Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best position to pee while lying down?

Default Best position to pee while lying down?

So I am going to have some time to sleep in diapers in about a week. First time in years. Anyways, I just wanted to get some feedback on best position to use to avoid leaks. Any suggestions? Also, I have Abena m4, Abu simple and molicare super plus. Which would be the best for night?

All three brands should work well, just based on your body shape/diaper fit will determine which is best.

Wear the diaper a little lower in the back and higher in the front and tape tightly with it pulled snug to the crotch.

Always best to wet laying on your back with Willy pointed down into the center of the diaper.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddedInPuyallup View Post
    So I am going to have some time to sleep in diapers in about a week. First time in years. Anyways, I just wanted to get some feedback on best position to use to avoid leaks. Any suggestions? Also, I have Abena m4, Abu simple and molicare super plus. Which would be the best for night?
    I don't think there's any debait on position - lay on your back and stay there. Tummy works but is a bit lower capacity. Side is asking for trouble - most disposables will leak almost immediately. Point down of course. Don't snug the padding up against your junk - fold the crotch's center line away from your body so you have a channel / gutter from front to back to give liquids an easy path, especially when the padding has swelled up a bit.

I've found the lower tapes don't have to be really tight as long as you don't flood repeatedly. Attach the lower tapes in and DOWN toward the leg elastic and around the legs. (not UP) Decent leak guards help. Wear something with enough capacity to handle you overnight. (I've been going a lot overnight recently, Xplus/4 sometimes aren't enough, kitten often are full to the limit, and last night's space had less than 2" of dry padding left in the back by this morning)

I'm gonna be the dissenting opinion - pointing down is difficult for some people. NB: I don't usually stress the capacity of diapers - I go to bed minimally hydrated and with a fresh diaper.

Lying on back, I find the pee travels the contours of your body (if pointing up), around the side and partly into the back padding, partly through the cracks in the side.

Lying on side, the first time the side fluff can take the brunt of a flood. Lots of things will leak a little.

Lying on tummy has been safest for me, with some precautions (including taping the waist especially tightly, and keeping the rest somewhat loose).

The major problem is making sure gravity pulls everything to somewhere absorbant. When lying on back/tummy, even a slight shift in the mattress could make everything come up the waistband. Strategic pillows or raising the head of the bed can help with this.

OTOH, some of us tend to wake up soaked (like I did this morning) and so we need our diapers in top form or we'll have leaks by morning. Gravity is part 1, wicking is part 2. You need to direct the wetness somewhere that can handle the sudden delivery, and then move it somewhere else to make room for more.

I wake up fairly frequently overnight, and with my level of hydration about 1/2 of those times I can feel a little pressure in my bladder. That gets taken care of and I go right back to sleep. This curtails a flood in the morning, and gives my diaper plenty of time to wick to the rear (often all the way up to the end) and get the center crotch area less saturated before I make the next addition an hour later.

At this point, bambino, kitten, and xplus are my minimum requirement for overnight protection, as I really don't want to have to get up and change overnight. (that'll disturb my sleep pattern much more than a potty break!) ABU and Rearz are now my preferred overnight diapers, and are required on the weekend because I sleep in.

Also, at a certain point you'll start wicking forward. I had wicked about 1/2 way up the front of my space by the time I got up this morning. Wicking in the front isn't likely to lead to a leak, it just makes the front of your diaper bulk up quite a bit

I don't worry about leaks but am usually laid almost on my stomach as it how I sleep and I pee in my sleep every night

In my experience sleeping position and pointing direction are of little concern with cloth diapers. Wish the same could be said of disposables. There’s got to be answer?

Quote Originally Posted by WBxx View Post
    In my experience sleeping position and pointing direction are of little concern with cloth diapers. Wish the same could be said of disposables. There’s got to be answer?
    Well, cloth wicks really well, and the plastic pants can allow urine to pool until the cloth has time to wick and distribute, so that's not too surprising. Disposables can only pool in so much as the leak guards can manage... that works well while standing, but not while laying down.

Quote Originally Posted by TOWEL View Post
    Lying on back, I find the pee travels the contours of your body (if pointing up), around the side and partly into the back padding, partly through the cracks in the side.
    If you have a larger body, or if your diaper is on the smaller size for your body fit, you will likely leak around the sides much more easily, because there is less diaper coverage/protection around your hip area.

As a larger man myself, I only point down and sleep on my back because if the urine gets high enough on my body go go down over my hips there WILL be leaks.

If I have to go in the middle of the night, I'll usually just sit up or get on all fours to do it.