What type of phone do you have?

Zebby

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
I curious what kind of phone you have and why you prefer it. I’m looking into possibly getting a new phone and what to know what everyone thinks. Currently I’m an iPhone user and my wife has Android.

If you want an easy life; if you have the money; and if you don't care about the locked-down ecosystem, Apple iPhones are a great choice. They "just work" and users often love the consistent, reliable user-experience.

If you want to get the best value-for-money, Android can be a great alternative... and there is so much choice, and more variability in performance, reliability, etc. You have more control over the OS -- to install system-wide ad-blockers, or replace the firmware OS entirely. To get a "good experience", you need to think about what you want from a new phone: what are your priorities, what features are you less (or not at all) concerned about?

I recently bought a new phone. My main priority was that is should have very high performance (fast CPU, plenty of RAM), and that it should be as cheap as possible. I went for the Xiaomi Pocophone F1. It was £250 -- less than a third of the price of the latest iPhone. I'm really impressed with it.

PROs
Insanely high-spec CPU, plenty of RAM (liquid-cooling -- fancy!)
Incredibly cheap (for the performance)
Huge 4000mAh battery and super-fast-charging (iPhone is around 2700 I think)
3.5mm headphone socket (yay!)
Vivid, high-res screen
Slot for either second SIM or micro SD card
Average weight (incredible with the big battery and high-specs)
MIUI Android is fast, and easy-to-use
Popular phone, well-supported by enthusiasts (for custom firmware, mods, repairs, etc.)

CONs
No NFC
Screen is not OLED (high battery drain)
Phone is not dust/water-proof
Polycarbonate/plastic body, rather than glass and metal (feels luxurious, though)
MIUI default bloatware/advertising
Doesn't support Galileo GNSS (but few phones do)
Camera is really good, but not the absolute best.

The MIUI OS is probably going to be the deciding factor for most people. It works really well, and it super-smooth. But you'll have to go in to the settings to turn off the adverts in the built-in apps. And it includes a fair few bloatware system apps, which connect to Chinese servers occasionally. So you'll probably want to download the Windows tool to remove all that junk from the phone.

If you're really paranoid, you could wipe the phone and install a totally new version of Android, such as (the wonderful) Lineage OS. I used it on my old phone. It's a free open-source version of Android and works really well too.

If you either a) don't care about the Chinese spying on you OR b) don't mind unlocking the phone and manually uninstalling bloatware or installing custom firmware, then I reckon it's one of the cheapest, high-performance phones around.

A run of the mill Motorola candybar type Android.

iPhone XR my iPhone 6S plus in June croaked this was the best option but one get one only $749 for 2 phones. Gave one to my daughter and sold her 8 plus for $ 575 on eBay

I have a Galaxy S9+, I like it, but would love to upgrade, probably wont for another year or two at the rate that things are going.

I been buying used ever since my S7, cant afford a new flagship phone at the prices they go for these days so I go lightly used for way under retail

Nokia 7230 and as IT support device Samsung G318H

It looks like you all have smart phones. or iphones. I can't stand anything Apple. I had one class back in high school where all they had were Macs and after a few classes trying to use the things I resolved just to do my work at home or in the computer lab instead. My sibling had an iphone and eventually got tired of its bull so switched to android. Apparently you have to be very careful with them if you have them in your pocket. And good luck getting them fixed if they ever break. My phones are all pretty old. I had the sanyo katana ii for a long time with sprint until I switched providers. I'm not sure what my current one is called; it doesn't run android or iphone, but it's an LG that I've had for several years and they already had the next version of it available when I got it. It has no internet and no app store but it has battery life for days, it makes calls and sends texts, and I've dropped it half a million times already and it's not even scratched, so I'd say it has all the important stuff covered.

Last edited:
Moto G5.
Screenshot_20200205-112254.png

Wallpaper my own photo (not a bad choice, huh?)

Being disabled, I wanted something that 'just worked', as Tiny said, was somewhat futureproof (in terms of RAM and CPU spec) and was a proper UK licence.
I had a cheapo chinese-hacked-into-english prior to this and was happy to pay an extra £50 for the added security and stability.
In fact, so happy with the G5 was I that I bought my mum the G5S, when that came on offer.

I wouldn't go less than 3gig of RAM as the OS uses about half that just to breathe. I think that with less RAM, the OS throttles itself to allow for more RAM workspace and that's problems show up.

I faced similar considerations when my old Chinese tablet decided to wipe itself and with it being Android 6, I couldn't even download the updates in order to download the updates (very much bricked).
Disturbingly, 'they' we're still selling Android 6 tablets at Xmas; I wonder how the poor souls who bought them got on?
Anyway, I ended up buying a refurbished Fire 10 as we're an Amazon prime household and, as the idea went, it would fit in seamlessly.
And? Well, we got my sister the newer Fire 10 for Xmas.

Last edited:
iPhone 6S ... it's cheap, works very well, and has an awesome camera :)
I also have an iWatch ( series 2 ) ... it was also cheap and works good.

• Love
Reactions: Babyfur
I have a note 9 and I was on the fence about it but when I found I was able to sign work documents and send them back without printing them I was hooked and it's been pretty good to me.

Galaxy S7. I don't care for how phones are getting bigger and bigger, so I don't "upgrade."

S7Screenshot.jpg

I have an iPhone 8 at the moment and it works perfectly fine.
I go back and forth on what OS I prefer and which phone to get next when needed.
But I received an Apple Watch series 5 for my birthday from my husband, so seems my mind has been made up. 🤷‍♀️ Lol
I use my watch daily and can’t imagine life without it now 😂 So when it is time for a new phone upgrade, I will be sticking with Apple for now.

LG Dare, old school, size of a pack of cigarettes but half as thick, not internet capable in today's world, last of the good camera semi smart phones that don't require an expensive data plan. i also have a LG Fiesta Android phone but the data plan cost too much and the phone at three times the size of my Dare was too hard to carry about.
Sometimes progress sucks...

I currently use a android

My dream phone is BV6000, but now I'm without enough cash.

I still have my old iPhone 6s that I have since forever and it still works decently as long I don’t update the software which is running iOS 9.1 and I had it since Christmas of 2015. And it’s a has a decent camera to it even today is still considered good.

Still running Windows phone. Yes l know o_O:sneaky: But it's still working - just.

Reactions: OmiOMy and LeakingOut
iPhone 7 xplus makes my old iPhone 6se look tiny

parcelboy2 said:
iPhone 7 xplus makes my old iPhone 6se look tiny

Phones are ridiculously big now. I looked for a small one for ages, but gave up. The only small ones I could find were second-hand, low-spec models.

I love my new Xiaomi Pocophone, and the big screen has made a lot more things possible (like using grocery shopping apps, and playing pinball emulators!)... but I often leave it at home when I go out because it's too big and awkward to lug around!

I'm REALLY tempted to get a Zanco Tiny T1. It weighs 13 grams and is just 21 x 12 x 46.7 mm!

71AX0LpeQRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A phone that sends and recivies calls

Reactions: SAPexpanded
Back