Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We Return!

Default We Return!

A lot has happened recently, and I apologize for the downtime.

As you may know, a datacentre technician mistakenly reformatted and overwrote the hard drive for the server which was hosting TBDL.
    I have had several ISP technicians hard at work trying to recover the data, or indeed, anything, from the drive.
    However, it looks like the hard drive was completely hosed, and absolutely nothing can be recovered, either of our site here,
    or of any other data hosted on the server (such as all my other programming work for the last 3 years!).

I have made them send the drive to a data recovery expert, in the hopes that he can recover what they have failed to recover.

While we wait for the data recovery expert to tell us what can/cannot be saved, I have created this temporary forum.

Currently, registration here is disabled.
    However, in a few hours I hope to open this temporary forum, so you can all register here and continue chatting as before.

I just want to make sure this server/setup is really *stable*, and there are no serious bugs, before I go about unleashing you all on it

If the data recovery guy manages to salvage the old TBDL database, then I will go back to using that forum at this new URL.

If on the other hand, the database cannot be recovered, this will become the new permanent forum.

If this does become the new permanent forum, I will update it to have the same features as the old one did.

Don't worry, TBDL/ADISC is not going to die. As I said earlier... "we can rebuild him... we have the technology".

So, in summary:
    * In a few hours from now, this will be upgraded to a proper forum that we can use while the main site is down.
    * If the data recovery guy can recover the old database from the old site, then this forum will be replaced with that one, so we can all keep our posts/settings/etc.
    * If the data can't be recovered, this will become the foundation of the new site.
    * I expect to find out about the data recovery in a week or two. In the meantime this temp forum will be given basic upgrades so that, starting in a few hours, it is usable as a temp forum.

I have completed the basic setup and registration is now enabled.
    Many of the features you are used to will be missing, at least for a short time while I get them installed.

However, the TB/AB/DL/story/greetings/etc forums are up and ready for use

Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    I have completed the basic setup and registration is now enabled.
    Many of the features you are used to will be missing, at least for a short time while I get them installed.

However, the TB/AB/DL/story/greetings/etc forums are up and ready for use
    That was fast

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Christhefur View Post
    That was fast
    He's the fastest cow in the universe

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    He's the fastest cow in the universe

Peachy
    He must be able to fly! :p

Erm... After I activated with my Email and logged in. In the top right it says the usualy. Welcome you have no PMs etc... Yet, In the main centre area it stated that I used 1 of 5 incorrect login attempts :S. So I logged in sucesfully be incorectly logging in! (will post screen shot later tomorrow, gotta uplod, convert 'n' shizzle. Got very little time to do it tonight)

But anyway, Nice to see the comunity sticking together. We'll get through this together!

Lots of fixes have been done:
    (1) We now have most of our old forums back.
    (2) "Junior Member" has been removed from postbits.
    (3) The forum no longer requires email confirmation to sign up, and everyone already waiting for email confirmation has been approved. This is because the emails were not getting through to Yahoo/etc within the expected time of a few minutes.

But will we get all of our rep count back? 'Cause, I'm pretty sure I had some in the vicinity of 1000-2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Lurker View Post
    But will we get all of our rep count back? 'Cause, I'm pretty sure I had some in the vicinity of 1000-2000.
    Yays, all hail the mighty Moo!!! And yea, I hope the rep comes back too, I just got to VIP status :p