What was your bedtime as a kid

10:30pm Weekdays
whenever on the Weekends

8 PM (with few exceptions) until the end of the fifth grade.

Aby said:
I had trouble in the 1-3rd grade, parents and teachers tried to blame it on lack of sleep, so I then had to go to bed at 8 pm, and miss all the good shows that I liked, eventually I was allowed to stay up till 9pm on school nights by the 4th grade. I think my hatred of the 8 pm bedtime screwed me up for life, I always want to stay up late now. Also I dont think my problems had anything to do with getting 1 more hour of sleep.
I think, and my therapist agrees that it was probably ADHD or autism. Not sure the testing at the time would have diagnosed me properly, it was the early 80's. I think lots of the testing focused more on hyperactivity.
A person I know rather well was diagnosed with autism in the early to mid 1980s. Being diagnosed back then does not seem to have improved her life, though. Even though she only has a mild case they didn’t know how to help someone with it back then to improve reading comprehension, social skills, or attention span.

Back then ideas on treatment seemed to be limited to either constant discipline, or hardly any. Without going into any detail, neither approach helped.

In short, being diagnosed back then (before early intervention services existed) might not have had any real impact.

School nights- I think it started out at 8pm in elementary school and then around 10 in high school. Fri & sat nights- around midnight.

Its been a while since I thought of this but, I have a few early memories of when I must have been 3 yrs old, it was early summer, maybe around the end of June, I remember looking out the window seeing that it was still day light, noticing the teenagers across the street all still playing basketball, hanging out and being essentially forced to go to bed.
I dont think I gave much of an argument though, from what my mom and dad say is that I was extremely active as a kid and I would literally "tap out" like a light switch by 7 -8 pm all the time, that actually makes sense to me because I'm still more or less like that, I go and go and go then suddenly just run out of juice and crave going to bed.

8:30 till I was 13 then 10:00 on school nights summers after 13 were what ever I wanted

When I was little, my bed time was like 8:30ish. By the time I was in 3rd grade, I stayed up until 9:30 or 10pm (depending if it was a school night). When I was in high school, I stayed up until 12am and that got me some insomnia to where I had to take melatonin or sleeping pills to sleep. Not really a good idea since it made me tired every day.

9 PM

I had no bed time. Pretty much it didn't matter what time I went to bed I just wasn't allowed to miss school

7.30, then 8 then 9 as I grew older as a child.

Last edited:
I told time, or perceived time, by what tv show was on. I can recall when Medical Center came on (9pm CBS), it was bedtime. That was 1969, and I would have been 5 years old. Sometimes, I could plead more time, if it was just my mom. But if dad was in the room, no sale!
When Laugh-In was over, so was I. That was around 67, 68, and on. I’ll never forget the closing, and run of credits. I stayed till the very last. That was a favorite of dad’s, so there was no pleading to stay up later. GET TO BED!!!

7 PM when I was younger, 8 PM for many years after that. Late in high school, I'd stay up until around 9 PM by myself. When I got to college? I immediately began staying up until 11 PM, or even 12 AM pretty much all the time.

7:30pm was bathtime....and I only know that because Looney Tunes aired at 7pm. I'm pretty sure my parents made sure I was at least asleep by 9pm, since school started at 7:15am.

Bedtime was not really enforced after elementary school.

On my 10th birthday at the end of 4th grade, it was still 7:30 pm. That is when I was institutionalized, and suddenly found I had a later bedtime of 8 pm. The other kids were all upset about having to go to bed so early, while I was so excited because I got to stay up late.

8:00 when I was very little, it got moved to 9 when I was about 7 and 10 when I turned 14. once I hit 16 I didn't have one anymore, but once in a while my mom would say you need to get to sleep, you have school in the morning. Now it's lights out at 9 to 9:30.

7:00pm from toddler to about 2nd grade and during summer vacation when school was out for the summer it was moved up to 9:00pm. Then when school started again it was moved down to 8:00pm. When I started JR high it was 10:00pm and it is still 10:00 because I have to be at work at 7:00am

Around 9 PM, until I was around 12, and my parents were ASSHOLES about it. I wanted to watch Star Trek: The Next Generation and it came on at 9 PM, just once a week, and my parents never let me watch it.

Last edited:
NovaDL said:
Around 9 PM, until I was around 12, and my parents were ASSHOLES about it. I wanted to watch Star Trek: The Next Generation and it came on at 9 PM, just once a week, and my parents never let me watch it.
yeah i remember having the school and my Mom decided that 9pm was too late, and that 8pm was better for someone like Me. I had grown accustomed to the shows on tv between 8-9 pm and I had a hard time sleeping that early. I use to stay up later than 9pm after JR High, but Had to stay in my room and be quiet. Highschool I was allowed to stay up past 9pm

My bedtime was 8:30 growing up. But a lot of the time I didnt have much of a routine and would stay up for longer. Growing up i didn't have much of a routine and was forced to do a lot of things for myself and others. Also was sent to my room a lot throughout the days even when I did nothing wrong. I also had really bad nightmares so that made it hard to fall asleep and stay asleep.

Bedtime? What's that?

Back