Thread: Bassists please rise

Default Bassists please rise

I want to play!! bass guitar...

and I have no freaking clue where to start. So far, other then looking at them, mucking around, and talking to my Extremly "music nerd" friends about them, i got nuffin.

Anyone know any good sites/magazines/tips for a beginner Bass player?

Or what kind/brand of Bass to buy?

Thank you.

I don't know a whole lot about bass guitars, but I do play the bass (the string one, or acoustic, whatever you want to call it).

I will say, the bass is probably one of the easier instruments to learn, but it does take quite some time to master. As for buying one, I would try to find a local music shop, most music shops that I've found are small independently owned ones where the staff there truly know there stuff. The shops I've been to, they'll let you try them out in the store and chances are, if you simply tell them that you are looking at learning bass guitar, they'll be glad to help you and probably show you some pointers - after all, if you start liking the bass, they will have a new repeat customer and stores love that.

My best advice would be to look in the yellow pages, or yellowpages.com, since I don't actually use a phone book anymore, look for music shops, walk on in and tell them what you're looking for.

Edit: Ugh... Ace types faster than me

I have been playing guitar for a few years now, it is extremely simmilar to bass. Just a few octaves lower and has 4 strings (or 5 or 6 or like 20....) but the best thing to get is a 4 string to learn on. I prefer junior basses over standard basses, because the bass fretboard is fucking HUGE! But you may like the regular ones.

The best thing to do is go to a local Guitar Center or music shop (music shop=usually cheaper) and ask around. The people are always trying to make a sale. (they used to work for commission at GC. (maybe they still do))

You won't pick a bass. It will pick you. They're not all the same.

If you do want to just wing it, (bad idea) here are some good sites:
    Guitarcenter.com
    Zzounds.com
    Musiciansfriend.com
    Music123.com
    (it's a pain in the ass to make links on my iPod....)

P.S. I am a music nerd. But I prefer to be called a geek.

If you want to play bass I suggest you know where you want to end up,

If you like metal, chances are you will want to listen to Anesthesia Pulling Teeth by Metallica, a 4 minute bass solo by one of the best bassists of all time - Cliff Burton, he doesn't use a plectrum

If you like Funk or light rock, listen to a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers - Flea is an incredible bassist who also doesn't use a plectrum

If you aren't sure you want to play bass forever, you should get a relativly cheap one first (no more than £250-300) once you get good, and after a few years (4-5) get a better one

I don't play bass, I play guitar and I did the same thing - I looked at who I want to be like for me it started as bands like Bloc Party and Stokes, but evolved into Metallica, Funeral For A Friend and lostprophets

If you're a complete beginner you might want to look at one of those packs that include the bass, amp, cords and other stuff. I first got a Squier pack which included:

Fender Affinity Series™ Squier Jazz Bass - Red
    Gig Bag
    Fender Rumble 15 Combo Amp
    Headphones
    Strap
    Fender Cable
    Fender Instructional Video

I think I payed about $300 for it, and it's worked out great. If you don't feel like paying that much you could always go for a less expensive brand. There's a lot of cheap but good beginner's stuff if you look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Me :p View Post
    Edit: Ugh... Ace types faster than me

I have been playing guitar for a few years now, it is extremely simmilar to bass. Just a few octaves lower and has 4 strings (or 5 or 6 or like 20....) but the best thing to get is a 4 string to learn on. I prefer junior basses over standard basses, because the bass fretboard is fucking HUGE! But you may like the regular ones.

The best thing to do is go to a local Guitar Center or music shop (music shop=usually cheaper) and ask around. The people are always trying to make a sale. (they used to work for commission at GC. (maybe they still do))

You won't pick a bass. It will pick you. They're not all the same.

If you do want to just wing it, (bad idea) here are some good sites:
    Guitarcenter.com
    Zzounds.com
    Musiciansfriend.com
    Music123.com
    (it's a pain in the ass to make links on my iPod....)

P.S. I am a music nerd. But I prefer to be called a geek.
    I like to be called a geek more too.

and funny, i was just at guitar center yesterday just mucking around with basses and seeing what brands i liked and didnt.

Quote Originally Posted by PadDaBrat View Post
    If you're a complete beginner you might want to look at one of those packs that include the bass, amp, cords and other stuff. I first got a Squier pack which included:

Gig Bag
    Headphones
    Strap
    Fender Cable

I think I payed about $300 for it, and it's worked out great. If you don't feel like paying that much you could always go for a less expensive brand. There's a lot of cheap but good beginner's stuff if you look for it.
    My friend would kill me if i got a squire. they are apparently the worst thing fender makes >.<

I'm selling mine if you want lol, it comes with a Fender Squire P-Bass, bag, Fender Rumble 15W amp, music stand and books, cables & digitech BP-80 multi effect pedal. Only £235 for the lot, but £100 P&P plus taxes .

Quote Originally Posted by FalloutFox View Post
    My friend would kill me if i got a squire. they are apparently the worst thing fender makes >.<
    Your friend is right. They're also the cheapest. I find that you get what you pay for with Squier. My bass works out fine, and my brothers custom Squier Telecaster is a damn good guitar considering what he payed for it.

If you don't wanna go for Squier, I've heard lots of good stuff about Cort when it comes to cheaper instruments. Just don't buy the cheapest one they make. I did that with my first guitar, and I can honestly say that it's crap.

Quote Originally Posted by PadDaBrat View Post

Gig Bag
    Headphones
    Strap
    Fender Cable

That's what I have, bought it almost two years ago when I started lessons.
    Only difference in mine, PadDaBrat, is that mine's a precision bass.

I'd say, Squier P-bass pack. They come in red, black, or blue. On sale, it's about $200 instead of $300.