Banned
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
  6. Incontinent
I don't know if I am the only one, but I noticed something recently. Back in the day internet acronyms used to be a fairly small list. lol, lmao, lmfao, brb, gtg, irl ... etc.

They where created mainly for things often said to save a bit of time. But now, people are always using new ones that are not actually used often enough to expect people to know what it means. So fairly often, I end up having to look up on google what on earth the random few letters someone decided to use means. The issue is they use them with their friends and for some reason they expect the whole world to know what it means.

Sometimes I don't even bother to look it up, because I assume it's not really important enough to do so. But it really does get on my nerves. Why can't people just talk normal? X3

As the title says, I am getting old. Clearly. :sweatdrop:

Anyone else think it's gone too far?

I am 18 and I don't get half of the acronyms even for non Internet uses, I wish people spent a little more time writing their post and texts so I could understand, half the grammar is also missing, don't worry you are not getting old! I left school 2 years ago and I don't understand them well either!

I guess eras changing from time to time lead to a mindset of people become almost instantaneous.
making people feel to write really fast and I noticed there are several reasons people use acronyms like that:

- Looks cool.
- save the cost of internet.
- Accelerate time typing.

today we obviously want to finish something briefly, so need to abbreviate words,
but I think it would damage the language, because it will be difficult to be understood by others in the world.

IDK :laugh: I mean some things are easy to figure out for me like FTW= For the win, for instance, others are not. To be honest, sometimes I just use common sense to figure out them, other times I look from the internet.

brabbit1987 said:
Why can't people just talk normal?

Gasp! That's not normal! You mean, "Why can't people talk normally?"

:neener_neener:

Just kidding! What annoys me is when people make up their own acronyms at random. I just read a post about someone paying via BT. BT is the major phone company in the UK, so I didn't really understand until I figured out that it must mean "bank transfer". Give us a clue!

brabbit1987 said:
Sometimes I don't even bother to look it up, because I assume it's not really important enough to do so. But it really does get on my nerves. Why can't people just talk normal?

Right there with you, it wouldn't take years off someone's life just to write "as far as I know" instead of "afaik". Some people just prefer to "shorthand" it, if you could call it that. Even though actual shorthand is more of an artform I think. You can't swing a dead cat on the internet without hitting a ridiculous abbreviation, just a matter of fact.

I am glad I am not the only one. I thought this was one of those situations where you get old and you just no longer get things the young generation are doing.

tiny said:
Gasp! That's not normal! You mean, "Why can't people talk normally?"

Ya, it's actually funny, because I did type it as "normally" at first, but I only included one "L" while typing instead of two, so when I auto corrected it, I accidentally clicked normal instead and was too lazy to change it back. I figured it still makes sense so I left it. XD

It sounds like it's time for a famous author to write another "Brave New Worlds" kind of novel. Of course, when we're all replaced by robots, I suppose they'll know what they're saying. It will probably be in machine language, though. I did hear this really funny joke.

So a rabbit walks into a 1000011110001110010000101010101010001010101010
and the bartender1000100101010101000100101010101010,
and then the rabbit says, 10001010101010001010000000000000011010111111111111110101010!

dogboy said:
It sounds like it's time for a famous author to write another "Brave New Worlds" kind of novel. Of course, when we're all replaced by robots, I suppose they'll know what they're saying. It will probably be in machine language, though. I did hear this really funny joke.

So a rabbit walks into a 1000011110001110010000101010101010001010101010
and the bartender1000100101010101000100101010101010,
and then the rabbit says, 10001010101010001010000000000000011010111111111111110101010!

Not sure I understand the joke o.o

I think it's partly because multiple different cultures are using the internet.

It used to be that the web was largely the preserve of white, middle-class, liberal, usually male STEM majors in the 18-35 age bracket.

Now ... well, "tfw" is an heirloom of 4chan, "ftw" is mainstream internet/vanilla nerd, and "smh" is 'civilian'. That's at least three subcultures that have very little to do with each other. Each has their own armoury of acronyms. It's sensible if you look at it that way.

Kaliborio said:
I think it's partly because multiple different cultures are using the internet.

It used to be that the web was largely the preserve of white, middle-class, liberal, usually male STEM majors in the 18-35 age bracket.

Now ... well, "tfw" is an heirloom of 4chan, "ftw" is mainstream internet/vanilla nerd, and "smh" is 'civilian'. That's at least three subcultures that have very little to do with each other. Each has their own armoury of acronyms. It's sensible if you look at it that way.

I don't think the web was ever largely preserved for white, middle-class, males in stem majors in the 18-35 age bracket lol. I have been using the net for a very long time, and can't think of any point where it was like that. In fact, back during AOL days ... it was full of teen girls going on all the chats, and a bunch of teen guys trying to hook up with said teen girls lol. Chats on AOL where like the comment sections of youtube, but possibly even worse.

I do agree that a lot of these different acronyms may have come from people who fit into different groups though.

brabbit1987 said:

they were talking in bunny-ry code :laugh:

i agree with the whole 'cool' thing. it's like people have been infected with the Zuko virus,

oops, wrong pic (well, y'know what it's like when you're scrolling through thumbnails :p). here's the right one:

View attachment 26609

or gotten a dose of Fonzarelli poisoning,

oops, i did it again :biggrin:

View attachment 26610

HEYYYY!!!! :cool:

ade said:
they were talking in bunny-ry code :laugh:

i agree with the whole 'cool' thing. it's like people have been infected with the Zuko virus,

oops, wrong pic (well, y'know what it's like when you're scrolling through thumbnails :p). here's the right one:

View attachment 26609

or gotten a dose of Fonzarelli poisoning,

oops, i did it again :biggrin:

View attachment 26610

HEYYYY!!!! :cool:

Bunny-ry code? That only confuses me more.

After seeing that "dose of Fonzarelli poisoning" I think my brain imploded. lol

brabbit1987 said:

I thought all rabbits spoke binary?

KittyninjaW said:
IDK :laugh: I mean some things are easy to figure out for me like FTW= For the win, for instance, others are not. To be honest, sometimes I just use common sense to figure out them, other times I look from the internet.

Ftw doesn't mean just that it's meanst f the world as well so it's not just that easy as most acronyms are the same way with multiple meanings look some up most have a nfsw meaning and a sfw one like BBC or other or opp

dogboy said:
I thought all rabbits spoke binary?

Still not really sure I understand. Is the binary suppose to be in ASCII? Is it just suppose to be a number? As far as I am aware the binary doesn't make any sense no matter how I look at it o.o.

I really must be missing the joke. XD

brabbit1987 said:
Still not really sure I understand. Is the binary suppose to be in ASCII? Is it just suppose to be a number? As far as I am aware the binary doesn't make any sense no matter how I look at it o.o.

I really must be missing the joke. XD

It was just a joke about robots communicating in the most basic language they speak.

dogboy said:
It was just a joke about robots communicating in the most basic language they speak.

Ya, but jokes are suppose to be funny ... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back