The sight of a family regressed me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I saw a young family walking through the city the other day, and for no reason I can identify, it made me start to feel little. They were in front of me, so I never saw their faces, but there was the dad, walking on the outside of the mother, who was pushing a pram. Walking on her inside was a little boy of perhaps 4-5 years of age.
It wasn't anything in particular I guess, just the actions of the little boy as he walked along. He kept one hand on the pram as he hurried alongside his parents. They weren't walking quickly, but his little legs we're hurrying to keep up.

But it was the sense of childish wonderment about him that regressed me. His head kept swivelling around as he tried to take in as much as possible.

As they walked past a park, he kept really staring at every tree he passed, then watched a flock of birds overhead. The next thing was a parked car that took his interest. It wasn't a fancy car, but for some reason out of all the cars he passed, something about that particular one interested him. A guy on a bike cycled past, and you could see him lock onto it and stare with interest as it went past.

As he turned to watch, I saw his face, and he had the biggest grin and looked so happy.

It didn't trigger any particular memory of mine, but I did recall just happily walking around with my parents, feeling safe and loved, and treating even the most mundane shopping trip as an adventure. There was always something new to see and do, and the feeling of having to try and absorb as much as I possibly could.

I wonder at what age we stop doing this, and a walk becomes just that, a walk, and not an adventure.

I actually felt slightly sad after this, realising that I've almost completely lost my sense of joy and wonder at the simple things.

What do you mean "I wonder at what age we stop doing this", that's mean you want to end your life as AB?

MaxToddler said:
What do you mean "I wonder at what age we stop doing this", that's mean you want to end your life as AB?
I think that wombat more meant that most of us at some point just become blind to the little things around us. Worries and tasks take over our minds and we feel like we don't have the time to, well I'll just use the cliche of stop and smell the roses or even look at them. I have an easier time when it comes to being in little head space but I do still have to remind myself once in a while to really notice things. When you do the world is a much more beautiful and happy place.

MaxToddler said:

I'm not sure I even understand what you mean here. I think you've misunderstood my point.

Put it this way. 9 years ago my wife, kids and I, moved across the country. (Australia)
We went from a cold climate, living inland, to living in a near sub tropical environment, less than 400 meters from the beach.
Nearly every house has palm trees in the yard, and I drive around the bay looking over the ocean on my way to and from work every day, and I never get sick of it. Just driving past the big, seaside mansions and the tropical vegetation still elicits a sense of wonderment in me. After living for over 30 years in the cold, rarely seeing the ocean, it's incredible.

But what I was getting at, is kids get this same sensation every day. Every trip is an adventure. The stuff that we, as adults take for granted, is still fantastic for kids.

Now I class myself as a "middle," between 9-12 years old when I'm in my little headspace. But it's hard to just find the simple things that can make me feel little.

I don't get into cartoons, toys, or playing, although I try to. But I'm always so self aware of how I look. I love wearing diapers when I can, but even though I try, I have trouble feeling the real sense of safety and security that I felt as a bed wetting child, who wore nappies to bed until I was eleven.

All I was referring to in regards of the kid I saw, was how much "in the moment " he was. Just enjoying the sights and sounds of an outing with his folks, and how nice it would be if I, myself, could get that same childish sense of wonder again.

I think the reason we stop doing that as we get older is well, we understand the world better. Children, especially young children, are still learning about the world, everything is new to them. They want to know how it works, or what it does, or the most important question "Why?" "Why is the sky blue?" "Why is the grass green?" Those sorts of things, To a child every adventure outside of their home is something new because its their first experience of it.

I don't want to say we're smarter than children is the reason why we don't have that wonder, but we gather more knowledge as we grow older, we get wiser and we start to lose that wonder. Thats my theory anyway.

I've found the best way to get it back is to learn something. Bubba, where's Timbuktu? Afwica's a long way away. Bubba, why we take vose people fwom home?:sad: Vats mean!:mad: Bubba what's vat? A porcupine? It doesn't look like ours. Where's it from? Bwazil? Where's vat? Do vey speak Spanish? Why vey talk so fast? Bubba, say porcupine in Bwitish. We say porkypine here. Bubba what's v stwipey aminal? A tapir? Wow, I always wondered what vey look like! What's v wild kitten? Pwetty clouded leopawd cub.

This is why I love to watch kids, and yes you're right AddyShadows, everything is new to little kids. They see the wonder in all the everyday things we have grown to take for granted. This is why I love to get out on my bike and pedal myself on our bike trail. I'm surrounded by trees, bridges that cross creeks and the beauty of the Shenandoah mountains. You don't have to regress to recapture the wonder you had as a kid, but if both happen, all the better.

Originally Posted by Wombat

I'm not sure I even understand what you mean here. I think you've misunderstood my point.

Put it this way. 9 years ago my wife, kids and I, moved across the country. (Australia)
We went from a cold climate, living inland, to living in a near sub tropical environment, less than 400 meters from the beach.
Nearly every house has palm trees in the yard, and I drive around the bay looking over the ocean on my way to and from work every day, and I never get sick of it. Just driving past the big, seaside mansions and the tropical vegetation still elicits a sense of wonderment in me. After living for over 30 years in the cold, rarely seeing the ocean, it's incredible.

But what I was getting at, is kids get this same sensation every day. Every trip is an adventure. The stuff that we, as adults take for granted, is still fantastic for kids.

Now I class myself as a "middle," between 9-12 years old when I'm in my little headspace. But it's hard to just find the simple things that can make me feel little.

I don't get into cartoons, toys, or playing, although I try to. But I'm always so self aware of how I look. I love wearing diapers when I can, but even though I try, I have trouble feeling the real sense of safety and security that I felt as a bed wetting child, who wore nappies to bed until I was eleven.

All I was referring to in regards of the kid I saw, was how much "in the moment " he was. Just enjoying the sights and sounds of an outing with his folks, and how nice it would be if I, myself, could get that same childish sense of wonder again.
Oh, you mean, you want a feels as children feel their wonder things, isn't it?

As an Autistic, I have never really lost my sense of wonder, and I take in everything as a new unique experience.

Hi all

Be Adult really sucks or is it me, do I suck as an Adult. Either way Adulting is just yuck.
And I have to do it every day! REALLY!!! I don't think so.

Max you are great next you be asking every one "Yes but Why?"

Tacking time and having the time to look at stuff is the best. It Turns everything into a Adventure. And everything you see into something else.

My 2 favourite quotes from Peter Pan. “all you need is faith, trust and a little bit of pixie dust. And “The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.”

For me life is full of wonder and magic. Where all thing are posable all you have to do is belive.

Spike Milligan said really well with his poem The Ning Nang Nong.

On The Ning Nang Nong - Poem by Spike Milligan

On the Ning Nang Nong.
*Where the Cows go Bong!*
and the monkeys all say BOO!*

There's a Nong Nang Ning.*
Where the trees go Ping!*
And the tea pots jibber jabber joo.*

On the Nong Ning Nang.
All the mice go Clang.
And you just can't catch 'em when they do!*

So its Ning Nang Nong*Cows go Bong!*
Nong Nang Ning*
Trees go ping*

Nong Ning Nang*
The mice go Clang.
What a noisy place to belong*is the

Ning Nang Ning Nang Nong!!*

Hee, hee

Any way I will be up in the tree house singing a Raindow and you are well come to join me.

“So come with me, where dreams are born, and time is never planned. Just think of happy things, and your heart will fly on wings, forever, in Never Land!”*

Sisi, the wonder kid.

[/FONT]

Hehe, sisi, nice song,I'm also find that I like looking around like that 4-5 year old little boy, I can get interested in a leaves scuttling across the road, never gets old.

You're right sisi, I am also very happy to be a child. I think adult life making myself being busy.:(
so sometimes we do not feel the happiness of the wonderful world.
it makes me not want to become an adult. and forever be children.:rolleyes:

Thanks.
:):)
MaxToddler

Nicely written observation Wombat. We get blind to the wonders of the world as we get older, we take them for granted. I wonder if this is why time seems to go so much faster as we get older, those new experiences create friction that slows down our perception of time. Perhaps as adults we need to ensure we are constantly pushing ourselves to try new experiences and ensure we are continually learning, for without that something sleeps inside us and seldom awakens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back