How to wear plastic pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jddlhi

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I recently bought cloth diapers because I no longer have a room mate, which means that its something I can pull off - doing the necessary laundry and such.

Cloth is great, they hold a lot, they're inexpensive in the long run, and they feel bulky as soon as you put them on, which I like, but I ran in to a problem with my plastic pants. I think I have already figured out the solution but I wanted to ask the community. I have been wearing my plastic pants with the end of the seam on the inside, as this seemed like that hard edge may be able to help retain leaks. Unfortunately my plastic pants have been feeling very uncomfortable around the waist and leg bands. I thought about buying a larger size but the pants feel large enough, then I realized that wearing the plastic pants with the end of the seam on the outside might make this discomfort go away. I'm trying it out now, just wanted some feedback from others.

Hopefully this was just a dumb move on my part and my problem is solved. Also, I've already tried plastic pants with thick waist and leg bands but I still get the same problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by the end of the seam, but mine fit me well without too many issues. A little tight around the legs, but I have fat legs. Sometimes its discomforting, but generally if I don't move where they are, its fine.
Most plastic pants are welded together, there is a seam, but its just that a seam that usually doesn't cause an issue unless you are too big for your plastic pants and possibly rip. Keeping in leaks are the leg and waistbands. If you have snap on ones, I don't know how those stop leaks.

In my experience seam in or out makes no difference in comfort. If your plastic pants are uncomfortable at the openings, perhaps leaving red marks, you need a larger size.

Here is a question to add on to this thread, buying a larger size plastic pants makes me feel like I am swimming in them. They are so large already but tight around my legs. Is there a specific brand of plastic pants that you would recommend trying that has bigger leg openings for us thicker babies?

Most plastic pants get the leg dimensions too small when compared to waist. I really don't know why that is.
The best i have found so far are Suprima 1287. Got them at save express in Germany. The Gary's active wear are nice, but suffer from the first problem, you have to by several sizes up to get comfortable legs, and then they are very baggy. Check out the Suprima's.

You can order custom pants from Angelfluff, they are made to your specifications by Gary, bigger or smaller legs high/low rise waist, color of pant color of thread (contrasting or cordinated) wrapped elastics if desired snap on or pull on size of Crotch you name it they will do it, they even will make pink rhumba if you want them.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

you have to measure your dimensions quite precisely and then try different companies and the plastic underpants they make. For years I wore vinyl underpants which worked well but were very hot especially in the summer. On this site I learned about PUL material and bought a pair by Gary that practically look like running shorts but with waist and leg elastic. Not only am I cooler while wearing them but the leg openings fit much better and vey comfortable. I can now wear them while flying for 4+ hours and letting go if I have to and the plane has not landed yet. On my overseas flights they work great with a high SAP disposable. They have a lot of different colors also and I have not needed to experiment with any other manufacture of plastic pants (though it would be fun).

Don't tape and try a real cloth diaper in the summer, they breathe better and are much cooler even under vinyl pants , yes they are like wearing a thick premium and some would rather something more discrete, but when you are 25 years into IC you just don't care if someone notices.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

aperryman said:
Here is a question to add on to this thread, buying a larger size plastic pants makes me feel like I am swimming in them. They are so large already but tight around my legs. Is there a specific brand of plastic pants that you would recommend trying that has bigger leg openings for us thicker babies?

Maybe you can try a pair of the latex ones, that fit tight and have no waist or leg bands. Or you could look for a pair of snap-on ones that have adjustable snaps in the leg and waist. Both work well over cloth diapers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back