Modern Cloth Diapers Stuffing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalMann

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
For the longest time I've been wanting to get some type of modern cloth diapers, but to me, they look rather thin. I've seen multiple brands out there, but I'm not sure how much material can be stuffed into it. Every website that I come across has very minimal details. The one detail that is missing from all of them is crotch width.

The pocket diapers I've seen out there come with what seems to be thin and narrow pads. What I was wondering is if these can fit adult prefolds, folded up towels, or something thicker than the pads that it comes with.

Does anyone use these and stuff their modern cloth diapers to make them really thick? What have you been able to stuff it? What do you use to stuff it with?

Can people post the crotch width of some of their modern cloth diapers that they own as well please? If possible, pictures please?

Last edited:
Bump

Have you considered training pants? babypants.com's "my first training pants" are nice and convenient.

I've considered them before, I'm more of a diaper type of guy. I prefer the snugness.

I use Snap-EZ's adult-sized pocket diaper with their microfiber insert. I have no interest in the company other than being a user of their products over the years.

Most pocket diapers are a stretchy shell that incorporates some sort of absorbent pad. In the case of the Snap-EZ product, there's a stretchy 'pocket' that runs from waistband to waistband and is wide enough to slip your hand and an insert all the way down (or 'up') into the diaper to position it correctly. The main benefit of this style of diaper is that it lacks the bulk of an AIO or an adult prefold and plastic pants.

The hard part - for me, anyway - is prepping the inserts. You have to boil them for several minutes to release the oils that are in the cloth. Once 'stripped,' the microfiber is very absorbent. I have experimented with a toddler prefold, ordinary Gerber prefold diapers, and other microfiber cloths and I think the inserts Snap-EZ sells are still the best way to go.

Making adult cloth diapers overly thick means they will sag. For me, the sag is pronounced enough and uncomfortable enough that I tend to stick with single inserts rather than several at a time. The Snap-EZ inserts are folded into thirds lengthwise, so there's actually quite a lot of surface area to absorb, but they won't hold more than one flooding or more than three or so substantial wettings.

I have had years of experience with adult-sized cloth prefold diapers from a variety of manufacturers. Edley was probably the best, but they've been gone for years now. Although prefolds are very babyish, especially because you need plastic pants over them, they aren't inconspicuous. I always wind up coming back to the adult pocket diapers which I can - and have - wear outdoors when my nanny takes me shopping or out to eat.

I've also had several pair of training pants from various manufacturers, including Baby-Pants and Nikky. I liked the Nikky bedwetter pants the best (discontinued long ago in adult sizes) because they had the built-in waterproof covering. The Baby-Pants training pants (both styles) are fine if you don't intend to wet, or if you only dribble from time to time. Wearing plastic pants over them sort of defeats the purpose; I'd rather just wear a diaper.

I wear Angelfluff cloth countours (U 3) i had them made with a 10.5 inch crotch and have used 4 full lehth boosters when needed, i also have some Babykins also with 10.5 inch crotches, with iins though for 5 bucks extra i was able to have triple boosters built in ( though when Jenny boosts she does not just do the crotch she does the entire diaper, so the absorbacy increase is huge and very much worth the upcharge, with a still pretty svelte design. I am not a fan of poket or AIO's they are thinner but overall a waste of money, because the outer wears out long before the diaper innarc itself.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

You might just ask Snap-EZ and Dependeco (and others) to tell you or to post the crotch widths of their pocket diapers and diaper covers. I've wondered about this also. Your choice of prefold will influence your chances of success, too. You may want to look at the youth or small sizes, or otherwise at something slightly shorter than your rise measurement. When you're already having to tri-fold the diaper to insert it into the pocket, you really don't want any extra length, as folding that inward is going to create a big, uncomfortable bulge--in front or in back.

I usually wear a medium Changing Times prefold, but based on the Snap-EZ sizing, I'd be inclined toward the youth size for stuffing. And, actually, I have a few of the youth diapers for doubling my mediums. They're awesome for that, too.

Would I be better off sticking with my prefolds?

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
Would I be better off sticking with my prefolds?

Not if it makes you sad. :)

There are a few users who've indicated in the past that they like to use prefolds with pocket diapers. Tygon is one, I know. There's no reason it won't work, but you may find yourself wanting a different size of prefold. It's why makers of baby prefolds have started offering shorter sizes that are specifically meant for PUL covers (pocket or non-pocket), such as the OsoCozy "Better Fit" line. Thankfully, unlikely adult disposables, adult prefolds are available in a bunch of sizes, so picking one that fits a cover should be no big deal. Although it would be great to know the crotch width of, for instance, the Snap-EZ pockets, I doubt you'd have trouble putting a tri-folded prefold in there.

In addition to disposables I've been using pocket diapers as well, I'll see if I can provide more information later this day.

However, I must say thickness is not really something I care about, I did when I didn't had access to diapers, but after that I realized it was over-realistic for diapers to be very thick. Instead I value the characteristics that make it feel like a real modern baby diaper that fits me.

Enviado do meu C1905 através de Tapatalk

I just don't think those small strips of cloth would absorb much. I have two of them left over from a Fuubuu cloth diaper that was terrible. I usually stuff my adult prefolds with Gerber prefolds. I just wanted to get a modern cloth diaper with designs and be able to have a decent amount of capacity and thickness to give me a waddle.

I've been using the type of pocket diapers that is for sale in several different places, I've got mine mostly from Big Tots store on ebay and also some from Teenadultdiapers.com. Crotch width is 20cm (around 8 inches). It is possible to stuff several inserts but I think after 3 it would make it difficult to walk or be comfortable.

Here's picture of my collection, there's one missing though:
2015-12-24 01.06.10 2.jpg

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
I just don't think those small strips of cloth would absorb much. I have two of them left over from a Fuubuu cloth diaper that was terrible. I usually stuff my adult prefolds with Gerber prefolds. I just wanted to get a modern cloth diaper with designs and be able to have a decent amount of capacity and thickness to give me a waddle.

You can use the Dependeco AIO. I measured my Dependeco boosters and they are 21" x 7". I use just one booster at a time and it"s plenty of thickness for me.
A booster is approximately a quarter of an inch thick. I have worn that combo for overnight and it worked for me.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:

I have no idea what you received with the Fuubuu diaper, but I can assure you that the Snap-EZ soakers aren't 'small strips of cloth.' Mine are 26 inches long, 14 inches wide, and the only thing I've found that absorbs more is an extremely thick microfiber towel.

oleman72 said:
You can use the Dependeco AIO. I measured my Dependeco boosters and they are 21" x 7". I use just one booster at a time and it"s plenty of thickness for me.
A booster is approximately a quarter of an inch thick. I have worn that combo for overnight and it worked for me.
How wide in the crotch are the diapers themselves?

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
How wide in the crotch are the diapers themselves?

My size large are 9" wide through the crotch. They're 28" long and approximately 3/8" thick with the
sewn in soaker pad which is the same size as the booster pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back