Diapering tips, please help

Whitechocolate

boss baby
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
So I prefer diapers with tabs and plastic backing and right now I use abri-form L4, I think that's what they are called. I am still learning all this so sorry if I dont sound smart. Anyway, Lately I have been having difficulty getting a comfortable fit. Since my wife is not into it me being in diapers, I change in the bathroom standing up and some times I diaper too loose and other times its crooked and I leak. Which do you guys prefer diapering standing of lying on your back? Also is baby powder safe to use on my man parts?

Takes practice diapering ;)
I prefer on my back, but I'm just as able to change myself leaning against a wall .

Gently pull at the bottom tabs and secure them keeping even pressure on both sides ... next keep gentle even pressure around the top, and secure those tabs next.

Reactions: Whitechocolate
And yes it's safe on our man parts, I use lotion often too, ones for diaper rash, make you clean the aforementioned parts well. A rash down there sucks.

I can do either, though I find it easier to do it laying down.

I will say that not everyone puts on a diaper the same way. There are some common things you can start with, like doing the bottom tapes first, angling the bottom tapes upward for a snugger seal around the legs, etc, but your best bet is to try a number of different methods and come up with the strategy that works best for you. It takes time and practice, but eventually you’ll figure it out.

I diaper up standing , unfold, fluff a bit then fold lengthwise and form a light crease, put between legs and hold it there by closing legs on it, pull one bottom tape off its backing and tape it sung around legs with an upward angle , do same to other side , then I pull the diaper up snugly around my bottom and tape the top tapes in a horizontal position ending up with the waist fairly snug, I then fold the extra top flap into the top sort of forming a leak stop front and rear... only takes a minute or less.

i find standing is my perfered method, using lines on the diaper, and be mindfull of the fit b4 you land the adhesive, after both legs are done, powder private area, again mindfull of it getting on the back sheet, always smoth the sticky adhesive to make for a firm grasp, then snug the waist to comfort, using lines as a guide, a little tip i use is to prop the leg being cuffed so its easier to find a comfy fit b4 you stick the sticker

I prefer to do it on my back. But using the velcro diapers means even if it isn't a good fit I can reposition.

Reactions: Whitechocolate and RedPandaDL
I diaper while laying down on my bed. I have never tried diapering standing but laying down works for me.

I have been using Johnson's Baby Powder my whole life and have had no problems and believe that it is safe to do so.

Its a practice thing. After 5 year of 247 i can do it standing against a wall, laying down, sitting and even standing but not against the wall like in the middle of the room or woods if im camping.

Other than bed time i typically do it standing against a wall.

As others have said doing the bottom tapes first is the way to go. You get a secure leg fit. Then i do the top tapes and angle them down a bit. I gently pull some of the bottom wings down and out a bit. This prevents the tapes from digging into your legs later and also makes it so you dont have a lot of the wings sticking up and hanging out above the waistline.

Im not a fan of powder at all. Im not abdl so dont want to smell like a baby but even unscented powder is completely unnecessary and just adds time and potential messiness to the process. Obviously if you prefer to use it, then go for it. It is just not needed....in fact as i became IC after my son was born i remembered the nurses in the hospital saying not to use powder and its no longer recommended. Rather, i recommend a good barrier or eczema cream. I like hydrolatum if you can find it.

Skin care is critial for long time wear. You need to pet the area air out and you need to use creams to restore moisture and protect the skin. Urine contain ammonia which can literally cause skin to beakdown.

Last edited:
I also use the Abena L4. Most of the time I change standing up. One thing that has helped me is to get the diaper centered before I start taping. The tendency is to let the diaper slip to which every side you are taping first. Adjusting the diaper slightly to the other side before taping will help.

I do not use powder. The problem with powder is that it simply fills up the pores of the diaper and reduces its ability to absorb moisture and traps moisture against the skin. It may smell nice but it has no beneficial properties in a modern diaper. Changing regularly will do more to reduce odor and preserve the health of your skin than powder.

Wow guys thank for tips!. I tried diapering standing up and I angled bottom tabs upward and top tabs horizontal. It definately feels more comfortable. We will see tonight how it holds up while I sleep.

I can change one while walking up and down the stairs..... it was a dare. :D
I flop between the "AB" and "DL" sides of ABDL. the "DL" side doesn't care how I put on a diaper, but the "AB" side of me prefers being on my back.

Tapes are basically 1 chance. While you're learning, you might want to try one of the hook-n-loop diapers, so you can practice until you get it right.

Personally I prefer laying down as it makes it much simpler. But, put the top down on your toilet seat, open the nappy fully then fold in half lengthwise and gently press along the mid line. open it up again, place it on the toilet seat with the front part of the nappy hanging down. Sit on it and make sure the rear (the bit with the tabs on) comes up to about waist level. Now bring up the front making sure you take out any slack. Wrap the wings around the side of your body and then bring one of the tabbed wings around, tape the bottom first and then do the same on the other side. It's the bottom tabs that give most of the security. Gather in the waist and fix the top tabs for a snug fit.

Back