How hot do non-insulated rooms get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
I'm just curious on how hot non-insulated rooms get, my room is a sleep out (I've been complaining about this heat) It's only 22 today and my room feels like it's 30 degrees, I can barely lay down without dripping in sweat.

My laptop died the other day, due to me leaving it on my bed and the heat from my room, and plastic is starting to warp in my room.

I'm estimating at least 6-10 degrees celcius difference, in winter ice starts to form on my phone so cold I can't sleep.

Kind of reminds me of a boiling hot car in the sun, or a boiling hot shed on a sunny day, feels roughly the same heat, tons colder outside than it ever is inside. walls are boiling hot to touch, my desk burns my hand.

Is a non-insulated room, even legal, should I even be paying $200 a fortnight for this?

Parents are both thick, saying if it's really that hot, you'll be inside, yeah doing what, I study for crying out loud, am I supposed to study on the floor in the bathroom? without a laptop. god dammit.

I'm not too sure if my computer will survive, I'm guessing it will, just worried cause when I built it, I built it in a smaller case, so not much room for airflow compared to a normal case. only things that will die are the hard drives, have had that happen so many times in the past, had 2TB drives fail on me.

I should add, that roughly around this time of year, I get boils on my bum (I'm serious here) due to diapers + sweat, skin peels off mostly, and pretty much looks like I've wet the bed.

Worse is my room will never cool down, for example lets say

Monday 32, Tuesday 16, Monday 22.

It will still boiling hot for all three days, which literally makes it impossible for me to sleep at night, so just image boiling hot temperatures all night, and all day, not being able to sleep cause you're dripping in sweat.

Somewhat feels like entrapment, when I moved into this sleep out, I agreed under the condition of getting an air-con, but they think they can just take it away 2 years ago, and not get me another less power using one.

Than it's my dads bright idea, to tell my mother not to get one, because my sisters room needs one, eh hello her room isn't that fucking hot, neither is my mothers, if they lived in my room for a day, that would "NEED" one.

Best of all there making assumptions, based on the fact they haven't 1 been in my room without my aircon in it 2 I'm often anti-social and too myself, that's the way I am, I hate being around people, what am I supposed to do, go out and play sport? with randoms I don't know, and get bashed cause I'm skinny lol.

I'm more worried about batteries or deodorant cans exploding in here. back the question though what are the temperature differences in a uninsulated sleepout (outside room) not connected to the house.

Last edited:
The only "cheap" solutions I can think of involve a fair amount of work, and I'm not too sure how well they will alleviate the temperature extremes buuut:

During Summer:
1 - leave the curtains shut and open all doors
2 - buy an electric fan to help create a drought through the room. Also, putting a bowl of ice in front of it can make it pretty cool too
3 - if you're really keen, lining the exterior of the building with tin-foil will reflect light, probably annoy your parents, and prevent the inside from overheating

During winter:
1 - Again, keeping the curtains closed will help keep heat in
2 - Lining the window sills with cling-film (plastic wrap?) adds another layer of insulation and prevents heat escaping through single-glazed windows
3 - if you can get underneath the building, lay plastic sheeting over the ground - this prevents moisture rising up under the house and will keep it much much warmer

we have the same issue of extremes with our upstairs rooms, particuarly the west facing rooms which are my bedroom and the bathroom, as they're just timber frame dormers, outer-clad with tiles; and these houses were built by cowboys, so they're very much not upto scratch.

i've internally clad the bathroom with PVC cladding and that, along with solving some structural gaps as i went, has greatly stabilized the temperature of the room.
impressed with it, i've thought about doing my bedroom, but the cost of the cladding alone is over £200; i'm on the lookout for cheap marked or second-hand ones.

22 degrees is pretty cold and so is 30 degrees unless you are talking about celcius. It gets pretty hot when it's not insulated. Our attics get very hot because of no insulation or vents up there to bring in the cool air or heat, plus heat rises. But we don't go in the attic so it's no big deal. We just have to go up there in the morning before it gets too hot when we want to bring stuff down or up.

Calico said:
22 degrees is pretty cold and so is 30 degrees unless you are talking about celcius. It gets pretty hot when it's not insulated. Our attics get very hot because of no insulation or vents up there to bring in the cool air or heat, plus heat rises. But we don't go in the attic so it's no big deal. We just have to go up there in the morning before it gets too hot when we want to bring stuff down or up.

Yeah I'm talking about Celsius :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back