Crinklz review by Bambinod

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Crinklz review by Bambinod 5/19/2015

I got out to the post office on the way home to pick up some packages, and yay, one big box from Rearz, it's time to see some Crinklz!

The artwork we've seen is the same for medium and large, there's different art on all four sides of the bag, and even on the top, although there's a circled "L" on this bag, indicating size. The bag has built-in carrying handles on the top, that's a nice touch you don't see very often. I'm looking at the Large size, so there will be a little variation if you get the Mediums. The large come in bags of 10, 3 bags to a case. The bags are the typical size you see in most thick diapers, such as bambino, confidry, fabine, etc.

Opening the bag, the brilliant colors on the diapers almost jump out at you, they're very sharp, bright, and detailed. The diapers aren't jam-packed into the bag like you see on a lot of others, the first one takes a little pull but comes out without a fight. The outer shell is an average thickness stiffer plastic, very similar to the shell used on Bambino Teddy when they were experimenting with stretchy tapes. (it's somewhat similar to the shell on a Tena ATN) The manufacturer is listed as "Thrust Vector", I had no idea until now. These large weigh 7.4 ounces dry.

The shell has a very good feel to it. It doesn't feel hard - I'd say it rates about an 8 for softness. The padding being glued to the back provides good support. As you'd expect, the padding in the crotch is wide. It DOES stop just before the leak guards, then comes to the elastic leg gathers (4 strands of elastic) and another inch of just the shell. There were prior reports of the padding in the crotch being placed wrong and being outside the leak guards, but I didn't see that with mine.

Both the front and back end of the diaper have the "corrugated plastic" elastic. On these larges, the padding gets to within about two inches of the front and back edge, which is nice, because some diapers will give you 4-5 inches of "dead plastic" in the front or back. Most of what I'm seeing so far looks a LOT like bambino diaper design.

The print covers the entire shell of the diaper, front to back, left to right, and is staggered from one diaper to another, so they all look a little different. I had to take out four diapers to get a picture of the fox cub because he kept turning up in the crotch or under the elastic. This variety is a subtle feature you don't see in ANY other diaper.

There's a 1/4" wide light yellow wetness indicator that runs the center of the diaper, under the print. The print, combined with the light color of the strip, makes it very tricky to spot. According to the manufacturer, this strip is supposed to *disappear* when wet. I think you're going to need to check your little ones from time to time to really tell if they need a change.

On the front there is an additional taping panel that's been applied to the diaper to make it possible to adjust tapes. Unlike most others, this panel does NOT run all the way across the diaper, it's a little bit narrower and is easier to identify than on some other diapers. This panel has different print on it than the shell of the diaper. It's their mascott white tiger cub, sitting facing you, blankie in hand, with "Crinklz" in green print. *Unfortunately*, this panel is transparent, and tends to overlap with the print on the shell. Even the tiger is transparent in places, and it can get a bit difficult to visually sort out two different sets of overlapping images. The print on this panel is consistent though, it's in the same place on every diaper. I'd recommend they just flat out remove the print on the tape panel to improve the looks, but that's where their logo, mascott, and size (L) are, so I'm betting that's not going to happen. Their logo is in solid green, and usually shows up well, but the mascott with his white fur (which is actually transparent, being on a white diaper) is quite a mess to look at because you see whatever is under him instead of white. They'll need to at least fill in his fur with opaque white to straighten this out.

I'm going to see if I can remove the tape panel later and see how that goes. If I can get it to come off with a little hot air, and it doesn't leave sticky adhesive behind or damage the diaper, I think it'll look a LOT better from the front. But that'd be a lot of work to go through each time.

Flipping the Crinklz over, there's a blue rectangular area on the crotch inside the all-white interior. That's often referred to as a "surge zone" for enhanced wicking, front-to-back, but I can't help but wonder if that blue color is only put down for show. (if there's really anything different about that area of the padding or not?) The leak guards are well-attached and run front-to-back, folding down for the front and rear. (unlike say, the Confidry, where the leak guards can irritate your skin higher on your back) These guards have two strands of elastic. I've had problems with some brands popping their elastic loose and digging into my skin down there after awhile, I'll make a note here later if these have that issue.

The inner liner is very soft, again reminding me of a Bambino Teddy. The padding has a soft cotton feel to it, very comfortable and mostly flexible, with just a tad bit of stiffness to it that will probably disappear completely when worn. (just enough to hold its shape for now) There are a total of four tapes, two on each side. They're the single tab variety, with a blue pull on the end. They're almost TWO inches wide, wider than anything short of a Cushies, and about 1.5 inches long. The tapes are close to the top and bottom of the wings also, so fit should be much better than diapers that have their tapes close together, or have the lower tape practically in the middle of the wing. They don't have a very big root on the back, so I hope they don't pull off overnight.

The inside of the shell is lined with a breathable liner, which most diapers have. This works well to prevent the hips from smothering the skin and causing sweating, itching, and pimpling. Everything about this diaper says "This is going to be a very comfortable diaper to wear." The shell material isn't quite the sonic-boom I was thinking it might be. It's louder than average, but not as bad as an ATN. (this may change after it's been worn awhile)

The cut of the crotch goes diagonally out to the wings. Some diapers take almost a right angle out, it's a bit uncommon to see them go out at an angle, but I think that's going to be a good idea for a better fit. This large is 37" front-to-back, and the leg elastic snaps it back to about 28" when let go. (that's a pretty good spring) Stretched, it's 31" wide at the wings. I consider "optimal fit" where the ends of the tapes land on the leak guards, which are 8" apart. So optimal fit at the belt-line is 42", and the tapes will meet in the front at 34". It's difficult to judge max size because the lower tapes will run off the front wing a lot sooner than the uppers. I'd roughtly estimate 52" as the upper belt limit.

I'll get to work now on importing, preparing, and uploading the photos to a new album in my gallery, and will add another post here to inline them with comments if possible.

--- update added on the following morning:

Crinklz review followup

It's my first "morning after", and I just changed out of my first Crinklz, here's what I've learned in my first night.

I did have some initial problems with aiming the tapes. The only diapers I have that are marked for position are my daytime Totaldry Plus, and those I have down to a science. My other thicker diapers I normally base the tape position relative to where the padding ends or where the leak guards or leg elastic are. These have their "numbered paws" on the front tape panel to go by though, and for some reason I was a different number on the left as on the right for the lowers. This was even the case by morning. The uppers were on the same number, but the lowers were off by 1 position. Maybe my legs are a little different, I'll be looking into that more later.

Capacity is excellent. I still had four inches of dry padding in back by the time I got up, and I wasn't really expecting that. The padding did a great job of keeping my skin feeling dry, too. The Crinklz swells about as much as you'd expect for a higher capacity diaper, so rolling over onto my side started getting a little uncomfortable by early morning, due to thickness between my legs.

I'll look into removing the retape panel on my second test. Although these prints are absolutely wonderful to look at, I feel it's a bit of a waste to wear during the day where they're likely to "wear out" and not last as long, but that'll be a good test too, and will give me a chance to see if I can remove that front panel. Speaking of that, the panel feels almost identical to the shell of the diaper. This is in contrast to say the newer Bambino Teddy, where the tape panel is significantly harder/stiffer and can bother my wrists overnight. These diapers remained very comfortable throughout the night, the tape panel has a very good feel to it and allowed me to move a tape without popping later, and didn't look like it was going to rip up the panel in the process.

Once I got taped up, I realized they crinkle a lot louder than I was expecting. They sure live up to their name! These will be difficult to pull off with any stealth, they puff up a bit then you get your diaper on, and they are pretty loud. I was considering wearing to work today but I'll have to think that one over, we'll see how they fare around the house when I get home this evening.

The fit itself was pretty unique. The overall length and the front/back elastic gave them a very bambino-like fit, I would say they are the same "size grade", where the bambino tend to be about a half-size smaller than the average, I think these are too. The diagonal cutting of the wings made them fit differnet though. Many diapers give me that "compression shorts" feel because of the coverage on the sides that goes way down - these didn't do that at all and I think it's an improvement. My Confidry for example can end up with the lower tapes several inches farther down on my hips, and that tends to draw the front leak guards up and out of place. (I've had a front leak in a couple Confidry whilst on my back due to that) Crinklz do a good job of keeping the leak guards in place.

Even though I was pretty wet by morning, my diaper didn't sag too bad when I got up. I think that's due to the front and rear elastic. The wetness indicator, which had been very difficult to spot with the diaper still in my hands, had completely disappeared from sight. They should just get rid of that, it's not helping anyone. It was easier to look for the "water line" in the padding to tell how wet I was. (I'd bet most ABs would prefer to be checked anyway) There was no sign of the tapes starting to pull away from the rear wing, and they still had a really good grip on the front panel, including the one tape I had to move last night. But on the other hand, the tapes weren't really difficult to pull up either. Some diapers, the tapes are adjustable at night, but by morning it's like trying to rip open a tough retail box. These were firm, but still workable. And yes I agree with you, AitoKitsune, it's almost a shame to have to throw these out in the morning, it feels like I'm tossing my favorite poster in the trash can.

The inside edge of both leg cuffs was still dry by morning, so they seem to do a good job preventing leaks. The leak guards were still in good condition too, the elastic held and they didn't detach. I didn't see any smudging in the prints, and altough I didn't move around much, I didn't see any clumping, bunching, or padding migration. (the XP Medical A+ have issues there even overnight)

The gallery here has a bug in it, Moo is working on it now. For now I can't upload to the gallery, and no one can view gallery images. I've got the images ready to go when that's fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowfall, alfredanthony and YankeeFox
In regard to the whole overlapping design issue, I too find the front tape zone very "busy". I honestly think Thrust Vector had a different back sheet planned, but was unable to have it produced due the technology they had available. I would assume the plan was to have the tape zone area blank, so the tape panel wouldn't be interfering with the back sheet design. Who knows, Maybe they have alternating tape panels with a different cub on each diaper lined up for future plans? I honestly can't wait to see what the future holds for this company, I see real promise here!

In the meantime I'm sure you'll like these diapers, dang do they hold and absorb a LOT. I haven't had any problems with them at all, only positive things to say about them here! ...Besides the fact I can't help but feel a little guilty throwing them out >.>

Cheers

PS. I'm sure Thrust Vector would love to hear your feedback once you are have completed your review. I sent in a little testimony already via the Crinklz website, and they loved the feedback C:

AitoKitsune said:
In regard to the whole overlapping design issue, I too find the front tape zone very "busy". I honestly think Thrust Vector had a different back sheet planned, but was unable to have it produced due the technology they had available. I would assume the plan was to have the tape zone area blank, so the tape panel wouldn't be interfering with the back sheet design. Who knows, Maybe they have alternating tape panels with a different cub on each diaper lined up for future plans? I honestly can't wait to see what the future holds for this company, I see real promise here!

In the meantime I'm sure you'll like these diapers, dang do they hold and absorb a LOT. I haven't had any problems with them at all, only positive things to say about them here! ...Besides the fact I can't help but feel a little guilty throwing them out >.>

Cheers

PS. I'm sure Thrust Vector would love to hear your feedback once you are have completed your review. I sent in a little testimony already via the Crinklz website, and they loved the feedback C:

I checked out there website and it's amazing! very well put together. If I had the money for these diapers I would buy a case.

Hi Bambinod,Thanks for the very through review, I'm just wondering is the plastic backing the same as the Comficare that are on sale now? Is it just basically a Comficare with prints? As I feel the backing feels rough to the touch with the comficare , I'd love if it had the same feel as the Dry24/7 if you could let me know that would be great?

AitoKitsune said:

Cheers

They would have done better to just use the comficare tape panel as that's clear
P/S any one who take a medium and runs near the top end get large

The shell is an entirely different material. It's a slick, stiffer material, that feels soft and a bit slippery because of how thin it is. It's got a pretty high noise level to it too. (closest things would be a cushies or ATN with a thicker shell) Looks like moo's still working on the gallery issue. I'll post those pics as soon as it's back up. But for NOW I slipped into my second Cuddlz as soon as I got home, and it's niiiice. Will give this one more of a physical durability test this evening and see how the padding and tapes hold up to an active little mover ;) I'm not usually the cute/AB type, but there are some mirrors in my house and I tend to stop to admire my diapered condition whenever I pass one... just LOVE the look on these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back