Safety Blanket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhHeyThere

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hi all,
I have been thinking about how safety blankets, or other safety objects (teddy bears, stuffed animals, etc.), affect us.

For instance, I had about 5 or 6 of these thin, but soft cotton blankets that were all about 3x3 feet in dimension. They're a rather simple style of fabric, maybe it was just some of those blankies that hospitals give babies when they're born, but ever since I can remember, I've had them (kinda like my interest in wearing diapers. Hmmmm....)
Fast forward 22 years later, by constantly running them through my fingers and just overall wear and tear, I'm now down to a few pieces of fabric each about the size of a handkerchief. I still run them through my fingers when they're near me (I remind myself of Matthew Broderick's character from The Producers, but I don't carry them around with me).
As I normally sleep at my gf's house, they're not always around. I can sleep just fine without them, but I catch myself trying to find them when I'm in her bed.
I've never tried to look up or understand this sort of thing, but it does kind of get me thinking about what a safety blanket is. For me it's not really used as a way of regressing, at least in the literal sense. It maybe just reminds me of those moments I needed a little more comfort in my life to get me through a rough day. Well adult life is rough every day, so maybe that could be it :p

I'm rambling now, but if anyone has any insight on safety blankets or objects, I'd like to hear it. Also, for any of you that still have what you consider to be a safety blanket, what is it and why do you have it? Does in bring you comfort like it does to me, or is it used more primarily to help get into a regressed state of mind?
Hope everyone is having a swell summer so far!

I have my teddy bear Jeff. Most of the time he is sitting somewhere on the sidelines, just watching over me. Right now he is on top of the piano. The only time I hold him is when I'm anxious or have been hurt. I call him my protector.

I still have my old baby blankie, despite some small tears in it. I have always held onto to it because it would help me calm down. Even at the age of 13, I'd be carrying it through security. Sure I got strange looks, but most people just believe I have something mentally wrong with me.

silentdreamer1996 said:
Sure I got strange looks, but most people just believe I have something mentally wrong with me.

I think about this sometime. Like if I was to go out in public with a caregiver, dressed childishly, with a plushie and maybe a pacifier or sucking my thumb, if people would just assume there was something wrong with me and turn the other cheek. I guess that thought might give me a confidence boost of sorts.

I've always had my baby blanket (though it has been 'secretly' replaced once or twice due to damage by my grandma,) and I've grown (sadly) to not needing it like I did when I was a real little kid, but I still keep it in my bed for when I'm having rough times and need a good hug from something nice.

I used to have a small, white blanket. Its been lost for a long time, but a few years ago my sister got me a yellow blanket with a pillow built right into it with pikachu's face on it and antennas attached to it. It goes really well with my big pikachu plushie, I cuddle up with both every night.

I have a blankie, his name is Flowers. He was made by my grandmother and when i was a kid i used to hold it to my face and breath the scent in and it immediately calmed me. I do still struggle to sleep with out it. Not like i can't fall asleep but i end up waking up to grab him or get him and go back to bed. I think its because your body gets used to a rutine, like you always get into your PJs you always brush your teeth and you always have your blankie. For me it makes me immediately calmer and less stressed. It does make me slip into little space and if i don't have it while in little space i it doesn't work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back