
I agree Ford sucks, every American car sucks, as a truck driver, that's all you see on the side of the road.

I recently bought my first new car of the lot. It's a 6 speed manual 2015 Hyundai Elantra. I love it, it's got a nice 1.8 engine in it. It handles really well and I'm still learning it after a year and continues to surprise me. They have a turbo kit for it on sale for $3k. If I could ever! Hyundai has come a long way from the ugly that it was. I'm really happy with it.

Snivy said:
Well, it's also based on handling, speed, acceleration, and other specs. A Golf GTI beat the Honda Civic Type R track time on the Nürburgring track and a Golf R is a much better version of a Golf GTI so the Golf R has the advantage over all Hondas. Personally, I would rather own a Dodge (Owner of a Dodge Dart w/ Turbo engine [not the 1.6L Turbo, the 2.0 with a turbo on $4k spent]) but because of their setback with their SRT Dart, I'm moving to another brand till I make enough for possibly a scat pack challenger (faster than a Mustang GT) (maybe a Hellcat Challenger with the job im studying for= faster than a GT350R Mustang)
I had a dart for a vacation rental once and I hated it. I'm sure the turbo is better but just most things about the interior seemed cheap and shoddy. This is possibly to do with it being a rental but it did not make me want to buy one ever. I've also never gotten the appeal for today's pseudo vintage muscle cars the challenger and the mustang being the prime examples. Also I hate how low the seat is in the modern Mustang I am a tall guy and the dash is still really tall. If it came down to it I would likely end up with the golf R so long as I could find one to test. that's assuming its still available when my SI kicks the bucket and that could take a long time. I do have a bit of bad taste in my mouth after a VW dealer lied to my face about the gas mileage on the golf turbo diesel I was looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back