Can you prove that giraffes actually exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuctifano

Est. Contributor
Role
If someone asked you to prove that giraffes actually exist, how would you go about doing it?

Photographs and videos are not proof.

They're at our local zoo. Whoever has the question can go knock themselves out.

Meh, any pedantic discussion about the existence of anything comes down to the definition of the thing being argued. First you have to define what a giraffe is in a way both parties agree to, then you provide appropriate proof to satisfy that definition.

Practically speaking, this is academic naval gazing nonsense. We've all seen pictures and videos (which are perfectly valid proof) of what the common person thinks of as a giraffe.

What if all the giraffes that you've seen have just been men in really convincing suits?

fuctifano said:
What if all the giraffes that you've seen have just been men in really convincing suits?

My mind would be blown and I would be questioning the entire world. XD
Obviously that is something that will never occur because of how silly it is.

Did you know that baby Giraffes can walk right after they're born?

No I can not prove that.

fuctifano said:

Are you stoned?

And in all honesty, while it would be an interesting bit of trivia, giraffes turning out to be an elaborate hoax wouldn't really have a big impact on my life.

One of the realities of science and life in general is we can't personally verify everything that we rely on to make decisions. We have to trust that commonly circulated information is accurate by virtue of group consensus.

fuctifano said:

I was thinking about shooting a giraffe and gutting it anyway, so yeah, I'd do that. Either there's a giraffe inside or a man, but either way, no harm, no foul, unless there's a duck inside, and then yeah, fowl.

Being in the field of biology. Not only can I prove it, I have handled multiple specimen including a 13 month old fetus. Plus I have handled and petted the real thing, including letting it eat a carrot that I was holding in my teeth.

fuctifano said:
If someone asked you to prove that giraffes actually exist, how would you go about doing it?

i'd use the words we use to describe things [and their qualities].
of course, much as with any 'proveness', it's all subjective; even Science is, for the most part, only what somebody else says was seen (hearsay) and even where independently verified, that's just more of the same. so, 'proof' to one boils down to what to what the one has seen.

why would i then use words as proof? because, whether it's flesh or fantasy, words describe both and do so as if they exist or have been seen.
'giraffe', for most people, is going to be akin to any of the mythical or scientific creatures as most are not seen to be; we're merely told they be. but, taking just the word, giraffe, we have a story of a creature which goes back hundreds or thousands of years and ties in with other stories of our past. and given that a giraffe is something which most people, even nowadays, have never seen, it's also worth noting the other ways giraffes have been described:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=giraffe

while history and language, and all the people therein, attest to such a creature in a far-off land, far-off lands are no different to far-off seas and times, of which we see only shapes in the distance (eg. dinosaurs and krakens); and certainly, no different from the mysterious and unseen 'god particle'.

so, while we take a pinch of salt with many tales, the skepticism goes hand-in-hand with awe and wonder. and that reminds me of my growing-up, in the seventies and eighties, when, owing to the legacy of WW2, most of our books on history and nature were either directly from, or developed from, books and information from the days of empire (victorian, edwardian eras) and had illustrations rather than photos. i guess it wasn't so different in the US, but with the vastness and isolation, rather than poverty, imbuing an ignorance-cum-innocence which, on either side of the pond, allowed the fantasies of the first half of the twentieth century to continue upto quite recently in the shape of films/series like Johnny Wiessmuller's Tarzan and Buster Crabbe's Flash Gordon.

as a bit of a hilldweller, i'm still in awe of the sea and it's vastness and sometime flatness (i'm the same with the flatlands of the south) when i get to see it. would i believe it had i not seen? :chin: well, there are plenty of people who've never seen the sea, even today and even on our little island where nowhere is further than seventy-something miles from it.
it was a shocking revelation to the middle-classes of sometime ago, but also that many working-class children in major cities had never seen the countryside nor breathed fresh air and likely never would. that revelation was part and parcel of the spawning of the social revolution in Britain, to give children and their parents holidays. similarly, today, there are many inner-city children who're unaware of anything beyond their immediate habitat. in such a bleak state and with such a bleak outlook, anything beyond can often be met not with a question, but the statement of 'who cares!'

be it a camelopard, ship of the desert, terrible lizard or a massive puddle, words should be enough to toss the coin of belief.

Reactions: fuctifano
BoundCoder said:
Are you stoned?

No. I get drug tested in my job.

Would be nice though, wee spliffarino.

egor said:
Being in the field of biology. Not only can I prove it, I have handled multiple specimen including a 13 month old fetus. Plus I have handled and petted the real thing, including letting it eat a carrot that I was holding in my teeth.

Way cool egor. I actually think they are an amazing animal and I would never want to harm one. There was posted on social media, some woman who was so proud of herself because she shot and killed a giraffe in Africa. I thought it was sad and disgusting.

AEsahaettr said:
That's one really functional fetus.

It is hard to believe that they have a 15 month gestation. IT was unfortunate because someone through a cigar into the hay in the enclosure and it caused a spontaneous abortion after mom ate it.

AEsahaettr said:
Are you saying what if all the giraffes that I've seen have just been men in really convincing suits? Or are you saying that after I bring you to the zoo this is what you'll ask me? If the former, kudos to them. If the latter, I'm going to assume that you're either a nincompoop or pedant (if not both) and stop wasting time playing chess with a pigeon.

- - - Updated - - -

That's one really functional fetus.

What is the definition of a nincompoop?

*walks up with a giraffe on a leash* HOWS THIS FOR PROOF!!???

kingdomkeeper said:
*walks up with a giraffe on a leash* HOWS THIS FOR PROOF!!???

Are you strong enough to take a giraffe for a walk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back