Luvs/Pampers Fragrance, 80s baby, Chemist turned Perfumist

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got the Scentsy spray, basically J&J baby powder scent. It's a nice room spray.
also ordered a small bottle of the G.F Trumper perfume, will report back when I have it.

ArchtopK said:
has any one tried this
RS-NEWNewborn Nursery Room Spray
I just ordered this.
also, discovered a nice perfume smells like ivory soap eau de quinine
Have not tried either, I'll almost bet money the first one is your garden variety powder.

• Wow
Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
the GF Trumper scent was totally different. Trying to find soapy scents is not easy. the Crown scent however is really soapy and has that heavy sort of quality that Pampers scent had. Of course there is more to it than that.

Soapy scents are my latest interest since I think they share some aspect of the Original Pampers scent. And for those that might be interested, here is a couple links of interest:

ArchtopK said:
Soapy scents are my latest interest since I think they share some aspect of the Original Pampers scent. And for those that might be interested, here is a couple links of interest:
Wrong direction my friend. Head toward almond and anise. You were getting close before. I've been keeping up with your search. The Gucci guilty was close but that white orchid top note is a big no no.

Last edited:
I find that each individual locks on to a particular aspect of the Pampers Scent. there are many white flowers, the description from Symrise is really nondescript overall except for the general goal of the notes which I think is correct. See, I don't agree with the Gucci scent. I tried it, and to my nose memory, it was not right. Still, since no one has smelled this scent in over 21 years or more, working on scent memory is difficult. But the general goal of fresh, clean, and musky is, I think the general goal. I had been thinking that, since the P&G patent lists two sources, Symrise and Quest, I tend to think that P&G was not too concerned about the scent's actual ingredients so long as it gave a certain "impression" to the user. Of course whatever was chosen became the "signature" scent. There are many scents out there that have Soapy notes, as revealed in the two articles, but also have powder notes of lavendar and vanilla. Somewhere in the mix is what we are looking for.

In those articles it is mentioned that what we think of as ivory soap, is likely lemongrass and carnation. Reading further I stumbled on this: The main constituents in the spicy bouquet of carnation are eugenol and isoeugenol. It is therefore unfortunate and foreboding that these substances are greatly rationed in the recent specifications of the SCCS and IFRA directives, signaling a recalibration of how a carnation accord is constructed in perfumery. But not all is blek: Eugenol is strong enough, even in the 0.5% limit in the final formula and new discoveries promise to preserve this retro spicy note. Eugenol, you may recognize as also showing up in formulations listed in P&G patents. And the fact that new rules restrict the concentration levels, mean that commercially, it may be hard to find a perfume that is as strong and explosive as the original Pampers.

ArchtopK said:
I find that each individual locks on to a particular aspect of the Pampers Scent. there are many white flowers, the description from Symrise is really nondescript overall except for the general goal of the notes which I think is correct. See, I don't agree with the Gucci scent. I tried it, and to my nose memory, it was not right. Still, since no one has smelled this scent in over 21 years or more, working on scent memory is difficult. But the general goal of fresh, clean, and musky is, I think the general goal. I had been thinking that, since the P&G patent lists two sources, Symrise and Quest, I tend to think that P&G was not too concerned about the scent's actual ingredients so long as it gave a certain "impression" to the user. Of course whatever was chosen became the "signature" scent. There are many scents out there that have Soapy notes, as revealed in the two articles, but also have powder notes of lavendar and vanilla. Somewhere in the mix is what we are looking for.

I wasn't saying you were super close as the white orchid blows the entire thing, there is something vaguely ballpark about it's drydown.

As far as florals. You want VIOLET, iris, rose, freesia, mimosa, carnation.

The basenotes definitely include almond my dude. Grab a can of method brand almond wood cleaner and you will be blown away by how much of that scent is a huge part of it. Also white musc as you've already figured out. Cedar is present as well.

But that top is definitely anise and lemon.

Now if you can find that combo sans tons of vanilla... you'll be my hero.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diaps
OK, a quick search got this:

L'Instant Magic Guerlain for women​

And this comment:
Was sent a free sample of this. As someone who currently has a baby in diapers, I can confirm that this smells almost identical to how baby diapers smell when you’ve just opened the package. I’m blaming the rose, freesia, and iris combo, I think. To each their own, I guess. It wouldn’t bother me to smell this on someone else, but it’s not for me.
and...
It's an innocent, fresh infant of a scent. L'Instant Magic isn't Johnson's baby powder specifically, but it is reminiscent of baby powder and lotion, even some of the (CLEAN) diapers that I used on my child.

Those who like fresh and clean baby scents would gravitate toward it, but not necessarily those who like makeup powder.

These are current comments, so they aren't exactly relevant, but who knows.

Reactions: XLolixLolitax and Diaps
I have kept this a bit of a secret for a long time. I believe this is what you have smelled in passing before. After about 4 or 5 hours it dries down to be a little sweeter (too much vanilla) but for a good bit....it's almost perfect to my nose. Enjoy and keep hunting... we need perfection.

ArchtopK said:
OK, a quick search got this:

L'Instant Magic Guerlain for women​

And this comment:
Was sent a free sample of this. As someone who currently has a baby in diapers, I can confirm that this smells almost identical to how baby diapers smell when you’ve just opened the package. I’m blaming the rose, freesia, and iris combo, I think. To each their own, I guess. It wouldn’t bother me to smell this on someone else, but it’s not for me.
and...
It's an innocent, fresh infant of a scent. L'Instant Magic isn't Johnson's baby powder specifically, but it is reminiscent of baby powder and lotion, even some of the (CLEAN) diapers that I used on my child.

Those who like fresh and clean baby scents would gravitate toward it, but not necessarily those who like makeup powder.

These are current comments, so they aren't exactly relevant, but who knows.
Hey, it's not going to be another babypowder clone, we can at least be sure of that.

I suspect most of the folks posting on perfume boards have no idea what original Pampers smelled like. I also think that if they were to smell that today, few would associate the smell with Diapers. That's what makes the task of finding something already on the market now, even more difficult. But I do learn something each time we go down this path.

Reactions: pacified
I also liked this comment "I should also note that this review is for the bee bottle version; I've never smelled earlier formulations. Traditionally feminine, but I wish more guys smelled this good and clean, haha. All-season,"
Made me think, some of us did... when we were two years old!

I managed to get the MSDS for the Symrise formula. I was hoping it might list individual chemicals, some do. This did not.
However the title of the document was interesting in that they give a name for the perfume: Seraphim... Interesting. Definition: an angelic being, regarded in traditional Christian angelology as belonging to the highest order of the ninefold celestial hierarchy, associated with light, ardor, and purity. There are a few perfumes out there using this name.

pacified said:
Wrong direction my friend. Head toward almond and anise. You were getting close before. I've been keeping up with your search. The Gucci guilty was close but that white orchid top note is a big no no.
Gucci Guilty is the closest I have come to finding a scent that nears the original Pampers. It is not an exact copy, it is missing a slight sweet milk-like note to it and the ever so slight plastic smell the older diapers used to have.

you have to check out Ban powder fresh roll on antiperspirant. this has an amazing smell. Not very strong, but it has familiar notes.

Been thinking about going down the same rabbit hole as the original poster and getting a slew of perfume ingredients and delving into attempts to recreate the original pampers fragrance.

Couple questions.

1) I know I have heard older pampers from the era with the original scent have lost the scent. Has anyone spent the gobsmacks of money on unopened packs? I would guess the old cardboard boxes even unopened would allow the scent to dissipate but I have always wondered if the diapers in the center of the pack might have been sealed up enough to have kept a trace of the scent. Or perhaps the sealed full packs in plastic might have a chance to have held sine scent? Either type of totally full sealed pack is well over $500 and can approach $1000 so it would be an expensive gamble. If the scent is faint but almost there I wonder if there might be a way to re-stimulate some of the latent scent? If so would a master perfumist if they smelled the weak scent be able to discern the key elements? If I could catch the faintest of scent on old stock diapers tgat eould refresh my old memory on the precise scent and how close so many of the things we discuss truly are to the original.

2) Has there been any progress on the search for the fragrance patent from P&G, Quest, ect..? Name of this holy grail? Any documentation whatsoever that indicates the key basenotes?

I am open to spending a lot of money to actually get this exact scent, upwards of 10k.

• Thinking
Reactions: jellyjigger and BobbiSueEllen
any suggestions for a scent like the luvs from 2000?

• Thinking
Reactions: jellyjigger and BobbiSueEllen
Perfume does not last once exposed to air. Yes, I have tried buying sealed packs, alas, no scent remains.

• Sad
stiletos said:
Been thinking about going down the same rabbit hole as the original poster and getting a slew of perfume ingredients and delving into attempts to recreate the original pampers fragrance.

Couple questions.

1) I know I have heard older pampers from the era with the original scent have lost the scent. Has anyone spent the gobsmacks of money on unopened packs? I would guess the old cardboard boxes even unopened would allow the scent to dissipate but I have always wondered if the diapers in the center of the pack might have been sealed up enough to have kept a trace of the scent. Or perhaps the sealed full packs in plastic might have a chance to have held sine scent? Either type of totally full sealed pack is well over $500 and can approach $1000 so it would be an expensive gamble. If the scent is faint but almost there I wonder if there might be a way to re-stimulate some of the latent scent? If so would a master perfumist if they smelled the weak scent be able to discern the key elements? If I could catch the faintest of scent on old stock diapers tgat eould refresh my old memory on the precise scent and how close so many of the things we discuss truly are to the original.

2) Has there been any progress on the search for the fragrance patent from P&G, Quest, ect..? Name of this holy grail? Any documentation whatsoever that indicates the key basenotes?

I am open to spending a lot of money to actually get this exact scent, upwards of 10k.
P&G is extremely zealous of its material and intellectual properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back