Anyone been in or currently in the military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrawberryRaven

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
I want to go into the military ASAP (preferably the air force, but army would be good too), I was wondering what its like when you first start basic? How long did it take for you to get used to the lifestyle? Do you have any regrets?

Oh and how long did it take for you to go from civilian to apart of the military? A few months, a few weeks?

Any and all answers would be great, thanks! <3

I served in the Navy from 1974 till 1980. I came from a Navy family so there was not a big change for me. For me Basic was relaxing, but I came from working and going to school at the same time. No regrets, got the training in computers I wanted, plus the old GI paid for my degree in engineering when I got out.

Just get used to be yelled at everything is wrong always. Just mind your superiors you'll do fine. Watch what you eat and make sure you choose an mos (job) that you can use once you are out of the service. I have no regrets with my time in service. just wish i was still in. Best of luck!

I've only really ever had some family and friends that were in the military. Honestly I want to sign up for the express purpose of failing the mental exam so I can be taken permenently off the draft list. I am not fit for duty and I probably never will be. I understand the chance of getting drafted is really low, but the way things are looking, it won't stay low for much longer. I'd give it 20 years or less before a war breaks out of some kind. I don't want to discourage you by any means. I know people who have done basic and quit, done basic and pushed themselves farther, so let me tell you about those who didn't give up.

Friend 1: He joined the Marines and he hated basic training, but he said he was glad he did it. Some of his buddies joined the air force and I guess their training is harder? I'm not sure. What I do know is, yelling is a huge portion of training along with depreciation, insults, and pushing you as far as you can go. It's probably to weed the fakers out and pick those who when well trained, will be effective in combat.

Friend 2: He joined the Navy and is in a submarine currently. I would imagine that would be really cool and yet scary all the same.

Family: My grandfather was a sea bee, flew on a carrier. He had an accident during training where another cadet dived into the same pool at the same time and pushed him down in the pool. He hated water ever since that day, but he didn't give up and served his country well. I had an Uncle who joined the Army, he was a great man who I never met because he died at 21 for unrelated causes. He served as well as he could have when he was alive about... 40 some years ago.

My advice? Just keep being persistant and don't give up despite the pressure. It will all be worth it.

I've been out of the navy for four years. It wasn't for me. There were some good times and things I miss but it left me struggling with some mental health stuff afterwards.

As for what branch to go into I tell people to go air force. The air force treats their people better than any of the other branches.

How long it takes to get in depends on what Job you chose. Definitely chose a job you will enjoy. I was an aviation structural mechanic... Not my thing and hated it. It may take longer to get in but it's definitely worth the wait to get a job you'll like. How long it takes to get in also depends on your asvab scores (some have a hard time passing it) and if you need to make weight. Don't let someone talk you out of getting a job you want either. Also be respectful but firm with the recruiters. There job is to get you in and they'll say whatever they can to get you into their branch. Make them work for you and don't let them push you around. They want you in as fast as possible but I would say take your time and do research.

Start running now if you are thinking about joining. You'll do a lot of it once you get to bootcamp and you don't want to start getting into shape once you're there.

Good Luck!

Navy, 2008-2008, less than 6 months. I got through basic and into my main school. I was going to be doing Submarine Sonar. Got discharged due to "Home sickness" even though I pleaded with them that I wasn't. I wanted to take a week off to visit family, before I went into the main training.

I joined the Marines two weeks before 9/11. My first two days at parris island were the most terrifying experience in my life. Military lifestyle is super hard when you're low in rank but it gets better. You won't regret it. Serving is very honorable. Civilians can't even begin to understand what it means to serve. It will be the hardest thing you ever do but it will make you a better person.

Yeah Air Force treats you well , but even the Air Force guys know the best chow is in the Navy, even the fish like the food that's disposed of at sea, although I did not find the chow at Camp Legunne to be bad as long as you carried a bottle of Tabasco sauce, going on float provided the best chow. I have eaten at the dining hall at West point , the Air Force Academy, and Legunne, now if you want to talk religious facilities the Air Force Academy chapel is incredible bar none, West point comes a close second, the only problem with with AAA is the Cadets have zero respect for anything that does not yell, scream or totally outrank them.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Crinklebuttt said:
I joined the Marines two weeks before 9/11. My first two days at parris island were the most terrifying experience in my life. Military lifestyle is super hard when you're low in rank but it gets better. You won't regret it. Serving is very honorable. Civilians can't even begin to understand what it means to serve. It will be the hardest thing you ever do but it will make you a better person.

Semper Fi.

USMC 88-92 here.

I was about to join the Navy, but a week before actually going, I decided against it and chose another route for my life instead. I did do some training though, but probably not anything like actually going to basic.

Who knows what my life would have been like up until now, I would have spent many days under the ocean in a submarine since my job was going to be submarine electronic computer field.

Before the Navy I was actually going to join the Air Force but I was not able to meet the requirements. Needed a few college credits. For a little while I had both recruiters fighting over me due to my scores on the asvab. Guess they must not get that many high scorers.

My dad did Navy ROTC in college and retired as a Commander a few years after graduating. As I approached the end of high school, there were murmurings from him that I ought to join, most likely because he saw it as a good way to finance my education. I think, perhaps because there was a slight push, I pushed back and didn't do it. :) (As it turned out, I mostly paid for my education through other jobs, so my parents still got off the hook. Mostly.)

Because of his being in the Navy, I've always been eligible for USAA insurance, and have always felt that the police have given me a bit of a break on speeding tickets when I've shown them my insurance card--which makes me feel a little guilty.

brabbit1987 said:
I was about to join the Navy, but a week before actually going, I decided against it and chose another route for my life instead. I did do some training though, but probably not anything like actually going to basic.

Who knows what my life would have been like up until now, I would have spent many days under the ocean in a submarine since my job was going to be submarine electronic computer field.

:hug: Submarines would have been awesome. I wish I was able to still be there for them.

I had a low ASVAB score, I think mine was 45, but my math, electronics/mechanical and something else was maxed out apparently or something. The weird part is that math was always my bad subject in any school.

The guy at the job command center thingy, where you take the test and physical and all that, gave me 2 jobs. Heavy equipment operator, submarines and something else.

FluffyMastiff said:
:hug: Submarines would have been awesome. I wish I was able to still be there for them.

I had a low ASVAB score, I think mine was 45, but my math, electronics/mechanical and something else was maxed out apparently or something. The weird part is that math was always my bad subject in any school.

The guy at the job command center thingy, where you take the test and physical and all that, gave me 2 jobs. Heavy equipment operator, submarines and something else.

Ya, considering where my life is now, I do think I should have gone to the Navy lol, at least it would have given me a stable job. Buuuuut I am too much of a chicken to be honest. Not sure how long I would have lasted. XD

Well not much we can do about it now, I suppose... Too bad there isn't a video game that has more modern submarines in it... Kind of like 688 attack sub... I've tried Silent Hunter, but that's quite an in-depth game and I could never understand the torpedo functions XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back