Do I have the wrong expectations when it comes to wearing and not leaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hex000f

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
For the longest time I've felt that if things are set up right leaks should NEVER happen. I'm not sure where I got that idea to be honest, but it became a part of my idea diaper experience to the point were even the slightest leak, even onto an absorbent pad in private, was very disconcerting and knocked me out of whatever pleasantness I was getting from wearing at the time.

I also felt like I had to re-set my comfort level each time I leaked, which is very disconcerting.

Thus I'm wondering do leaks still happen to the best of us very occasionally and thus I don't need to be so hard on myself if its once in a large number of times?

Also, does it take more then 1 and 1/2 years of practice to get the fit right?

I experience 2 kinds of leaks, either the diaper is already too saturated and any more pee will cause a leak, or, it has folded inward in the crotch. so it pays to check the fit in the crotch area occasionally to make sure it isn't folding inwards. And it pays to change often even though it may feel like a waste of a diaper. I have never had a leak on the first wetting.

Leaks do still happen.

I'm 24/7 and IC, have been for a while, and I have a fit-related leak probably once out of every 100 diapers (not necessarily on the first wetting, but I get subpar performance because I fit the damn thing wrong).

Relax. It's OK.

If you expect leaks not to happen I hate to break the news, they do,

Leaks are inevitable. However, with care, experience, and the right product for the job, they should be infrequent and small. It takes time to get a good feel for a given diaper under general conditions. You can minimize the risk by playing conservatively, but if you're too conservative, you'll never know what the product is really capable of.

I very rarely have leaks when I'm cautious about it but I accept that they're going to occur, particularly when I'm wearing often.

I think testing for leaks in a safe environment is the way to go. I'm a big fan of SCIENCE, so anytime I get a new brand of diapers, I tend to wear them to saturation and see what it feels like. I also tend to wear an already wet diaper to bed if I'm not sure whether it will last the night or not, and sure that's led to some damp sheets but it's also helped give me a sense for when a diaper is going to last the night.

If you're in a rush or you don't have time for cleanup, you can virtually eliminate leaks by making sure your diaper is taped snugly, making sure you're pointed down and towards the center of the diaper when peeing, that you're standing or sitting up straight when peeing, and then changing after the first time you wet. But that will definitely lead to some wasted diapers, and occasionally even the weird situation where you're diapered yet you can't pee for fear of a leak and are desperately trying to hold it, which is just the worst. Better to get to know the padding you're wearing so that you can trust it when you need it.

I think leaks are part of wearing diapers. Obviously better when they don't leak but don't let spills ruin your day!

I even managed to have an ABU Simple leak at the leg cuffs which was kinda embarrassing but still consider them fabulous.

I like to use my diapers to capacity so they sometimes leak but it is not a problem because I wear a pair of terry pants over my diaper and plastic pants on top.

The terry pants gets damp but the plastic pant keeps all the wetness from spreading to my outer clothes.

diaperedwetter said:
I like to use my diapers to capacity so they sometimes leak but it is not a problem because I wear a pair of terry pants over my diaper and plastic pants on top.

The terry pants gets damp but the plastic pant keeps all the wetness from spreading to my outer clothes.

I have just ordered some terry pants for just that reason.

- - - Updated - - -

hex000f said:
For the longest time I've felt that if things are set up right leaks should NEVER happen. I'm not sure where I got that idea to be honest, but it became a part of my idea diaper experience to the point were even the slightest leak, even onto an absorbent pad in private, was very disconcerting and knocked me out of whatever pleasantness I was getting from wearing at the time.

I also felt like I had to re-set my comfort level each time I leaked, which is very disconcerting.

Thus I'm wondering do leaks still happen to the best of us very occasionally and thus I don't need to be so hard on myself if its once in a large number of times?

I have been wearing nappies now for over four years and have may fair share of leaks. I just accept it as part of being incontinent. Some nappies are better than others but leaks will happen.

hex000f said:

Use a Bambinodiapers.com diaper YOU WILL NEVER LEAK.:grouphug: abuniverse.com tends to leak no matter how I fasten. Bambinos never leak no matter how I fasten.

Bambinodiapers.com diapers DO NOT LEAK.

extremecomfy said:

They're good diapers but I've seen them and other good diapers leak before and they will again. Position, fit, current and ultimate capacity all play a part. The risk can be minimized but never eliminated.

extremecomfy said:

Trevor said:
They're good diapers but I've seen them and other good diapers leak before and they will again. Position, fit, current and ultimate capacity all play a part. The risk can be minimized but never eliminated.

I have to agree with Trevor, no diaper is a guarantee of no leaks. There are just too many variables.

extremecomfy said:

all diapers can leak ("challenge accepted!")

Any diaper can and will leak given time, weather it is the diapers fault or a floor to diaper interface fault it happens. Knowing how to properly apply your diaper and check it once applied does reasonably limit application error but in my 25 years of IC I have never found a sure fire your not going to leak recipe, diapers are also not something that have tight tolerances within manufacturing and you can leak because one diaper out of a case was a little bit different from the others, and sometimes you get bad cases that every diaper leaks ( call the company most will ship you a new case post haste when you provide them with the manufacturing number and batch number of the bad ones, sometimes they will send you a postage paid mailer to send them a sample of the bad diapers so they can see what went wrong and where).

Don't stress about leaks when they happen and don't let them ruin your day. Ever met someone who's aim was perfect and never missed the toilet or urinal even a little bit, I have not so expecting that kind of perfection out of a diaper is unreasonable.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I feel that all diapers are not immune to leaking. If you use them past their maximum capacity they will leak.

Everyone's different anatomically, so I can only judge by my own experiences, but leaks are generally down to wetting beyond capacity (obvious solution, change sooner or don't wet heavily when close to capacity!) or some combination of fit and positioning (less easy to solve).

I very rarely have the second type of leak these days as I'm well practised in how to put a nappy on and wet it. The most important thing with fit, for me, is to put the leg cuffs snugly up in the crotch and fasten the lower tapes securely - in other words, get a fit like brief-style regular underwear, with as little sag as possible. Then the middle of the nappy forms a cupped sort of shape and any wetting should be channeled into the middle and not out of the sides.

Then, the most secure methods of wetting - number one, standing up. With a secure fit as above, I find I'm able to flood forcefully with no leaks almost every time. Second, and most practical in bed, lie flat on your back, with your "equipment" pointing down into the middle of the nappy (if you have male anatomy!) Keep yourself as level as possible, and let it flow... 99% confidence of no leaks. Thirdly, sitting down, which is more of a challenge, as your weight's on the padding which can prevent absorption and make it pool in your lap as you wet, and leak up and around the sides. To help prevent this, lift your weight off the seat slightly so you're not restricting the flow. Then it should be almost as secure as a standing up wetting.

So, that's my leak avoidance guide, hope it's helpful!

I have gotten to a point where I have a pretty good idea of when my diaper will leak if I am wearing and wetting normally (i.e. reaching capacity), but it seems like no matter what diaper I wear, how I put it on or how I wet, I will inevitably leak if I go while lying on my back. Maybe I'm missing something, but I feel like other people get away without having to wear plastic pants etc. over a decent disposable while in bed. Then again, maybe my idea of what a decent diaper is is skewed. I haven't tried any of the proper ABDL ones. Basically I can totally thrash a Euron Form Super Plus during normal wear (up and about), but as soon as I try to wet in bed I'll leak out the top and sides.

jsch said:
I have gotten to a point where I have a pretty good idea of when my diaper will leak if I am wearing and wetting normally (i.e. reaching capacity), but it seems like no matter what diaper I wear, how I put it on or how I wet, I will inevitably leak if I go while lying on my back. Maybe I'm missing something, but I feel like other people get away without having to wear plastic pants etc. over a decent disposable while in bed. Then again, maybe my idea of what a decent diaper is is skewed. I haven't tried any of the proper ABDL ones. Basically I can totally thrash a Euron Form Super Plus during normal wear (up and about), but as soon as I try to wet in bed I'll leak out the top and sides.
If you leak up and over put a booster/liner/doubler that has a sticky back just above where the standing leakgards guards ends in the front, I have never met anyone who could overflow that, unless they were trying to.

Tetra said:
If you leak up and over put a booster/liner/doubler that has a sticky back just above where the standing leakgards guards ends in the front, I have never met anyone who could overflow that, unless they were trying to.

People tend to rise to the occasion of making any setup leak. Even something like that where you've got a great diaper and a booster for extra, if you wear it all day without changing and drink a lot, you'll eventually leak. Or if you point up and pee lying down, or on your side, it might leak too.

Leaks, like most risks, are minimized but never eliminated.

Is pointing up not the same as rising to the occasion? If so someone better tell my flag staff ! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back