Tabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryPotter

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Often when trying to get a good fit with my nappy the tabs can pull clean off. Also after a while they can slip and it all comes loose. Are there any products that can keep my nappy nice and tight?

Duct Tape (ah-woo ooo! Tails of daring always fixed with Duck Tape!)

[video=youtube;CMU2NwaaXEA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMU2NwaaXEA[/video]

the adhesive on duct/duck tape softens with bodyheat. 'reinforced parcel tape' gives a stronger and longerlasting stick.
View attachment 26461

bambinod said:
pretty much nothing beats filament tape for strength and tear resistance

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181895419082

not that one, ew!
crossply is what you want (like what i posted :biggrin:). the straight fibred stuff is a nightmare as it actively wants to split down it's length. i've got half a roll left, but it's not the first nor the second half, if you get my drift.

ade said:
not that one, ew!
crossply is what you want (like what i posted :biggrin:). the straight fibred stuff is a nightmare as it actively wants to split down it's length. i've got half a roll left, but it's not the first nor the second half, if you get my drift.

perhaps... but just try to tear a piece off... NOT happening, not without a blade of some sort.

As said above, tape is the obvious answer. A tight-fitting garment like a onesie, compression underwear, or skin-tight bodysuit like a Little Keeper Sleeper can also help. But I have to observe that if you are regularly popping tapes, then maybe you are trying to fit it too tightly. If it's not elasticated, then it's meant to be snug, not tight.

I too use duct tape at the first sign of a tab slipping and as soon as i apply it my worry's go away.

I have just recently started using abena l4 premiums, and had the tabs tear off overnight. I found that 1 inch wide gorilla tape is the perfect size to reinforce the tabs. i use about a 6 inch piece on all 4 tabs, and so far so good!

ade said:
the adhesive on duct/duck tape softens with bodyheat. 'reinforced parcel tape' gives a stronger and longerlasting stick.
View attachment 26461

Ohhh... The "duct" tape I buy has those criss-crossing threads in... At least... I thought it was duct tape. I've chucked away the packaging now, so I can't check. But the stuff I have looks like it is made of one layer of the stuff in the photo bonded to a coloured plastic layer.

I have found even using a price of masking tape can reinforce a unpopped tab and keep it from happening.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

tiny said:
Ohhh... The "duct" tape I buy has those criss-crossing threads in... At least... I thought it was duct tape. I've chucked away the packaging now, so I can't check. But the stuff I have looks like it is made of one layer of the stuff in the photo bonded to a coloured plastic layer.

'duck' tape is made using cotton webbing, rather the fibreglass webbing as Bambi and i seem to favour. as important, though, is the type of adhesive. i first picked up the fibreglass packaging tape in the 90s at a fleamarket and i was immediately won over by it's sticking ability (not using 'stickiness' as it makes it sound like sticky treacle or something). i wasn't really wearing adult dispies at that point, it was later that i found out how much better it was than owt else. i think it was around the time that those replacement tabs came out (and they were crap!); remember them? do they still do them?

ade said:
'duck' tape is made using cotton webbing, rather the fibreglass webbing as Bambi and i seem to favour. as important, though, is the type of adhesive. i first picked up the fibreglass packaging tape in the 90s at a fleamarket and i was immediately won over by it's sticking ability (not using 'stickiness' as it makes it sound like sticky treacle or something).

Ah, right. Well, the tape I've been using sticks fine to every diaper (except the BetterDry ones, where it sometimes comes unstuck a little for some reason).

ade said:
i wasn't really wearing adult dispies at that point, it was later that i found out how much better it was than owt else.

Oh -- I remember reading some of your posts from ages ago and I seem to recall that you were wearing cloth (only?). Have you switched to disposables now? Or using both? Random question -- hope you don't mind my curiosity! :)

ade said:
i think it was around the time that those replacement tabs came out (and they were crap!); remember them? do they still do them?

Replacement tabs...? You mean the double-layer tapes that have a blue layer that sticks down first, allowing you to unpeel the top white tape and reposition it? Like on Abena AbriForms? Yeah... virtually every single diaper I've ever tried has those. Tena don't (or didn't when they were plastic-backed), and I remember one or two that had a "landing strip" where single-tapes could be reapplied. But all the others have those double-layer blue-and-white tapes. I actually prefer them.

tiny said:
Oh -- I remember reading some of your posts from ages ago and I seem to recall that you were wearing cloth (only?). Have you switched to disposables now? Or using both? Random question -- hope you don't mind my curiosity! :)
not at all.
there's no straight answer, other than 'both', without an explanation: i'm pretty much wearing cloth mostly; there's the issue with my HS which makes cloth better as they're cleaner than dispies, and dispies can't withstand creams and ointments. i guess you could call it more of a phased transistion back to cloth (as dispies become ever more shitter and contradicting of the design intent of the 'all-in-one'). i have a stash of dispies which i'm only slowly wearing down (Betterdry, Comficare, Indaslip, Tenaslip, Molicare); to be honest, i think twice about wearing a dispy, and of the type/brand, as there's more chance of an infection with them (and it does seem to vary with type and brand).
(oh, and my aside of the week, and since you like your documentaries, is that i find myself to have lots in common with Karl Marx (inc. HS); Bettany Hughes has a new series on BBC4, Genius of the Modern World, if you haven't yet seen)
so, in context: brought up in trads (70's and 80's), dismissive of dispies when they were introduced, got tempted (if you'd tried the established disposable options of the 80's, you'd know why), got a liking for Cosifits (a sensory thing: they were the stiffest and crinkliest), outgrew baby stuff and started looking for other options, discovered Slipad and was chuffed (even though they were crap; but so were all dispies back then)....and from thereon it was a mix of trads and dispies, depending on what was available. it wasn't until the mid-to-late 90's that i was regulary buying dispies.
it does feel like we're at the end of a brief era of the disposable all-in-one.

tiny said:
Replacement tabs...? You mean the double-layer tapes that have a blue layer that sticks down first, allowing you to unpeel the top white tape and reposition it? Like on Abena AbriForms? Yeah... virtually every single diaper I've ever tried has those.
no, i mean replacement tabs bought seperately (honest!)
they were usually about a quid [for a pack of however many] and really crap (just a flimsy double-sided tape with a blue grab strip). corner-shops often sold them, along with the locally made dispies (before Pampers & co killed them off).

edit: thought i'd best add, for the OP, and with regard to double-sided tape, as just mentioned above, that the double-sided tapes available generally, including carpet-tape and the like, also suffer from the effects of bodyheat.

Last edited:
Gaff tape works well, Bear brand or, if you can afford it, Nashua is the best. I'm a lighting Technician so i usually have some at home or in my tool bag.

ade said:
(oh, and my aside of the week, and since you like your documentaries, is that i find myself to have lots in common with Karl Marx (inc. HS); Bettany Hughes has a new series on BBC4, Genius of the Modern World, if you haven't yet seen)

Ah -- I saw that was on the other night, but I didn't manage to watch it. I'll check it out online -- cheers!

ade said:
so, in context: brought up in trads (70's and 80's), dismissive of dispies when they were introduced, got tempted (if you'd tried the established disposable options of the 80's, you'd know why), got a liking for Cosifits (a sensory thing: they were the stiffest and crinkliest), outgrew baby stuff and started looking for other options, discovered Slipad and was chuffed (even though they were crap; but so were all dispies back then)....and from thereon it was a mix of trads and dispies, depending on what was available. it wasn't until the mid-to-late 90's that i was regulary buying dispies.

I only realised that adult diapers were a thing in the mid-to-late '90s(!), so that was around the time I started buying them too. I remember the plastic being much thicker and crinklier, and the padding being stiffer, which I also quite liked. I'd always intended to wear cloth (when I became a proper adult and had my own space), since that's what I was raised in, but by the time I tried them, I'd been wearing disposables and it felt weird that they weren't as snug-fitting.

ade said:
it does feel like we're at the end of a brief era of the disposable all-in-one.

I know what you mean. The switch to fuzzy backing, the thinner plastic, the breathable wings, the incredible thinness of padding... Ahh...

I bought some Kolibri Comslips last year. They were amazing -- thick, unstretchable plastic, completely plain white, thick, firm padding. I reordered, and they're about a quarter of the thickness, with breathable sides and tapes that only just hold up. Total rubbish!

ade said:
no, i mean replacement tabs bought seperately (honest!)
they were usually about a quid [for a pack of however many] and really crap (just a flimsy double-sided tape with a blue grab strip). corner-shops often sold them, along with the locally made dispies (before Pampers & co killed them off).

Huh. I'd never heard of locally-made disposables or those replacement tapes. Interesting...

tiny said:
Huh. I'd never heard of locally-made disposables.... Interesting...
that may be more of a northern thing: a lot of the old cotton mills had the NHS contracts and contacts for supplying the cotton goods and when disposable goods became the 'in thing', many diversified into that, as makers themselves and as distributors for what are now the big players in disposable nappies and inco-wear.
i've worked at a couple, previously. one, which made it's own brand adult dispies and distributed a well-known brand and was eventually bought out by that brand; the other ventured more into sanitary goods and consumables. the latter was also a distributor for Kanga (Kylie pants) at a time when the only readily available plastic pants were Kanga and Boots' offerings, neither of which were actually designed for terry nappies and more for the pant and pad gig (thenceforth, we get our current poor designs of plastic pants).
the place from which you get/got your TenderCares also used to make it's own brand and that was my regular until they stopped and i moved onto Kendall Lille. got some pics (vidcaps) of the them on my other PC; i should've kept a better record of all this stuff [sigh]. i think i've mentioned it before that that place is worth a visit as it's quite picturesque, nestled amongst the hills and a bit better looking than, but not too unlike this,
View attachment 26482

and the inside of the admin building is a dream for wood-lovers (i'll leave that one with you :p )

there are still quite a few places like that, hidden away and beavering away, and making all kinds of things which you may use daily and wouldn't expect to be churned out by little old mills in the back of beyond. it can make it a bit of a nightmare if you're in a wagon or a van as the roads to such places derive from the horse and cart days.

Last edited:
Oh, yes... I vaguely remember you saying you worked in an old mill that made disposables! It's coming back to me! I have such a terrible memory!

Lovely photo, though. I'd love to get out for a nice bike ride through those rolling hills instead of being stuck in the supposed "green belt" of London which must be the greyest part of the country (unless you go off-road and mingle with the 1%).

tiny said:
I'd love to get out for a nice bike ride through those rolling hills .
those hills aren't so rolling once you're climbing them ;). around here, only the dedicated racers cycle. the stuff you may have seen on the Tour de Yorkshire (just over t' border) were the easy climbs around here.

ade said:
those hills aren't so rolling once you're climbing them ;). around here, only the dedicated racers cycle. the stuff you may have seen on the Tour de Yorkshire (just over t' border) were the easy climbs around here.

Ah, I don't watch any sport. I'm not a racer, but I sort-of converted my hardtail mountain bike into more of a tourer. It has rear panniers, extra water bottle holders, plenty of light mounts, and lower gears than a racer. I'd be up for any climb where gravity doesn't make me instantly plummet to my death! It might take me a couple of hours of grunting and swearing, but I'd do it! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back