Anyone see a way for plastic backed baby nappies to make a return?

LittleMissPink

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
As someone who just missed out of a world where every disposable nappy would of been plastic I do wonder if there would ever be a 'comeback' for plastic backed baby nappies. Part of me thinks (or at least fantastically hopes) that with the advancement of plant plastics that we get some plastic backed versions reintroduced. Although that might just be my wishful thinking considering the big selling point is that "they're soft and thin". But yet ironically baby nappies were advertised back in the day (positively) about how "thick" their nappies were.

It's just sad that every baby nappy went cloth backed. Not a single one hasn't made the change to cloth backed now in 2021 and it's become the standard that even cheap brand ones aren't plastic backed. I also feel a bit cheated too since plastic backed baby nappies got only a measly 25-30 year run (of which most of that time didn't even have leak guards, or proper contour etc.). It's not like with adult nappies in that there are brands that didn't make the transition (mostly ABDL) and so we still have both.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia talking but I do wish and hope for a comeback.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: newAB43, Deleted member 56273, 70sPampers and 5 others
Highly doubt standard pe backed baby diaper will ever come back, there was a new company about 10 years ago who made pe backed diapers that had "cool prints" and sold them in the usa at toy r us, they came and went within 2 years though (mainly because the store chain went out of business I think)
About the only way I could see any pe baby product coming back main stream is if the pe is not pe but a plant based product that will break down cleanly in landfills within 10yrs, but thats a long shot and would take lots of money to market which many start ups dont have.

pampers4U said:
Highly doubt standard pe backed baby diaper will ever come back, there was a new company about 10 years ago who made pe backed diapers that had "cool prints" and sold them in the usa at toy r us, they came and went within 2 years though (mainly because the store chain went out of business I think)
About the only way I could see any pe baby product coming back main stream is if the pe is not pe but a plant based product that will break down cleanly in landfills within 10yrs, but thats a long shot and would take lots of money to market which many start ups dont have.
I often wonder though, why do businesses think that just because the competitor is doing something they have to then match it. I mean is cloth backed really that much better than plastic backed? Or is it all just marketing jargon? Do babies really get a benefit out of it?

Reactions: 12srepaid and PlastiBrain
I suppose breathability is probably the key issue for babies who are changed frequently, the skin is probably more fragile, and the cloth-backed baby nappies don’t have the same security of fit issues that they do for active adults who don’t want to have to change too often.

Reactions: zaronab
ChocChip said:
I suppose breathability is probably the key issue for babies who are changed frequently, the skin is probably more fragile, and the cloth-backed baby nappies don’t have the same security of fit issues that they do for active adults who don’t want to have to change too often.
Yeah but many people including myself wore plastic backed nappies and it was all just fine. Heck cloth diapers I'd say are worse for breathability (especially if you use plastic pants) and yet there's a huge resurgence in that market these days. So the idea that the 'breathability' aspect is that important enough that every business should copy what Huggies started in 1994 with their cloth backed nappies is silly I reckon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redscales and Thalie
SweetPrincess said:
I mean is cloth backed really that much better than plastic backed? Or is it all just marketing jargon?
To be honest its a mixture of both, most pampers / luvs products can have the outer cloth like layer peeled away and then you have a regular plastic backed old school diaper underneath (just a bit thinner, but more or less the same thing) It was created to fool parents that would hold there babies and get sweaty because there skin was resting on the plastic outer shell of the diaper and they would think baby was also sweaty on the inside of the diaper.

Reactions: Lyokodl, iluvdps2, blelars and 3 others
I agree
I grew up with plastic backed diapers and I prefer them over the cloth like covers

• Love
Reactions: Redscales, 70sPampers, LittleScotty and 4 others
pampers4U said:
To be honest its a mixture of both, most pampers / luvs products can have the outer cloth like layer peeled away and then you have a regular plastic backed old school diaper underneath (just a bit thinner, but more or less the same thing) It was created to fool parents that would hold there babies and get sweaty because there skin was resting on the plastic outer shell of the diaper and they would think baby was also sweaty on the inside of the diaper.
While true, I think what they market is the 'breathable sides' which compared to a traditional plastic backed nappy there would be no breathability through the side panels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyokodl
Most of the machines manufactured today seem to be based around constructing dispies using plastic non-wovens.
Reverting back to plastic foil backings may not be economically feasible.

Oil derived plastics are basically a spin-off from petroleum/gasoline production, so the lesser consumption by cars is going to drive up the costs of plastics (feel free to thank Elon).
Using plant derived plastics will require increased slash and burning of rainforests to make way for the required agriculture. In the Amazon rainforest, the vast bulk of soil nutrients are held within the current plant and animal life; converting the forest into agricultural land will therefore also require vast quantities of fertilizer, transported overseas by heavy diesel (a petroleum production waste-product) powered ships and then overland by diesel powered (a petroleum production waste/by-product) wagons on roads (built from petroleum production waste-product), etc.

Whichever way you look at things, you're cutting your own throat.
Aren't prices of dispies about to go up?

I think they are still available from own label manufacturers in the Far East.

The last I saw in the UK were Wilkos size 5 around 2014 and they were Made in Belgium.

In pull ups, cloth backing. In briefs, plastic. In brief, my opinion.

Why can't plastic backed diapers make a comeback the same way clothes come back in style after so long? Diapers are clothes, aren't they. ☹️

Reactions: Lyokodl and ChocChip
I find if you are patient enough ,you can actually peel off the cloth mesh covering. Once you get it all off theres a layer of crinkly plastic under it! I did it to some of my sons ".Hulk" pull ups. The surface is now a shiny crinkly plastic and the print is actually more vibrant as a result. I put him in some of these modified pullups and it was like he was wearing a plastic backed diaper. My wife saw it and thought we bought the wrong thing. I explained to her what I did with them and she kinda understood but thought by doing that it ruined the Pull up. I told her it actually still is functional...... So in a way I dont see what the mesh covering is really doing. It isnt making it more breathable, or perhaps its just to make you think that! The layer is thin but very crinkly none the less....Im not overly concerned any more about baby diapers being plastic backed or not anymore. I could never wear them anymore anyway. Theres so many ABDL plastic diapers to choose from that Im satisfied. I get it though, all the kids of today will never really experience a full thick plastic diaper like we had. The same could be said for plastic pants. I almost never see anyone put their babies in those anymore

Reactions: AComputerGuy and PlastiBrain
ChocChip said:
Breathability is q marketing joke.
Disassemble a Cotton feel Pampers diaper and when you peel off that layer you find a thin plastic layer

They just used much thicker plastic back in the '80s than what they use on plastic backed adult diapers now.

But they are also getting a dent from environment because the less plastic they use the better image the company would have and of course better for the environment.

Reactions: CrazySmoker, Lyokodl, quartz200420012 and 2 others
MikeDJ said:
I find if you are patient enough ,you can actually peel off the cloth mesh covering. Once you get it all off theres a layer of crinkly plastic under it! I did it to some of my sons ".Hulk" pull ups. The surface is now a shiny crinkly plastic and the print is actually more vibrant as a result. I put him in some of these modified pullups and it was like he was wearing a plastic backed diaper. My wife saw it and thought we bought the wrong thing. I explained to her what I did with them and she kinda understood but thought by doing that it ruined the Pull up. I told her it actually still is functional...... So in a way I dont see what the mesh covering is really doing. It isnt making it more breathable, or perhaps its just to make you think that! The layer is thin but very crinkly none the less....Im not overly concerned any more about baby diapers being plastic backed or not anymore. I could never wear them anymore anyway. Theres so many ABDL plastic diapers to choose from that Im satisfied. I get it though, all the kids of today will never really experience a full thick plastic diaper like we had. The same could be said for plastic pants. I almost never see anyone put their babies in those anymore
Actually, removing the cloth cover can introduce perforation to the plastic.

Reactions: AComputerGuy and LittleMissPink
blaincorrous said:
Actually, removing the cloth cover can introduce perforation to the plastic.
Yeah sadly removing the cloth cover does make the nappy more prone to getting pin holes and small tears since the plastic is so thin.

When Pampers has a commercial that says "Pampers: The first NEW diaper featuring biodegradables to keep the world safer than yesterday's plastic, for a brighter tomorrow." Or something along that jive.

Reactions: PlastiBrain
pampers4U said:
there was a new company about 10 years ago who made pe backed diapers that had "cool prints" and sold them in the usa at toy r us
At the risk of blowing your punchline: They were called Cool Diaps, and came in zebra prints (my favorite), smilies, and peace signs. Unfortunately, they also came only in packs of three, and only in the equivalent of a size 4, so they were basically just a novelty. The Twitter and Facebook profiles still exist, but the company is long dead.

F4753F82-1F81-4BB5-83DE-EF2A5B934FBE.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Lyokodl, WillFord384, KrankyPants and 1 other person
You would think with the COVID-19, they might bring plastic back.
SweetPrincess said:
Yeah sadly removing the cloth cover does make the nappy more prone to getting pin holes and small tears since the plastic is so thin.
If you ever put plastic pants on over Cloth's back diaper, you notice the Pinholes do leak. The thing is, they leak so small you will not notice the dampness unless you touch the Cloth. Knowing this, anywhere you or your baby sits or lays. The dampness will be on that surface.

Reactions: AComputerGuy
That’s a big NO, Im not a big fan of plastic baby diapers, but then again I’m 23.

1. Disposable diapers are actually a luxury thing in the world.
2. Disposable diapers have started to actually get banned in countries who value the earth
3. There is more and more people trying out cloth diapering like the old style of cloth diapering.
Lastly diapers create huge waste if I had to guess if pampers or any mainstream diaper brand went back to plastic it probably wouldn’t sell well, because parents aren’t nostalgic about diapers and second parents and non parents would flip their sh*t, because it would add more waste to the planet

yes some disposable Diaper companies have a mix of plastic under the cloth backing, but it’s a extremely thin layer if we haven’t noticed yet, they would have to make a thicker layer of plastic to obviously protect against punctures, but that would mean more plastic and more waste.

so that leads me to no it will never happen, could be wrong, but why would they, less leaks maybe, but that’s less money for a diaper company.

• Thinking
Reactions: Deleted member 56273 and Lyokodl
Back