Cloth Nappies

Status
Not open for further replies.

BracedDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hi all,
Perusing the web looking for PUL pants I had a thought that I'd like to try cloth nappies. I was wondering which are the best types or is it personal preference?

Pin-on
Velco
Pull up
Prefold
Other

Hey Justo. Yeah you should give it a go. It's definitely a different feel. I personally prefer a pin on cloth than a pull on...I think it's because of the snug fit. But I haven't really tried the AIO types they do look kinda nice. I think your right though it's always personal preference...what feels right I guess.

Hi, Justo. Being a child of the '60s, I've always had an affinity for cloth diapers. They're completely impractical and kind of a pain to use and wash, but that hasn't stopped me from amassing a pretty good collection of them, and using them when I can.

Pin-on--I could never get the hang of these. I have a couple and they never stay up. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but they just don't seem to work on my body.
Velco--I never trusted these, since I know that Velcro eventually loses some of its staying power and you have to be really careful that they don't stick to things they're not supposed to.
Pull up--Bingo! These are my favs. I have several of these, but the one I want next comes from fetware.com/driwear.com. They have a nighttime version that I'm just itching to try.
Prefold--Got a couple of these too, but if you're going to go cloth, why sacrifice bulk between your legs where you'll need and enjoy it most?
Other--Ozbub (above) mentioned all-in-one diapers, and I have a few of these too. Not one of them is any good. Since the waterproof pant is attached to the diaper, leaks are inevitable, and the cover will never last as long as the diaper. Not a fan.

My $0.10 (inflation)

-RMS

Although I was a 90's baby and grew up wearing and loving disposable diapers like Pampers, Huggies, and Luvs, I have done a lot of experimenting with my Fetish. Mostly because the internet was dominated with Cloth diaper lovers in the beginning (at least that's how I perceived it), I grew my own interest for them. I've tried all of the options that you listed, and the only type I personally wouldn't recommend would be the Pull-up cloth diapers. For me, they were harder to clean, upkeep, dry, and I also didn't like the aesthetic as much.

I still love plastic-backed disposable adult diapers the most, but I'll alway have a soft spot for cloth diapers.

Might I add, It has been interesting watching the cloth diaper majority shift to disposable diapers as the younger waves of diaper lovers and adult babies grow up. Methinks the babies of today may not mind the cloth-backing, as they're first time in diapers were with the new models of Pampers and Huggies.

I prefer cloth although yes it is a massive pain to wash and dry every time I believe nothing beats it for night time.

I would avoid Velcro, it's really annoying after the first few washes and loses its grip. Pin on prefolds or contours would be the best option, if going for an all in one get ones with snaps. And don't forget plastic pants!

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

I'm a '50s baby, so I was in cloth diapers when a baby. I like using flat diapers. I fold a couple in thirds for the center panel. Can add more if I want more padding. I find the flats easy to wash and dry faster than pre-folds.

I too wear cloth diapers. I find that pre-folds are easy to use. You just pin one corner to the other, one on each side. I pin the left first. Then I pull the right side together tightly and pin them.

I too Use cloth.

Pin on, pre-fold cotton gauze feel like and look like the real deal. Birds eye cotton are a lot thicker, and cotton twill is not much different.

The thing is to learn how to pin them correctly and once the technique is learned they stay snugger longer.

The folding is entirely a personal preference.

There is sites that can be googled for the different pinning methods and fold types..

Justo said:
Hi all,
Perusing the web looking for PUL pants I had a thought that I'd like to try cloth nappies. I was wondering which are the best types or is it personal preference?

Pin-on
Velco
Pull up
Prefold
Other

I wear prefolds. And, for me, most of that is a fetish thing. I was put in cloth as a baby, and grew up with easy access to prefolds and pins, so I developed a strong attachment to them early on. Whereas pinning is considered a drawback by some, I've found that I enjoy the process of diapering myself and don't mind the pinning at all. Like so many aspects of diaper-wearing, you practice, and pretty soon it's no biggie.

I believe I wore cloth with the occasional disposable as a baby but since I don't have memories of that it doesn't influence my preferences. I tend to prefer to wear what I would wear if I had been born 2 years ago instead, meaning I'm not driven by specific nostalgia, instead I like to be like a toddler now.

I've been getting into cloth diapers recently, but in keeping with what I mentioned before I prefer pocket diapers. I'm starting to have a really nice collection, it makes me feel so cute and little, I like my pocket diapers very much.

Enviado do meu C1905 através de Tapatalk

Go for the dependeco aio. So so so great. It worth the price and the velcro works perfectly wash after wash.

I dont live alone so washing cloth is super hard. i have picked up one of Dependco's AIO's though and with a secondary stuffer they are awesome. the velcro hasnt weakened even a little bit since i bought it 9 months ago. super awesome for around 35 bucks.

i recently got a velcro one and i personally love it. it feels great and i don't have to spend so much money every time i want to order disposables. for a non-constant wearer like me cloth is perfect

terry-towelling (as in towels) is best. they're also cheaper and more convenient when bought as towels, bearing in mind that you ideally need towels above 650gsm (grammes per metre).
depending on your size, a bath-towel or bath-sheet folded in half will provide for all your needs.

for fastening, i've ditched pins in favour of mini-bungees. they tend to come in multi-packs, so you have various options for afixing. best to sharpen the ends of the hooks and also bend them over (more hookedly) to ensure no skin snags (i've never had one). i just put one across my waist, so that the front part is merely tucked under and also overlaid by the wrapped around rear part.

a nappy-liner is also advisable. these can bought as 'frost protection fleece' from gardening shops/suppliers or your local superstore. wash before use, to soften them; and doubling the liner gives a silky smooth feel as you walk.

all-in cost should be less than £15/$30AUS, or much less if you just an old towel that your mum won't miss.

Which site would be cheapest?
Anything online in US is $30+ shipping cost to Australia

I like the flat pin-on cloth diapers best. Pins can be adjusted for the amunt of tightness that you need and I haven't had any problems with pins coming open or breaking. The diaper can be folded so it suits your needs, doubled up for overnight, or folded differently for daytime. Velcro usually wears out way before the diaper so I end up using pins anyway. I have found that the PUL pants tend to leak so I usually wear vinyl pull-on plastic pants at night or if I think I will not be able to change for a long period of time. If I am not going to be at home for several days, I will use disposables because they are convenient. Pull up diapers are not convenient to change except maybe at night and sometimes they don't contain messy accidents very well.

I have Angelfluff U 3's that I adore they are velcro the way I ordered them but they have a protection for washing to keep them from grabbing and to keep your velcro nice, I also have some Babykins from Canada that are awesome, and Jenny at kins will pay the shipping and customs on larger orders so if you order some dispers,onesies,pants,booties you may get great products well saving some money on the shipping she will also give 5 dollars off each onesie or diaper etc if you order 15 or more in quantity of an item,so you could get together with some other buddies from down under and get a bigger order together and everybody saves some dough.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

This post may be a bit late for this tread but I can't resist talking about my love for cloth diapers! My favorite are cotton twill prefolds from Changing Times Diaper Co. I also have a gauze prefold from Baby-Pants that I like very much. Like others here, my preferences have been shaped by what I wore as a baby.

Zendot said:
I've been getting into cloth diapers recently, but in keeping with what I mentioned before I prefer pocket diapers. I'm starting to have a really nice collection, it makes me feel so cute and little, I like my pocket diapers very much.

Enviado do meu C1905 através de Tapatalk
What are Pocket diapers?

Hmm Cloth I've never tried it but I wouldn't mind it but would probably need help putting one on ( have Dexterity issues so pins just give me the chills). Plus disposable are more convenient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back