Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tfw, ftw, smh? I am getting old. -.-

MarchinBunny

Default tfw, ftw, smh? I am getting old. -.-

I don't know if I am the only one, but I noticed something recently. Back in the day internet acronyms used to be a fairly small list. lol, lmao, lmfao, brb, gtg, irl ... etc.

They where created mainly for things often said to save a bit of time. But now, people are always using new ones that are not actually used often enough to expect people to know what it means. So fairly often, I end up having to look up on google what on earth the random few letters someone decided to use means. The issue is they use them with their friends and for some reason they expect the whole world to know what it means.

Sometimes I don't even bother to look it up, because I assume it's not really important enough to do so. But it really does get on my nerves. Why can't people just talk normal? X3

As the title says, I am getting old. Clearly.

Anyone else think it's gone too far?

I am 18 and I don't get half of the acronyms even for non Internet uses, I wish people spent a little more time writing their post and texts so I could understand, half the grammar is also missing, don't worry you are not getting old! I left school 2 years ago and I don't understand them well either!

TLA's can be useful IMO, especially if your typing is speed limited by physical issues, a touchscreen, or even plain old lack of keyboard skills.

You're right though, in some cases they seem to be an affectation by those trying to be cool. You see a lot of the same sort of thing with pseudo-techical jargon. Ever notice all the pharma commercials adopting acronyms for various diseases and conditions? IBS, IBD, COPD, ED? I don't know if they're trying to be hip, avoiding graphic descriptions of really gross things, or even the stigma attached to something self-inflicted like emphysema from smoking (=COPD).

I would be more offended except when I remember my early ventures in amateur radio when license and equipment limited me to Morse Code.... Acronyms were the only way to get through a conversation without CTS. We had acronyms for almost everything

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code_abbreviations

I guess eras changing from time to time lead to a mindset of people become almost instantaneous.
    making people feel to write really fast and I noticed there are several reasons people use acronyms like that:

- Looks cool.
    - save the cost of internet.
    - Accelerate time typing.

today we obviously want to finish something briefly, so need to abbreviate words,
    but I think it would damage the language, because it will be difficult to be understood by others in the world.

IDK I mean some things are easy to figure out for me like FTW= For the win, for instance, others are not. To be honest, sometimes I just use common sense to figure out them, other times I look from the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit1987 View Post
    Why can't people just talk normal?
    Gasp! That's not normal! You mean, "Why can't people talk normally?"

Just kidding! What annoys me is when people make up their own acronyms at random. I just read a post about someone paying via BT. BT is the major phone company in the UK, so I didn't really understand until I figured out that it must mean "bank transfer". Give us a clue!

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit1987 View Post
    Sometimes I don't even bother to look it up, because I assume it's not really important enough to do so. But it really does get on my nerves. Why can't people just talk normal?
    Right there with you, it wouldn't take years off someone's life just to write "as far as I know" instead of "afaik". Some people just prefer to "shorthand" it, if you could call it that. Even though actual shorthand is more of an artform I think. You can't swing a dead cat on the internet without hitting a ridiculous abbreviation, just a matter of fact.

MarchinBunny

I am glad I am not the only one. I thought this was one of those situations where you get old and you just no longer get things the young generation are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Gasp! That's not normal! You mean, "Why can't people talk normally?"
    Ya, it's actually funny, because I did type it as "normally" at first, but I only included one "L" while typing instead of two, so when I auto corrected it, I accidentally clicked normal instead and was too lazy to change it back. I figured it still makes sense so I left it. XD

It sounds like it's time for a famous author to write another "Brave New Worlds" kind of novel. Of course, when we're all replaced by robots, I suppose they'll know what they're saying. It will probably be in machine language, though. I did hear this really funny joke.

So a rabbit walks into a 1000011110001110010000101010101010001010101010
    and the bartender1000100101010101000100101010101010,
    and then the rabbit says, 10001010101010001010000000000000011010111111111111 110101010!

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    It sounds like it's time for a famous author to write another "Brave New Worlds" kind of novel. Of course, when we're all replaced by robots, I suppose they'll know what they're saying. It will probably be in machine language, though. I did hear this really funny joke.

So a rabbit walks into a 1000011110001110010000101010101010001010101010
    and the bartender1000100101010101000100101010101010,
    and then the rabbit says, 10001010101010001010000000000000011010111111111111 110101010!
    Not sure I understand the joke o.o