Status
Not open for further replies.

shangora

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Hi Guys,

I only have one pair of plastic pants and they are starting to go a bit "hard" with age, is there anything that you can do with them to make them soft again ? Also Im in South Africa and can not find any locally but if anyone knows of anybody selling plastic pants in SA I would be great full for there contact details.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do when the plastic starts to harden, oils,creams and natural body fluids will cause this. To prolong the life of any plastic product wash it with plain warm water only. Towel dry, and then air dry out of the sun. I get my pants from the well known auction site from a chinese supplier. I tend to buy in bulk, so far i have been very happy with them and looked after they have quite a long life. There is nothing better than putting on a clean nappy with a brand new pair of plastic pants on top just in case of small leaks.

Once the plasticizers start to leech out the pants days are numbered they become stiffer and stiffer until they are cracked and brittle, creams and ointments as well as sweat and urine will do this also having them in the sunlight degrades them , cloth diapers love the sun but Plastic pants not do much.

I am in the US so unfortunately have no recommendations for easy replacement that would be applicable or appropriate for you in SA. Sorry

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

i too wear Hainan plastic panties (from china) and have to say, for the price you can't beat em. they are abit tight in the leg and waist, but +/- $6 a pair i can easily keep myself in plastic panties..

Tetra said:
Once the plasticizers start to leech out the pants days are numbered

I wonder if there isn't something they could coat them with to prevent that? A sealant of some kind? They're already supposed to be waterproof so it shouldn't complicate things.

I am using some Mylesta nylon waterproof pants at the moment they are 100% pee proof and don't go brittle. You can't machine wash them though as it knock the waterproofing out of them. They are silent under clothing.

Reactions: Constantlydamp
another option is get some 'Euroflex' panties.. (can be bought at llmedico and other places) .. they feel like a cross between plastic and latex. They are a bit more expensive, but are impervious to oils, creams, urine, and messes .. i had two pair of them i wore daily for well over two years 24/7 and in the end the elastic finally gave out, but the panty was as soft as new.

randy1959 said:
another option is get some 'Euroflex' panties.. (can be bought at llmedico and other places) .. they feel like a cross between plastic and latex. They are a bit more expensive, but are impervious to oils, creams, urine, and messes .. i had two pair of them i wore daily for well over two years 24/7 and in the end the elastic finally gave out, but the panty was as soft as new.
The caveat to Eoroflex is a diabetics urine will destroy them very rapidly, otherwise they are great pants.

I like the 4-mil pull-on vinyl pants from Gary.

The thing to keep in mind with these and other reusable diapering products is that they don't last forever. Doing things like hand-washing, not using detergents, line-drying (in the case of diapers), etc.--yeah, you'll extend the life a bit, but how much inconvenience is that extra bit worth? Having to replace these things periodically isn't really all that bad.

The Gary pants seem to last me about two years. I may only use them a few times a week, though, and they do periodically go into the wash--with my diapers, and detergent. After that, I just shake them vigorously to remove the largest water droplets and call 'em done.

I've mailed large items to countries far away for not a whole lot of money, I could easily fit 10+ pants in a box. You just write what is in there on the customs forms, pay the postage. If you shop around and ask the place if they are willing to ship to SA, they probably might.

When I have ordered international they have always written on the customs forms "Medical Clothing".

I wish someone made plastic pants that you could take on and off without taking your pants off but still had an air-tight seal.

Well if you get properly fitting pants snap on is not an issue I wear both pull on and snap on and have never had a leak in my snap on, they have a small overlap of the seam at the snap point that is well forward of the diaper sides, of course they function much better with cloth than dispes.mine are made by Gary and since I am always sitting I have special pants that unsnapped at the seams down to my knees so I can change a diaper pretty easily from a seated position when I use snap on. It is virtualy impossible to get an airtight seal though, why do you want them airtight ?

Tetra said:
Well if you get properly fitting pants snap on is not an issue I wear both pull on and snap on and have never had a leak in my snap on, they have a small overlap of the seam at the snap point that is well forward of the diaper sides, of course they function much better with cloth than dispes.mine are made by Gary and since I am always sitting I have special pants that unsnapped at the seams down to my knees so I can change a diaper pretty easily from a seated position when I use snap on. It is virtualy impossible to get an airtight seal though, why do you want them airtight ?

Well it's embarassing - but I'm thinking of the smell of pee. I'm probably over-paranoid but when I'm in a confined space like public transport its something I worry about - and while I might try to sit away from people - I can't stop them sitting right next to me.

Well as long as your not wearing a flooded diaper from 8 hours ago , or one that you used overnight ( overnight diapers wreak, the only person who enjoys me taking the covers off in the morning Is my dog) you should be fine,sometimes you will smell you because your hypersensitive and "looking" for an odor, but you smell much less than you think.

Before I was in a wheelchair and therefore guaranteed sitting alone I felt like I was a "bus weirdo" magnet (there's a limit of one per trip Right? Wrong they always came and sat by me, alternating between talking to the voices in there head, and annoying the he'll out of me) but never had anyone act like I smelled of urine, sometimes they surely do though, today's dispees have alot of odor control built in, I can't say the same for the ones 25 years ago though, but I think alot of that also has to do with SAP, if your plastic pants cling at waist and legs, but are not tight around the diaper they will trap any odor, much better than something that doesn't "blouse" a little,I have also found that less used diapers also tend to smell more, so say you did a small wetting 4 hours ago, that will smell more than something that's been used multiple times over the last four hours.

Thanks for the advice.

I tend to wet every 10 to 30 minutes when I'm in a nappy, so I don't flood too much - especially when walking which I usually am when I wear out - so I guess it isn't a problem.

The belted nappies I use are a bit more open I think - but the new ones (Attends Active) are better - and plastic coated.

I'm only in them for a few hours - say up to 3 or 4. The only problem being that the public transport is at the end after 2 or 3 hours of walking.

No one appears to have noticed. I'll just try to stop worrying :)

Tetra said:
if your plastic pants cling at waist and legs, but are not tight around the diaper they will trap any odor, much better than something that doesn't "blouse" a little

That makes sense too.

I tried a onesie / bodysock today to try to avoid chafing (which it did) and I guess that would help too for much the same reason.

It was a weird feeling having something holding the nappy next to me - a bit uncomfortable at first - but becoming better as the nappy filled up.

Reactions: Constantlydamp
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back