How to fix a broken diaper tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felstormvortex

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hello. I'm Lorica. And here's a step-by-step on how to fix a broken diaper tab. Or even a tab that's lost it's stickum. I'm not a big fan of posting pictures of my groin on the web, nobody wants to see that, so my table will have to do for this tutorial.

STEP ONE: Don't panic.

It's not the end of the world. This can be remedied with our trusty sidekick: Duct Tape!

View attachment 22956

STEP TWO: Arm yourself for battle!

Cut yourself one 4 inch piece of tape, and one 8 inch piece of tape. Duct tape is best. Any tape of sufficient stickiness will suffice if duct tape is not available.

View attachment 22957

STEP THREE: Begin reconstruction.

Stick the first bit to the inside of the wing so two inches of stickum is facing out away from your body.

View attachment 22958

STEP FOUR: Continue reconstruction.

It should look like this from the outside looking in.

View attachment 22959

STEP FIVE: Finish emergency repairs.

Place the 8 inch piece of tape over the inner piece so the two sticky sides are stuck together and the broken tape tab is sandwiched in the middle between the two.

View attachment 22960

STEP SIX: Catastrophic Disaster expertly avoided!

Now just restick the tape over where you had it before the misfortunate malfunction!

View attachment 22961

Tada! Duct tape and science to the rescue!

With premium diapers being as pricey as they are, a broken tab should never be a reason to sacrifice a perfectly good diaper.

This seems like an already used idea, don't need pictures just to put duct tape on a broken tab.

Snivy said:
This seems like an already used idea, don't need pictures just to put duct tape on a broken tab.

Sure thing. Thanks for the feedback.

Although there are others here that may not have acquired our level of skill yet, so I thought a nice little tutorial might be nice for the newbies. Cheers!

Lorica said:
Sure thing. Thanks for the feedback.

Although there are others here that may not have acquired our level of skill yet, so I thought a nice little tutorial might be nice for the newbies. Cheers!

o_O I'm pretty sure everyone knows how to put duct tape on a diaper, it's kinda like you know how to eat with a fork rather than using a spoon.

Yup duct tape saved me a ton of diapers, especially since I use cheap brand from Wal-Mart (they are there only to catch leaks from GoodNites so the capacity and brand doesn't really matter there even the most basic adult diaper can at least catch a leak), their latest versions are horrible, I would say at least 1 on 4 of the diapers have a tape that break from the fabric, guess they changed their design to cheaper materials. But I don't go that fancy, I simply use duct tape instead of the tab, quicker and a lot faster.

Snivy said:
o_O I'm pretty sure everyone knows how to put duct tape on a diaper, it's kinda like you know how to eat with a fork rather than using a spoon.
WAIT!! you mean the fork has a use!

ROFL jk

But yea I've used tape on quite a few diapers before.

computerProgrammer said:
WAIT!! you mean the fork has a use!

There is always use for forks in the world. :tongueout:

I agree that the taping thing is intuitive, but the strategic approach and the illustrations are still nice. My own preference -- on those mercifully rare occasions when it's been necessary -- has been for clear packing tape, as it doesn't spoil the appearance of the diaper quite as much. Putting duct tape on a diaper is sort of like sewing a plaid patch over a hole in your blue jeans. Although, if you like those particular accents, go for it. :)

Cottontail said:
I agree that the taping thing is intuitive, but the strategic approach and the illustrations are still nice. My own preference -- on those mercifully rare occasions when it's been necessary -- has been for clear packing tape, as it doesn't spoil the appearance of the diaper quite as much. Putting duct tape on a diaper is sort of like sewing a plaid patch over a hole in your blue jeans. Although, if you like those particular accents, go for it. :)

Agreed, but it's nearly impossible to take a good picture of clear packing tape. Typically I use white duct tape, but you can't tell which side is sticky.

Next time I'll use Hello Kitty duct tape... sound fair?

Lorica said:
Agreed, but it's nearly impossible to take a good picture of clear packing tape. Typically I use white duct tape, but you can't tell which side is sticky.

Next time I'll use Hello Kitty duct tape... sound fair?
Sure! I mean, in that case, you should just replace all the tabs. The end result will be a huge improvement. :)

I just bought a roll of Batman Duct Tape - looks pretty cool as diaper tabs

Seeing the (admittedly small) number of people who need help putting on a diaper at all, much less doing it right or the confusion when discussing methods for modifying baby diapers, I'm inclined to think that even what seems like really obvious things can occasionally benefit from some basic instruction.

Reactions: JR1
Trevor said:
Seeing the (admittedly small) number of people who need help putting on a diaper at all, much less doing it right or the confusion when discussing methods for modifying baby diapers, I'm inclined to think that even what seems like really obvious things can occasionally benefit from some basic instruction.

and your sure your not Cary Grant? I see your point, putting on a diaper is more harder for first timers rather than trying to fix a diaper tab if you can just slap a piece of tape on it. Putting it on, people might mess it up and become uncomfortable with it on.

Am I the only one who uses staples? Seemed like the obvious choice -- works just as well and won't take from the looks of your diaper at all. Duct tape kinda makes it look like ---- it's been duct taped lol.

Reactions: JR1
jeremyi said:
Am I the only one who uses staples? Seemed like the obvious choice -- works just as well and won't take from the looks of your diaper at all. Duct tape kinda makes it look like ---- it's been duct taped lol.

I did try that once and it was a disaster. Perhaps I did it wrong.

Stapler also seems bulky, as I can carry a small roll of duct tape in a film canister. But in a pinch, just about any workplace has the old Swingline stapler laying about, could be worth a go.

Care to describe your process for stapling a diaper on?

Well the only time I've ever stapled a diaper is when the tab actually started to detach from the base, not necessarily because the adhesive part gave out. What I did was staple through the base of the tab, 2 staples in the bottom tabs and 1 in each top tab. The bottom I placed the staples at 45-degree angles, making a sideways "V" shape so the gradual pull on the diaper won't rip through the staples.

They make staplers that are tiny and can fit in your pocket. I believe dollar stores and Walmarts have them.

jeremyi said:
Well the only time I've ever stapled a diaper is when the tab actually started to detach from the base, not necessarily because the adhesive part gave out. What I did was staple through the base of the tab, 2 staples in the bottom tabs and 1 in each top tab. The bottom I placed the staples at 45-degree angles, making a sideways "V" shape so the gradual pull on the diaper won't rip through the staples.

They make staplers that are tiny and can fit in your pocket. I believe dollar stores and Walmarts have them.

That's pretty handy to know. For some reason I had this vision of attempting to staple the entire wing down with one of those Uber staplers my teacher used in grade school.

I never thought about sandwiching two duct tape pieces together I.normally use just one piece. I normally use white duct tape from five below :)

People, they're disposable diapers. Why go through all that trouble to fix broken tapes? But if you really want to fix the tapes, I just suggest high grade packaging tape. Easy fix and not all work of cutting and stuff.

I appreciate this and honestly hadn't thought to fix a broken tab before thank you Lorica!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back