Not open for further replies.

Milko

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Carer
What's the oldest computer any of you guys own? My oldest desktop is a 1983 model Commodore 64:
IMG_2732.JPG
And my oldest laptop is a 1991 Apple Macintosh PowerBook 160:
IMG_2733.JPG
Kind of thickness comparison to a 4th Generation iPod Touch. (I don't have any real modern laptops to compare it with):
IMG_2734.JPG
Post pictures of your oldest computer! :cool:

Well I don't have pictures but I can give you the specs of the oldest machine I have that runs, it was custom built back in the day.

Windows 95 OS
Pentium Processor at 300 Mhz
500 MB of ram across 4 ram sticks.
5 GB Hdd
16 MB graphics card (Sorry I dunno any model info or anything on it, I just know its a card with 16 MB of memory on it lol, honestly I don't even think it's really a graphics card. . . idk. Lol)
It also has several other pci port type devices plugged into it that I can't identify, one I believe is a network card and the other has a printer/fax machine port on it that I can't identify.

Edit*: While I know the machine itself runs, I don't have any monitors that are compatible with it lol, so I can't power it up to verify any model information or anything. I have older machines but same story, no monitors that work with them, they all power up, but I don't know if they run properly or not. If you count ones that don't run I have an old machine with windows 1.0 installed on it lol.

Haha nice I tried using Windows 1.0 on one of my older DOS machines. it didn't recognise the HDD so I had to run it off the floppy disk.. Ugh it was REALLY slow and I couldn't save anything over like 10KB.. Ah how times have changed :smile1:

My trusty Toshiba Satellite, I still use it nearly every day for writing stories and keeping graphs, it's truly an amazing machine that is more than capable of the best word processing.
(Oh, and here's the specs):
Microsoft Windows 98
Intel Pentium III at 233mhz
32 MegaByte EDO RAM
2.1 Billion Byte Hard Disk Drive
20X(Max) CD ROM Disk Drive
All-In-One CD-ROM, Diskette, and Hard Drive
12.1" Color Bright Dual Scan Display
Xircom K56flex PC Card Modem

IBM stink pad 1g with xp on I use for my Chinese clone Ford IDS module and software

Ah, Toshiba Satellites:biggrin:. My very first computer I owned myself was a Satellite A70 or something. It has since broken a bit (screen is dying, HDD is slow and possible dying, battery is long gone, needs to be cleaned, one of the RAM sticks died). Yeah, it's been through the wars a bit..

The specs are something like:
Windows XP Home Edition
Pentium 4 3.2GHz
50GB TravelStar HDD
512MB RAM
DVD Drive (oh yeah, that's broken too)
15" Screen
IMG_2739.JPGIMG_2740.JPG

Not quite as old as yours but yeah.. I really miss using it :(

I don't tend to keep old computers though now that I switched from desktop to laptop I probably will hold onto this laptop until it dies because it's portable and does not take up a lot of room like my previous desktops would have.

Well, I have an Atari 2600 from 1977, but if that doesn't count then my oldest computer would be the Tandy TRS-80 model 102 that my dad bought in 1986. It still works, however because the primary storage was battery-backed memory, and the battery has died several times over the years, the computer no longer has any of my old files on it. I do have printouts of several of the BASIC programs I wrote for it when I was a kid, though, so perhaps I'll re-enter one of those some day.

Funny anecdote: As I was pounding away furiously on the old 102's keyboard one day--sometime in the late 80's--the space bar literally flew off! One of the little plastic clasps underneath it had finally pooped out. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I ended up tying the space bar back on with some kite string--which actually worked. :)

EDIT:

Milko said:
And my oldest laptop is a 1991 Apple Macintosh PowerBook 160:
View attachment 23917

This brings back memories. I got a PowerBook 180--the grayscale version, not the "c"--just as I was heading off to college in the fall of 1994. When I later bought a Quadra 605, I sold the PB180 to my dad to help with my expenses. I believe he still has it, but I don't know what kind of shape it's in.

Last edited:
my oldest computer that i had was win 98 but the oldest one i own now is my win xp..... sadly it died officially today

Cottontail said:
Well, I have an Atari 2600 from 1977, but if that doesn't count then my oldest computer would be the Tandy TRS-80 model 102 that my dad bought in 1986. It still works, however because the primary storage was battery-backed memory, and the battery has died several times over the years, the computer no longer has any of my old files on it. I do have printouts of several of the BASIC programs I wrote for it when I was a kid, though, so perhaps I'll re-enter one of those some day.

Funny anecdote: As I was pounding away furiously on the old 102's keyboard one day--sometime in the late 80's--the space bar literally flew off! One of the little plastic clasps underneath it had finally pooped out. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I ended up tying the space bar back on with some kite string--which actually worked. :)

EDIT:

This brings back memories. I got a PowerBook 180--the grayscale version, not the "c"--just as I was heading off to college in the fall of 1994. When I later bought a Quadra 605, I sold the PB180 to my dad to help with my expenses. I believe he still has it, but I don't know what kind of shape it's in.

Quadra, I haven't heard that word in at least a decade. Personally I've always been an apple user for web browsing and in depth stuff, but never for writing. My first mac was a Power Macintosh 6500/225 that my uncle won in a raffle when I was 5ish, he already had a mac so he gave it to us, Then as time went on I got both generations of iMac (G3 and G4). Over the years I have somehow managed to never lose any of these machines, although my power mac needs a new monitor and keyboard since my uncle needed those for his mac when we stopped using it.

Mine was a 2001 Micron Transport XP2 Laptop.
I upgraded the following on it over the years.
900Mhz P2 for a 1.2Ghz P2
20G HD for a 100G HD
516M 2x256 to 1Gig 2x516 ram
Hot Swappable CD for a CD-RW/DVD
Windows XP Pro
I only stopped using it a few months back because the P2 wasn't able to process SSE instructions.
It weighed close to 6 pounds and the battery life sucked, the battery was 13 years old. But you couldn't kill this thing LOL!

Xerox 820-II with 8 inch floppy disk drive

I've got a Dragon32 that still works (basically it's a UK knockoff of the TRS-80... though this one has been adapted to run on 120V). Every once in awhile I nostalgic and fire it up. I recently cleared out a bunch of my old computer gear (2x 486s, an old sparcstation with a whole bunch of assorted bits, and a few modern-ish towers).. but I'll never give up the dragon.. too much nostalgic value.

buddylee said:
Xerox 820-II with 8 inch floppy disk drive

If you are really in ownership of a Xerox 820 with dual disk drives, how did you come to own this thing?

I used to have an upgraded IBM PCjr, but my dad made me give it up during a move. We both regret it now.

My oldest now has a Pentium 4, windows xp, and some old Radeon video card. I keep it around for those few games that require Virtual Box to run on modern systems.

Mine is so old that it is coal fired and steam driven.

kitterdafoxy said:
If you are really in ownership of a Xerox 820 with dual disk drives, how did you come to own this thing?

My dad worked for xerox and bought it for my family back in the 80's. I used to love playing bouncing barney on it

buddylee said:
My dad worked for xerox and bought it for my family back in the 80's. I used to love playing bouncing barney on it

Does it still work and function correctly?

I am currently using a Hewlett Packard Pavilion Pentium 4, running an old version of windows xp. There are certain functions that it doesn't have, like chat history, so I can't go interactive and I can't play some of the online games. Mainly just use it for writing my poetry and emailing.

kitterdafoxy said:
Does it still work and function correctly?

Sure does I took very good care of it over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back