How is everybody amongst all this Coronavirus stuff going on?

Doing fine here. In local stores in Ipswich, U.K. people are panic buying. Pasta products are low, toilet roll is almost non-existent, along with
various other food staples. Dried foods like pasta, lentils, and hand sanitizerz are virtually non existent. As this virus continues, is it going to
be impossible to purchase certain food products.
I think there is a shortage, because people are panic buying. One woman in the supermarket this morning, had an enormous trolley full
of various food items. More than she could possibly use within a month or so.
Is there going to be rationing of food soon, and if so, how will it effect the community?

Reactions: Fireheat
Andromeda said:
Doing fine here. In local stores in Ipswich, U.K. people are panic buying. Pasta products are low, toilet roll is almost non-existent, along with
various other food staples. Dried foods like pasta, lentils, and hand sanitizerz are virtually non existent. As this virus continues, is it going to
be impossible to purchase certain food products.
I think there is a shortage, because people are panic buying. One woman in the supermarket this morning, had an enormous trolley full
of various food items. More than she could possibly use within a month or so.
Is there going to be rationing of food soon, and if so, how will it effect the community?

I cant say how your area is gonna be, but they already have limits on TP over here and even have cops guarding TP in some places because people are literally fighting each other over TP

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they start to put a food rationing policy in place as well because if everyone panic buys; many people wont be able to buy enough to feed themselves and their families

• Wow
Reactions: NooNoo
I've not really changed any of my life, with the exception of bringing my computer home from work each day just in case. My company is actually looking at the numbers and assessing the threat based on actual risk which is refreshing. Still a lot of precautions, meeting limitations, no travel, reminders to wash your hand ect. I've not been to the stores, but I have heard its a bit crazy. I'm stocked up on diapers as is so worse case i'm covered.

BabyTyrant said:
I cant say how your area is gonna be, but they already have limits on TP over here and even have cops guarding TP in some places because people are literally fighting each other over TP

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they start to put a food rationing policy in place as well because if everyone panic buys; many people wont be able to buy enough to feed themselves and their families
Yea I think the panic is only going to get worse unfortunately.

I've taken the advice of the rich people and left my 401k account alone. That way, when the stock market collapses completely, there will be at least a little bit of a cushion for them to carve up and divide among themselves. It's important for us liberals to remember that rich people are an endangered species. :)

Covid-19 is a serious threat. Not because we know the damage it will cause, but because we don't know. The psychological damage is obviously serious already, causing a recession, closing events, and stoking fears of shortages of food and supplies that has actually resulted in some real shortages in places. The panic in the U.S. over this virus is due to us having fallen behind other countries in preparedness for medical emergencies like this. It's obvious we need a good leader to guide us through this mess, but no obvious leaders can be seen today.

• Haha
Reactions: LilxFawn and NappiedTruckDriver
Starlight12 said:
Well here in the UK I’m doing fine but it’s been said that the virus will double in two weeks time and also they say that there will be a cure in about a month time.
Starlight12
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but my understanding from credible media reports is that a vaccine will not be available until near the end of 2020. They have what are termed "candidates" (prospects) for a vaccine but they have to go through trials before they are proved effective and accepted as safe for use.

I watched Dr Anthony S. Fauci, the head of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) say this in an interview reported in credible media outlets. Fauci appears to be the most credible and authoritative expert in the U.S. government on the pandemic.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiny and Fireheat
DylanLewis said:
Starlight12
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but my understanding from credible media reports is that a vaccine will not be available until near the end of 2020. They have what are termed "candidates" (prospects) for a vaccine but they have to go through trials before they are proved effective and accepted as safe for use.
It’s just what I heard but if it’s true or not is anther matter.

On the "front lines" in Washington, but still mostly going about my daily routine. My job is one that could reasonably be done from home, but I'm still going to the office. It's a very small business, so it's not like I'm around a lot of people, and I do better work when I'm there. On the other hand, my two kids are being dismissed from school for a minimum of six weeks. They have school on Monday, and then they're home until the end of April. That's going to be a real bitch for a lot of people. My kids are old enough to be home alone, however, and my wife will be mostly working from home also.

Last edited:
Reactions: NooNoo, perlFerret, TeddyBearCowboy and 2 others
Last Thursday, Me and my Robotics team went to a Convention center for a Regional Robotics composition, and 20 minutes after getting their they cancelled the event because of the Coronavirus. This really freaked me out and I'm still a bit paranoid from it.

Last edited:
People are panic buying stuff in the store ... nothing much else has changed. The "7 year old" ordered 2 extra cases of diapers and boosters in case folks start panic buying them out as well.
Had to visit a few pharmacies to get enough adult wipes to last a month.

The 3 of us have enough diapers to last a month at our current usage rate of 7 - 10 per day ... 2 of us are medically incontinent, the other is diaper incontinent ( he has no control of his bladder any more ) .

Last edited:
Reactions: NooNoo and Jim100
ade said:
Just for interestingness:

I was stocked up on my usual cleaning and disinfecting gear before the 'outbreak', so I only bought a couple of bottles of limonene based disinfectant when I did my shopping, the other day.
To be honest, there's not much more that I can than I'm already doing for dealing with my susceptibility/over-reaction to infection, so I'm just carrying on as usual.

I've had cold/flu symptoms since November 2018, except for a three day break, and as you may remember from my previous ramblings, every time I go out I seem to pick up an infection. So, no surprise that on Thursday night my throat began burning and my chest tightened..........but I was making a Madras curry 🤪.
So anyway, hard to tell if I've got it, had it already or will get it in the future.

Cant beat a Hot Ruby Murray to clear a way through!

It was really weird for me today. As most of you know, I'm a Methodist church music director and our bishop shut down all Methodist churches and all activities for the next week. Working has been good therapy for me since my wife died so I had to find some new ways to keep myself busy. I won't have any of my choir rehearsals for the next two weeks either so the days will stretch out for me. I may get out on the bike trail as central Virginia weather is supposed to reach 75 f.

My biggest worry is shortages of regular food at the grocery store. People are crazy and they're buying out tons of stuff. I heard that cans of Spam are being emptied from shelves. How crazy is that. The other thing that bothers me is that we are shutting down the entire country and I think that will really damage the economy, further sinking the stock market. I'm also wondering how working parents with young children are going to watch their children since or governor closed all the public schools in Virginia for two weeks. Is this just the tip of the iceberg since this virus could last many months? One doctor in the Washington Post suggested that we should let the virus run its course like measles many years ago. Eventually we will all have to build up a resistance to this because he said it will always be with us from now on.

Reactions: NooNoo and perlFerret
Seems like the zombie apocalypse is happening. Food medicines and who knows what else. No joking just a serious situation happening. Hopefully every one will be okay. Because of this community I hope that there is enough diapers and supplies stocked up. For me I have about 6 cases of disposables as will as about 8 nite and 12 day cloth diapers. Food in the freezer and other food stuff enough to get through this problem. I hope others are as fortunate as my wife and I.

I just want things to go back to normal. As more stuff changes, it's getting harder for me, as an autistic, to tolerate it. The libraries are closed. Group activities at the YMCA are cancelled. These are things that get me out of the house, and I hate changes in routine.

It's not because I'm worried about the virus, but the constant media coverage is stressing me out, and my dad insists on watching the news.

Reactions: Midwest82 and Lyokodl
Midwest82 said:
I've not really changed any of my life, with the exception of bringing my computer home from work each day just in case. My company is actually looking at the numbers and assessing the threat based on actual risk which is refreshing. Still a lot of precautions, meeting limitations, no travel, reminders to wash your hand ect. I've not been to the stores, but I have heard its a bit crazy. I'm stocked up on diapers as is so worse case i'm covered.
Well things have changed quickly. We are now working from home unless we have to be in the lab. Ran to the store this morning and picked up food for an extended stay should it be needed. The Hubby starts working from home tomorrow. Going to run out of things to do for work real fast by not being in the lab.

I'm good on food & TP for about a month, (hurricane supplies) but have a sinus infection and have been avoiding going to the doctor amid this mess but will have to call for an appointment tomorrow.

Well, amidst this Corona Virus Epidemic, theres is a possibility for some Overtime and also a possibility the company I work for is gonna run out of Metal and I'm gonna end up on Layoff again

I'm expecting we might get 2 or 3 weeks more, and maybe work will taper off or completely shut down for a while after that; I really dont know yet and just wish it would be over ASAP

Fortunately the only upsetting thing that happened to me is that I had to cancel my date since it was the first day all the restaurants and coffee places went on lock down. Lol why can't I find love during a pandemic? 😂

It just continues... Even since I first posted this thread, so much has changed. My own workplace has locked doors and will not let anyone in until they call and respond to screening questions. In another day or two, I will be working from home and no longer at the workplace. I am grateful to be in the employment sector I am in, as I can continue to work and get paid. So many other businesses have been instructed to close and I feel deeply for those employees who won't be getting an income during this closure.

My retirement account has taken a 3-year hit, in that I am now in the same place I was back in 2017. However I am still staying with the strategy of relying on the fact I still have several years before I retire and that it would be foolish to "lock in" my losses right now by transferring to a fixed rate fund. When things started to fall, I thought others were foolish to have gotten out when things were low, but as I watched my own retirement continue to disintegrate, I have to admit I wish I had gotten out when my losses would have been small.

But, truthfully, the stock market and my retirement account is small potatoes when it comes to the seriousness of what is going on. Even if I lost everything financially, there is much more important things in life. When I was a child, my family lost our farm due to two natural disasters that occurred within the space of one year. ONE YEAR!

What my father had spent a lifetime building and placed his own inheritance working toward, was lost in floods and fire in a matter of a few months time. It was a lesson I will never forget. I remember the thought that I had as I slept in my upstairs bed, listening to five or six feet of water moving in the downstairs below, that what mattered most was not the material things in life. If you place all of your happiness on material and tangible things, you might build up an empire and be the most famous or successful of persons, but none of that matters when the great equalizers of fire, floods, typhoons, hurricanes, or disease comes knocking.

Far better is it to have the factors of your own "success", based in friendships, family, loved ones, and relationships and memories you have experienced in life. Your fortune and success can be taken away in a breathe or a second, but the memories and experiences of life you have had cannot be erased.

I hope we all can remember these things and be here to help each other.

🧸

postscript... Among all this chaos, I am fortunate and blessed to everyday be reminded of the miracles and see the renewal of life. Each day I get to see the newborn calves and experience how mother nature continues, despite the challenges and otherwise negative aspects of disease and death. It is all part of a bigger thing than any of us individually may realize.

Last edited:
Reactions: NooNoo, BigBlueBear, perlFerret and 1 other person
A week ago I was planning to send materials in to get printed for my colleges senior thesis art exhibition. Today we got an email that it is cancelled. I looked forward to being in the show since before I even attended this school, so the fact it has been canceled is devastating. On top of that the graduation ceremony has also been canceled and as of today student workers are out of employment. Classes have moved online for the rest of the semester and students have been asked to move off campus/return home. It feels as if my life as I know it has been thrown in a blender and I'm left trying to piece it back together as fast as i can.

Back