Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclectic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
When I finally went to a urologist about my frequency, urgency and incontinence about 15 years ago he told me I had an overactive bladder and I should keep a urination diary. I was a surprised to find out then that the definition of frequency in OAB means peeing more than 8 times in a day. What? You're kidding? For as long as I can remember I have always peed more than that. And that diary? I found my range was between 16 and 23 pees a day (not including bms, which I average between 3 and 4 a day).

The only thing that slows this down somewhat is dehydration. Dehydration is also a way for me to occasionally go undiapered at home and make it to the bathroom. And, I find myself usually dehydrated in the evening. Compounding this is I've had at least 8 bouts of kidney stones in the last 12 years. Anybody else with OAB struggle with dehydration? I don't feel I'm doing it on purpose to try to control my urge incontinence, but maybe I am subconsciously? Or, maybe it's just because I live in Florida, which is ridiculously hot and humid most of the year.

I've had a couple of bouts with very painfully passing kidney stones. My urologist has advised me that the best way to reduce the likelihood of passing stones in future is to make sure that I keep myself well hydrated. That of course means that I use more diapers. But dealing with an extra diaper or two a day is worth it if it prevents passing any more kidney stones.

The World Health Organization pretty much recommends everyone start off with (8) 8oz glasses of water per day, and add to that based on your weight. Their own recommendations also say we should be peeing clear or mostly clear with a tint of yellow.

So yeah, a LOT of people here are dehydrated. And based on some that say their pee smells bad or strong, it seems some here are severely dehydrated too.

In Denmark, the recommendation for fluid intake is as low as 48 oz a day. Above that is considered excessive intake and not needed, especially when you are dealing with OAB/ urge incontinence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxx said:
This is the real guideline. Any estimate of actual quantity is little more than a SWAG. There are too many variables, including ambient temp and humidity, activity levels, the individual's sweat rate, diet, size.....

LOL. You might be right about that. Look at the WHO guidelines. They have multiple papers on the subject, and each one is long in its own right.

They do go into great detail for what area of the world you're in, average temp, humidity, your weight, and so on. Although the color of your pee is so easy to see and understand it does make everything else a moot point.

Too yellow, then add more water. That's all you need to know.

Really vague advise just generally drink more water. It's fairly unlikely anyone will over hydrate. I have always been someone who doesn't hydrate enough. I'm also on ADHD meds which tend to dry me out. So the past few years I always have water with me. My diapers tend to be yellower when I wake up vs the rest of my diapers, but that's figured. Unless you really feel severely dehydrated you'll probably be ok.

I was just saying what medical professionals in Denmark says is enough, for persons dealing with an overactive bladder.. Should I go with that volume on a dayli basis I would dehydrate myself. Which is why I'm ignoring their "recommendations" I know my need better than they do!

Sendt fra min HUAWEI M2-801W med Tapatalk

I enjoy coffee and drink anywhere between three cups to five cups a day. But if I didn't like coffee or something like it, I think I'd have to remind myself, or keep a log so I'd drink enough fluids during the day. I just don't normally feel thirsty.

I agree that dehydration varies from person to person and place to place. The reality is once your pee is dark yellow and you have a headache, you are already dehydrated. In my case, I'm always trying to balance hydration with dehydration and often in the evening find myself bouncing between the two.

Maxx said:
This is the real guideline. Any estimate of actual quantity is little more than a SWAG. There are too many variables, including ambient temp and humidity, activity levels, the individual's sweat rate, diet, size.....

Yup -- I read that none of the "you should drink 2 litres of water a day" advice is based on any scientific basis; it just sounded about right.

Then there's the debate about whether caffeinated and alcoholic drinks "count" towards fluid intake. I've seen so many sources say that they definitely do, and just as many that say the opposite!

It's the same with fruit and vegetable consumption. In the UK, we're told to eat five portions a day. Apparently that number was picked as being the highest number that you could convince most people to think was an achievable target. So... nothing to do with health at all. Other countries seem to have plucked their own recommendations from the ether.

Anyway... I'm sure I often pee 8 times a day or so. I've never had any bladder problems. If you're living somewhere hot, exercising hard, or drinking a lot of beer, it wouldn't be that unusual for the average person to need to urinate that often. But that's probably fairly close to a reasonable "upper limit" for OAB.

Jeez. I remember a 3.5hr train journey once. The toilets were out of order at every station and on every train. I literally had my flies undone, ready to go when I got to my destination and the doors opened. I looked up, saw a CCTV camera pointing straight at me, but just couldn't hold on any longer.

It was in the news recently that a Paralympian was forced to wet herself on a train when she found herself in a similar situation. Absolutely ridiculous that this could happen in a modern country.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...strike-wet-herself-train-no-accessible-toilet

Spaz said:
Or, maybe it's just because I live in Florida, which is ridiculously hot and humid most of the year.
Florida is where I struggled with dehydration.

I am both IC as well as a large bladder that retains urine , it never drains completely so I have to cath , and notate the amount drained for my urologist , it keeps him happy that my bladder is shrinking and retaining as much , I don't really worry about my input but monitor my output , I don't weigh my diapers or anything drastic like that , the point of the day that I cath Is also a conventional change time unless I am super soaked between times and then I will change it more often, I started cathing when my average retained urine was 900, it has significantly reduced by cathing over the last 8 years down to around 250,but my doctor wants my bladder in the 50's .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

All I know is that, for me, if I don't drink a lot, I get dehydrated pretty easily, and that can mean anything up to and including passing out. And the best thing to drink is water, since not only does it refresh and hydrate but it also keeps my urine clear and odor-free. And​ it lessens the chance that urination will burn, for some reason. (Don't ask me.)

Jeremiah said:
Florida is where I struggled with dehydration.

I live in Florida too. I sometimes can get dehydrated, but usually just compensate by drinking more water. Most days I'm hydrated just fine, but like right now it seems I'm so well hydrated I have a fully-constant drip or small stream of pee. I've soaked three confidry diapers nearly to the point of leaking so far, and it's only 4pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back