Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tena 'Air-dry backing'

Default Tena 'Air-dry backing'

Anyone ordered Tena Slip Maxis in the UK or EU recently, and if so are you still getting the plastic backed version?

I ask because Tena's web site now only lists a new version with "Air dry breathable backing", which to me means cloth backing .

From various web sites that offer ordering, I can't tell if they are the new version or not. I'm especially interested in ordering from Allanda or BlushingBuyer. They don't mention the air dry stuff, but has anyone got some from them recently?

I'd normally order from SaveExpress in Germany as they specify where there's a difference and try to source plastic backed in preference when possible. However the exchange rate to Euros is so bad now that it's quite expensive to order from them. Though still tempted as I can get some Abri and others at the same time.

I hadn't heard about the Breathable backing and the last ones that I ordered (I think from Allanda) were still the old style plastic backed ones.

I will be disappointed if they are changing though, Tena are by far my favourite and I am not a fan of the cloth coverings.

Allanda are still doing the plastic backed. I ordered from them about 2-3 weeks ago.

Breathable backing may not be cloth like ! Cloth like backing is made by placing one more "cloth" on the plastic. It's meaningless for adult diaper but the cloth makes the diaper cost higher then the company can earn more !

Still getting the plastic backed Tena slips from my local chemist.

No change to the packaging either.

Like it or not all diaper company going switch to it cloth stop plastic for one in more helther for skin two it save them money becuase cotton cheaper than plasice cover
    and tree I like cloth back better than plastic becuase it got better tapping system stay even where pull diaper hard it rip diaper before tape pop.

Well don't the cloth backed ones just have a thinner plastic layer and then have a layer of cloth over it? Everyone that Ive messed with has been constructed that way. Thus idk if it breathes more, but would def cost the same if not more to make. I believe that the cloth just makes it quieter, which for people who are incontinent may be a good thing. These products for the most part aren't designed for abs/dls but incontinent people.

Quote Originally Posted by somfme View Post
    Well don't the cloth backed ones just have a thinner plastic layer and then have a layer of cloth over it? Everyone that Ive messed with has been constructed that way. Thus idk if it breathes more, but would def cost the same if not more to make. I believe that the cloth just makes it quieter, which for people who are incontinent may be a good thing. These products for the most part aren't designed for abs/dls but incontinent people.
    The "cloth" backing is the same material as fabric softener sheets.

From experience the Tena Ultra that are marketed in the US sound like what is being marketed in the UK.

In terms of cost, you still have to provide the waterproof barrier, otherwise the diaper simply doesn't do it's job. Speaking from experience the cloth backed are more prone to leaking than plastic backed. Relative to other cloth backed diapers I've tried the Tena are better in terms of leaks and sweating.

Harmony (a European diaper) switched to cloth backing and I'm not sure there's much if any plastic underneath the cloth layer as if it's wet too much the whole outer layer becomes damp and it's clearly leaking straight out through the layers. Even then though it still holds a lot and has one of the best fits of an adult diaper in my opinion, but it's not as good as the plastic covered version sadly.

Tena has always been great in plastic backed form for prevention of leaks, and smell. I've never experienced any skin problems with Tena.

angelabauer

Carlos Richer is a leading consultant to the baby disposable diaper industry. He started the business of manufacturing disposables in Latin America. Google him because his website will tell you more about the construction of disposable than any of us might want to know.

Gary Hirsch is the designer of many of the generic adult disposables made world wide. Google his website to learn technical details of adult diapers.

The whole "cloth-like" thing started because mothers disliked the feel of poly-plastic outer layer against their arms when they were carrying their baby. As Richer points out, the baby cannot tell the difference. This cloth-like outer layer is a combination of a really thin poly-plastic film with a spun plastic non-woven film. In another answer a member compared that to fabric softener dryer sheet and that is correct. There is no woven cotton involved.

A classic poly-plastic outer layer has the advantage that it slides on sheets without clinging. Clinging pulls gaps which leak. A downside to conventional poly-plastic is that it is very difficult to remove a sticky tape without ruining the diaper. A work-around is a stiffer landing zone.

In theory all the cloth-like outer layer is half of a Velcro fastening system, so that sort of tab can be repositioned. Often the cloth-like layer can be made slightly stretchy and more flexible than poly-plastic. We all know some poly-plastic diapers are very flexible. Some cloth-like work better than others. We also know that cloth-like works much better on baby diapers because actual babies pee much less per area of diaper than do adults and babies get their diaper changed more frequently. Nearly always a poly-plastic diaper can be more completely soaked without leaks than could cloth-like.

In 1990 when I joined DPF at age 26 only a tiny percentage of ABDL members were younger than me. There was hardly any interest in disposable adult diapers. All the messages were about actual cloth, so I fit right in. Over the years people who never wore cloth as a kid are now the majority of most ABDL groups. To these nice people poly-plastic is the favorite outer layer. As younger and younger people join the ABDL community probably in another 10 years cloth-like outer layer will be considered the standard.

Diapers are diapers. The thing is we have to use a particular diaper to suit its construction. Because a cotton diaper soaks all over almost always they deal better with large floods of pee. Modern disposables have a feel-dry layer to protect the skin that does not allow as rapid absorption, but mixed with the fluff is gel that really handles a large volume of pee so long as it is dribbled.

We need to send comments to diaper manufacturers telling them the features we like. If enough people buy poly-plastic diapers they will continue in production as long as the machines making them can be operated and the raw material is available.