Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you prove that giraffes actually exist?

Default Can you prove that giraffes actually exist?

If someone asked you to prove that giraffes actually exist, how would you go about doing it?

Photographs and videos are not proof.

They're at our local zoo. Whoever has the question can go knock themselves out.

Meh, any pedantic discussion about the existence of anything comes down to the definition of the thing being argued. First you have to define what a giraffe is in a way both parties agree to, then you provide appropriate proof to satisfy that definition.

Practically speaking, this is academic naval gazing nonsense. We've all seen pictures and videos (which are perfectly valid proof) of what the common person thinks of as a giraffe.

What if all the giraffes that you've seen have just been men in really convincing suits?

MarchinBunny

Quote Originally Posted by fuctifano View Post
    What if all the giraffes that you've seen have just been men in really convincing suits?
    My mind would be blown and I would be questioning the entire world. XD
    Obviously that is something that will never occur because of how silly it is.

Did you know that baby Giraffes can walk right after they're born?

Are you stoned?

And in all honesty, while it would be an interesting bit of trivia, giraffes turning out to be an elaborate hoax wouldn't really have a big impact on my life.

One of the realities of science and life in general is we can't personally verify everything that we rely on to make decisions. We have to trust that commonly circulated information is accurate by virtue of group consensus.

I was thinking about shooting a giraffe and gutting it anyway, so yeah, I'd do that. Either there's a giraffe inside or a man, but either way, no harm, no foul, unless there's a duck inside, and then yeah, fowl.

Being in the field of biology. Not only can I prove it, I have handled multiple specimen including a 13 month old fetus. Plus I have handled and petted the real thing, including letting it eat a carrot that I was holding in my teeth.