Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: IMPORTANT - Critical PDF Vulnerability

  1. #1
    Error404

    Default IMPORTANT - Critical PDF Vulnerability

    Highly Critical PDF Vulnerability - A patch is not yet available - Softpedia

    As of current, anyone who frequently uses Adobe Acrobat Reader to read and load PDFs should be on high alert.

    A major vulnerability has been discovered that allows malicious code to be used via a PDF file, this code can do most anything from installing a keylogger to taking over your system. Despite what some website say, disabling Javascript will NOT protect you against the vulnerability.

    A patch is due in two weeks or so but as of right now, this is a method being used by all the most educated hackers (And some script kiddies!) so, if you're the sort that googles for information, be sure to check the end of the link for the .PDF extension. If it's a site you don't recognise then just don't click it!

    All the best and here's to not being compromised!

    I'll be frequently bumping this, and would appreciate it being stickied until the issue is resolved.

    Thanks for your time and stay safe!

    E404~<3

  2. #2

    Default

    On my window machines I tend to use Foxit Reader. And Excuse my ignorance when I say I don't know what is being used on Ubuntu as "Document Reader". I never looked into it.

    But I've always been cautious of PDF files and grab them from known sauces. Mostly Uni published works.

    Did they publish a new version yesterday? So wouldn't it be that version that is vulnerable. Not Older ones? I could look more into it. But I haven't got much time for that I'm afraid.

  3. #3

    Default

    I picked this up on slashdot a while ago; it seems like maybe Friday or Saturday.

    Long story short (and this makes Adobe look BAD):
    1. Adobe knows. Won't release a patch for it until April (I think it was).
    2. Some random Internet guy makes work-around patch and posts it.
    3. Adobe response seems to be: *blink* "Meh." *shrug*


    I'll attach the story as a PDF if you'd like...

  4. #4
    Error404

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    I picked this up on slashdot a while ago; it seems like maybe Friday or Saturday.

    Long story short (and this makes Adobe look BAD):
    1. Adobe knows. Won't release a patch for it until April (I think it was).
    2. Some random Internet guy makes work-around patch and posts it.
    3. Adobe response seems to be: *blink* "Meh." *shrug*


    I'll attach the story as a PDF if you'd like...
    Yeah, Adobe has lost all my respect.

    The third party patch is only for version...7 though, I think it was.

  5. #5
    Darkfinn

    Default

    Umm... you guys do know that this particular article is dated JANUARY 2007.

    A bit old... don't you think?

    Let's not go around spreading unnecessary panic.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    Umm... you guys do know that this particular article is dated JANUARY 2007.

    A bit old... don't you think?

    Let's not go around spreading unnecessary panic.
    Why's it a sticky?

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    Umm... you guys do know that this particular article is dated JANUARY 2007.

    A bit old... don't you think?

    Let's not go around spreading unnecessary panic.
    There actually is a vulnerability thing going on right now. He probaby just accidentally posted a link from an old attack and didn't notice when he was looking for a good link to post. Here's a link to one dated Feb 20, 2009:

    Adobe Warns Of Critical Vulnerability In Acrobat, Reader

    According to that article Adobe plans to release a patch by March 11th.

  8. #8
    Error404

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    There actually is a vulnerability thing going on right now. He probaby just accidentally posted a link from an old attack and didn't notice when he was looking for a good link to post. Here's a link to one dated Feb 20, 2009:

    Adobe Warns Of Critical Vulnerability In Acrobat, Reader

    According to that article Adobe plans to release a patch by March 11th.
    My bad.

    Though the article pretty much does address the same thing, strangely enough.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
    My bad.

    Though the article pretty much does address the same thing, strangely enough.
    I was going to comment it, but this isn't the first time. But I despise PDFs anyway. So I couldn't care anyhoo, unless I wanted to be mean. But I don't have any real motives to do so. :P

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by UnMarth View Post
    But I despise PDFs anyway. So I couldn't care anyhoo, unless I wanted to be mean.
    It's going to be difficult to get away from PDFs. "Pixel-Perfect" publication is VERY important, especially when you an guarantee this across platforms.

    What alternative for this have you found[1]? If none ... then we're locked into PDFs, like 'em or not.

    [1]TeX and LaTeX aside.

Similar Threads

  1. Important safety message.
    By Valentine in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2008, 10:31
  2. Short, important question about pharmacies.
    By Baxter Whittenburg in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 24-Feb-2008, 04:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.