Northshore diaper ads appearing on random web pages for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've started seeing ads for diapers on several sites I go to. Sites that don't normally show those kinds of ads, usually fairly large images of bags of diapers or diaper briefs etc. Always Northshore. Then I noticed at the bottom, "Sponsored Links by Taboola".

When I followed up on that it says, "This content was picked for you by Taboola because we thought you would like it or based on your interests and/or visits to previous websites. This content is paid for by the advertiser whose ad you clicked on."

In other words, it sees a cookie on my system from my having visited www.northshorecare.com and is displaying diaper ads all over the place as a result. I can't browse slashdot or ebay without seeing diaper ads constantly. I'm sure there are other sites using taboola also that I just haven't recognized yet.

People use my computer from time to time. I keep my diaper shopping out of my web history, but this is starting to get annoying. Is anyone else seeing this? I feel like this is a bit of a privacy issue. If I'm already shopping at your site do I really need to see ads for your products elsewhere? I think their advertising dollars would be better spent acquiring new customers than compromising the discression of existing customers' computers.

(yes I realilze there are options to keep my web browsing history private, ghostery and private browsing etc etc but I think this is getting out of hand and in unexpected / unwelcom ways)

Yep, this is what happens when you let your browser remember where you've been, which is why I ALWAYS use Private mode in Firefox or Incognito in Chrome. You'll find that option in the upper right-hand corner of both browsers and it will make sure your browser doesn't track your browsing history when on here or other diaper-related sites.

-RMS

RMS401 said:
Yep, this is what happens when you let your browser remember where you've been, which is why I ALWAYS use Private mode in Firefox or Incognito in Chrome. You'll find that option in the upper right-hand corner of both browsers and it will make sure your browser doesn't track your browsing history when on here or other diaper-related sites.

-RMS

I second this. I use Firefox and set it to not remember any history and erase everything when I close the browser. I can count on one hand the number of times anyone has actually used my computer, but its best to be covered in the chance it comes up.

LstNwf said:
I second this. I use Firefox and set it to not remember any history and erase everything when I close the browser. I can count on one hand the number of times anyone has actually used my computer, but its best to be covered in the chance it comes up.

It's unfortunately not all that uncommon for me. I'm a bit of a techie in the area and there are numerous people that come over here to use the lab to work on equipment with my assistance. Sometimes we have to look up specs or schematics, hunt for instructions or watch a video of a process, and the computer gets used.

I understand targeted and affiliate advertising, but I had hoped for more consideration and descression from Northshore, not to pay advertisers to make diaper ads show up on other web pages I browsed. As I said above, this is only happening to their existing customers. I don't understand why they don't focus on advertising to new people instead of harassing ME. Besides that, I was just expecting them in particular to be more discrete with their ads. They're selling a personal product, not lawn gnomes. I'd be pissed at Trojan if after buying from their store online I was getting their condom ads popping up everywhere in my web browser. If you want to remind me you're there, send me a private email occasionally. (preferably with an opt-out link if you are getting pesty) Web browsers are NOT private on a lot of computers that have shared users.

Despite many attempts to keep in control of this exact situation, it's still a problem for me as well. I frequently have ads for depends and other adult diapers in my browser, which when sharing a computer can be quite stressful - private browsing or not.

Yes, I see this and ads for Goodnites. Sometimes Tranquility.

I get similar results from Swanson Vitamin. Everything I go to for a few weeks afterwards displays their ad.

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

I'm with RMS401 and LstNfw. All of my DL browsing and purchasing is done incognito with a separate email address. Every once in awhile I right-click "open in new tab" instead of "open in new incognito window", but I quickly realize this and immediately delete the history. I have never received these ads, though I have for other purchases. Yes, it seems rather stupid to advertise a product from a supplier from whom you have already purchased that product.

Northshore Care has long been sort of forward in their marketing efforts (first paper and now online). I do everything that's out of the ordinary in private browsing, so it hasn't been a problem.

I'd love it if it weren't socially (commercially?) acceptable for companies to do such things but since that ship sailed a good while ago, it's just a question of which companies customers will accept engaging in such practices. I'm not giving them the option of choosing for me.

I've been seeing a lot of Northshore ads when on yahoo mail recently. I've never been a customer or shopped their website. (I wear cloth diapers.) But they are not the only offenders. I recently got a Sears dehumidifier at Goodwill and went to Sears' site to get the manual and parts list. Now Yahoo is showing ads for Sears dehumidifers.

this happens to me too, one way i keep it from showing up is by useing a seperate browser for my diaper stuff, i use opera as my diaper browser and chrome for everything else.

I have had Depends ads appear. The thing is I have never bought Depends. Rather annoying.

Besides Incognito on Chrome try using DuckDuckGo. It does not allow cookies to be deposited on your computer

I haven't had an issues with northshore diapers but I have had Amazon ads for diapers or abdl things. I get nervous when I'm at work and looking online on my phone hoping no one will see that. I'm sure if they notice they won't assume I would buy that but I still don't want to take that chance and will refresh the page hoping for another ad

Would Malwarebytes take care of this? I too erase everything as I'm surfing. I've also used incognito.

dogboy said:
Would Malwarebytes take care of this? I too erase everything as I'm surfing. I've also used incognito.

afaik Malwarebytes isn't in the business of browser history, it just removes malware?

bambinod said:
afaik Malwarebytes isn't in the business of browser history, it just removes malware?

I wondered if something else underlying all of this was acting like malware?

Hi there bambinod!

First of all, I have to say that it is my pleasure to be officially helping the community! :D
I read your post and really felt the urge of sharing a possible (although potential) solution to your problem. From what I've read the problem lies in some kind of adware that is affecting your browsing experience. I noticed that because of this
When I followed up on that it says, "This content was picked for you by Taboolabecause we thought you would like it or based on your interests and/or visits to previous websites. This content is paid for by the advertiser whose ad you clicked on."
By the way, while surfing the web, have you ever found coloured letters, probably underlined, that when you pass the cursor over they pop-up an advertisement?

Anyways, I strongly suggest downloading a free software "AdwCleaner", which you can get for free at ToolsLib, its official site. It is a tool that will scan your computer for any potential adwares that may be interfering with your browsers. After that, it will prompt to reset your computer and then, when you log in again, a .txt report will pop up. Don't panic! As I said, it is a report stating the files that has been scanned in the process and will not pop up again. Sometimes, and with sometimes I mean very rarely, these adwares appear in "Uninstall a program" section of the Control Panel (that if using Windows 7) or similar.

Also, if you want to prevent these situations you may find useful to download Adblock (also for free), a browser extension that will, as the name suggests, automatically block any potential ads and pop-ups.

Hope this helps someone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back