Not open for further replies.

LittleICme

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I finally was able to get a sample of ABU Simple/Space diapers.
I got a medium and large, and decided to measure them in comparison to my existing night time diaper, the Dry 24/7.

Dry 24/7 - Medium
Advertised Sizing: 32-44" waist/hips
Actual Width 28"
Actual Length 34"

ABU Simple - Medium
Advertised Sizing: 28-36" waist/hips
Actual Width 23"
Actual Length 31"

ABU Simple - Large
Advertised Sizing: 36-46" waist/hips
Actual Width 30"
Actual Length 37"

Thank you! Very helpful :)

I also really appreciate this.

Yes, I've found that nearly everybody other than DRY247 is a little skimpy in their dimensioning.

medium Dry 24/7's fit me the best all other diapers I have tried I need to get the large size.

Rob110 said:
medium Dry 24/7's fit me the best all other diapers I have tried. I need to get the large size.

Ditto. Bellissimo large works for me as well.

Thanks for the info OP, but a day or two late for me. I too ordered the M/L Simple sample pack, but by your measurements it looks like I will be ordering large in the future.

Rob110 said:
medium Dry 24/7's fit me the best all other diapers I have tried I need to get the large size.

If the mediums fit perfectly (which they do for me), I wouldn't recommend getting the larges.

Well, after trying both the medium and large ABU Simples......

I find the fit of the Dry 24/7 are best for me.

The medium ABU are similar sizing to the Bambino mediums. The sizing does not provide sufficient frontal coverage for me for night time (I have to have a longer diaper that I can fit high in the front because I have a big stick.)

I actually thought the ABU large was going to be great because of the larger sizing. The ABU Large fit better for night time, but may have been a little too big for me or I didn't get the tapes tight enough as I leaked from the leg openings last night (something that has never happened with Dry 24/7 for me, and if I leak I usually leak out the front waistband.) I may order again a small pack of ABU large and give them another chance, but... at this time I am going to stay with the Dry 24/7 as my primary night time diaper.

Curious also, was that the padding in the front of the Dry 24/7 seemed thicker than the ABU. This was by no means any sort of test, just a random observation while conducting the measurements. I will have to look into this again if I order ABU's again.

It would be great if others could add the dimensions of some other diapers in their inventory. I would be willing to compile a small database and post with the summarized info.

Depends also on how you're going to measure them. It's a problem because your diaper is 2-dimensional but your pelvis is 3-dimensional. The upper tapes just have to go around your beltline, so you just have to measure width in back plus front plus tape length. But you'll always need the lower tapes to go farther. They have to go around the wider part of your hip, and they have to come close in the crotch and then back out, and that also adds distance. It can vary a bit but as a general rule I add 4 inches to my beltline to figure out what the lower tapes have to cover. Some diapers' stated waist size only considers the top tapes, and that gets some of us burned. "oh I'm a 38" waist, this diaper says it fits up to 40", it should be fine!" NOPE. The lower tapes will NOT reach, if the measurement was for the upper tapes.

LittleICme said:
Well, after trying both the medium and large ABU Simples......

I find the fit of the Dry 24/7 are best for me.

The medium ABU are similar sizing to the Bambino mediums. The sizing does not provide sufficient frontal coverage for me for night time (I have to have a longer diaper that I can fit high in the front because I have a big stick.)

I found that the Bellissimo large was better because the tapes were more dependable. Also the rise is higher which is what you state you want.

LittleICme said:
I actually thought the ABU large was going to be great because of the larger sizing. The ABU Large fit better for night time, but may have been a little too big for me or I didn't get the tapes tight enough as I leaked from the leg openings last night (something that has never happened with Dry 24/7 for me, and if I leak I usually leak out the front waistband.) I may order again a small pack of ABU large and give them another chance, but... at this time I am going to stay with the Dry 24/7 as my primary night time diaper.

I have posted this before, but here it is again. It is a little more work, but worth it to me. Poke four holes in each of the rear wings and lace it up with 1/4" elastic (use safety pins for threading) like tying a shoe. Lie on your back and raise your knees towards your chest. Lower your feet to the floor simultaneously pulling up on the back of the nappy. Do this until the nappy no longer tightens against your legs (about four times). Bottom tapes up, top tapes down. You cannot get any tighter around your legs than this.

Kenn said:
I have posted this before, but here it is again. It is a little more work, but worth it to me. Poke four holes in each of the rear wings and lace it up with 1/4" elastic (use safety pins for threading) like tying a shoe. Lie on your back and raise your knees towards your chest. Lower your feet to the floor simultaneously pulling up on the back of the nappy. Do this until the nappy no longer tightens against your legs (about four times). Bottom tapes up, top tapes down. You cannot get any tighter around your legs than this.

If you haven't already, can you post a few pics on this process? I'm usually pretty good at visualizing things but I'm having difficulty with this one. Or if you've shot it before. please link.

bambinod said:
If you haven't already, can you post a few pics on this process? I'm usually pretty good at visualizing things but I'm having difficulty with this one. Or if you've shot it before. please link.

I did have a photograph of the FRONT lace-up, but the picture was taken down by the mods. I have now added a avatar picture using a PILLOW instead of a body so it should be okay. Shown is a Bellessimo large with the back lacing (imagine someone lying belly down.) The needle nose scissors shown were used for poking the holes, and the safety pins were used for threading. When poking the holes, I align the edges of the two wings, inside to inside, poke the top and bottom hole sets first and then the two inner two hole sets. I also described the process fairly thoroughly in the following threads:

https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/91809-Snugger-Fit?highlight=snugger+fit
https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/95167-Snugger-Fit-Part-II?highlight=lacing

The front lace-up in the second thread was necessary due to the lousy tapes on the Dry 24/7. With Bellessimos, the tapes are good enough that I no longer need to lace the front, however if you want to wear and remove the nappy several times, front lacing works great.

Last edited:
ok I understand the how now, but am still surprised that actually holds. got anything higher res than that?

bambinod said:
ok I understand the how now, but am still surprised that actually holds. got anything higher res than that?

If you look at the lacing as between a pair of pulleys, with all of the strands between the two wings, there is tremendous mechanical advantage (the more holes, the better). The holes do enlarge somewhat, but surprisingly they are round and not slots.

The photograph was taken with a 7 megapixel camera. Maybe something was lost in the translation. Regardless, since you now know how to do it you can take your own hi-rez pictures! :2thumbsup: Try it and tell me what you think. Don't forget to raise and lower your legs to tighten the nappy thoroughly before taping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back