Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

Default Star Trek Discovery

I haven't seen anyone discussing this yet, so if I missed it the mods can combine/close this post.

For those that missed it, CBS reveled a teaser for the upcoming series titled Star Trek Discovery at comic-con.

The main comments coming out of it are that the CGI looks horrible and we are 6 months out from a debut with no real casting info or anything other then that short clip. They could be going for a more grungy look maybe? From what I have read, people are split on the design; either you hate it or you love it. I am in the camp that dislikes it. Its very obvious that this is not an original idea, but a rehash of a canned design that was proposed for the reboot of ST when TOS was canceled and made the jump to the big screen. People are even speculating a story where its a joint Klingon/Federation project given theres no real timeline yet.

Now I know they have stated that it wasn't the final design and things can change, but I dont see the ship changing that much with principal photography starting soon. I cant remember it out right, but im sure the Enterprise (Which I liked despite the usual view from fans) trailers (Akiraprise ftw lol) looked better then this.

Im not saying I wont give the show a chance. Quite the opposite; I am chomping at the bit to see ST on tv again, but that design just doesnt do it for me.

What do you guys think? Surely there are some trek fans on here.

I've been planning to watch it for many months and look forward to Trek coming back to the small screen.

I just hope they are going forward this time instead of recreating the past like the new movies.

I have sort of wandered away from Star Trek for the last decade or so though would try and give it a shot, any idea if this is original continuity or alt universe stuff like the recent movies?

Whatever they do I hope there is no stupid holodeck.

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    I have sort of wandered away from Star Trek for the last decade or so though would try and give it a shot, any idea if this is original continuity or alt universe stuff like the recent movies?

Whatever they do I hope there is no stupid holodeck.
    They are saying its supposed to be in the Canon universe but details are slim aside from that. The word is they haven't even started casting yet which is slightly worrying since it's supposed to be on TV in 6 months. People are guessing either a story to bridge ENT and TOS or something following DS9.

Why does the ship look eerily familiar to the ship in phase 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Gundamexia725 View Post
    Why does the ship look eerily familiar to the ship in phase 2?
    I've seen a lot of discussion saying just that since they debuted the teaser. I can't say I know much about it other then it was a canned design when they want to revive TOS on the big screen. Honestly to me that kills the idea of it being original if they are just gonna rehash a tried design. From what I read it was in a scene at Wolf 359?

I remember seeing those design sketches for Phase II and possibly Star Trek The Motion Picture. They were in an old science fiction magazine I used to read. I found one of the early sketches online.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/90/Phase_II_Enterprise.jpg

I'm going to say something that's probably going to piss off a lot of people here but oh well.

As a long time fan of trek: The JJtrek films are not trek at all just good science fiction, they're the farthest thing from trek that is possible. Why is that relevant to this discussion you might ask? Trust me it is just go with it for now.

The new CBS star trek is NOT set in the JJtrek universe, to this I am very VERY happy, but; Keeping with the recent trend of non-trek decisions made by those who own the title (Turning trek into a cheap action film See:JJTrek) CBS is going to be making it exclusively available in North America on their pay-to-watch "service" and only air the pilot on actual TV.

THIS IS THE SINGLE MOST UNTREK THING YOU CAN DO THIS SIDE OF THE JJVERSE.

Star Trek is a platform to make important statements about how to better improve humanity in a positive constructive way while also discuss topics of importance in society. By making it pay to watch you kind of make the entire show hypocritical by making it capitalist. That's just my opinion.

All of that said: I like that they FINALLY got it into their heads that people want a damn over arching story WITH CONTINUITY. "Oh no no one wants continuity in voyager, no one wants it in DS9, no one wants it in Enterprise." Spoiler Alert: When they finally started adding continuity to those shows they actually started to get better.

So to summarize my post:

Continuity is the best thing since best of both worlds.

Pay-To-Watch is the worst mistake since Kai Winn's arc at the end of DS9.

Quote Originally Posted by AddyShadows View Post
    I'm going to say something that's probably going to piss off a lot of people here but oh well.

As a long time fan of trek: The JJtrek films are not trek at all just good science fiction, they're the farthest thing from trek that is possible. Why is that relevant to this discussion you might ask? Trust me it is just go with it for now.

The new CBS star trek is NOT set in the JJtrek universe, to this I am very VERY happy, but; Keeping with the recent trend of non-trek decisions made by those who own the title (Turning trek into a cheap action film See:JJTrek) CBS is going to be making it exclusively available in North America on their pay-to-watch "service" and only air the pilot on actual TV.

THIS IS THE SINGLE MOST UNTREK THING YOU CAN DO THIS SIDE OF THE JJVERSE.

Star Trek is a platform to make important statements about how to better improve humanity in a positive constructive way while also discuss topics of importance in society. By making it pay to watch you kind of make the entire show hypocritical by making it capitalist. That's just my opinion.

All of that said: I like that they FINALLY got it into their heads that people want a damn over arching story WITH CONTINUITY. "Oh no no one wants continuity in voyager, no one wants it in DS9, no one wants it in Enterprise." Spoiler Alert: When they finally started adding continuity to those shows they actually started to get better.

So to summarize my post:

Continuity is the best thing since best of both worlds.

Pay-To-Watch is the worst mistake since Kai Winn's arc at the end of DS9.
    They actually announced last week that Bell Media is going to carry the episodes on TV stations worldwide; Space being the carrier station in Canada for example. I can see CBS keeping a tight hand on it though as they own the rights atm. I've seen that cause more issues then not as Star Trek Online has had issues with adding content because CBS didn't like it.

And I can see how the new stuff isn't 'proper' trek. You have a fan following like this it's bound to have its dislikes. The main reason I see defending the changes is that it brings in a more mainstream viewer then traditional ST would due to it being more action packed and honestly that being said I have fears that this new series won't get the ratings they want and will be dragged out like ENT was and die a slow death before it's cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by LstNwf View Post
    They actually announced last week that Bell Media is going to carry the episodes on TV stations worldwide; Space being the carrier station in Canada for example. I can see CBS keeping a tight hand on it though as they own the rights atm. I've seen that cause more issues then not as Star Trek Online has had issues with adding content because CBS didn't like it.

And I can see how the new stuff isn't 'proper' trek. You have a fan following like this it's bound to have its dislikes. The main reason I see defending the changes is that it brings in a more mainstream viewer then traditional ST would due to it being more action packed and honestly that being said I have fears that this new series won't get the ratings they want and will be dragged out like ENT was and die a slow death before it's cancelled.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I like a bit of action and some changes here and there, but you can't just do what the new movies did and remove the point entierly, fortunately its set in the cannon universe and not JJverse. Sometime between TMP and Tos according to what I've read.

Enterprise kinda sucked for the first two seasons, then when they actually had a good story arc put on them the show got good in seasons 3 and 4. They were even setting up for the Romulan War, the reason no one watched it anymore was because seasons 1 and 2 sucked so bad that by the time the show got good there was no fan base anymore. I actually liked enterprise's last two seasons, even if some of the episodes were kinda crappy.