Petroleum Jelly

askmelater47

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So when i wear for extended periods like to work and while out partying i tend to get chafing between the legs. I'd started to apply diaper rash paste beforehand on some occasions and while it works it tends to be sticky which makes me feel weird and it smells. Idk why it took me soo long but i just bought some petroleum jelly after wearing at work all day and having issues. I put it on and immediately im in heaven. It feels soo good. I've definitely been missing out.

Reactions: LilxFawn and KitsuneFox
It definitely works ... also baby oil for wetness protection :D

Petroleum jelly, as well as many oils and ointments, will cause a diaper to fall apart. Petroleum jelly is especially harsh on diapers. It dissolves the adhesives used in the products. It will commonly cause leak guards to become separated from the product and can cause back sheet separation which can lead to all the padding falling right on out. It will also cause the elastics to break down.

I have been using Blue Star Ointment, it has solved my rash problems.

Petroleum jelly not only decimates plastic in disposable diapers but it also hardens plastic pants and causes them to crack. I wear cloth diapers, often for 18-24 hours before changing. Currently I use Remedy Skin Repair Cream for maintenance and Cetaphil Baby Diaper Cream for use at the first sign of diaper rash. Neither has shown any detrimental effects on my diaper covers or any affect on the absorbency of my cloth diapers (another bad side affect from petroleum jelly). Stay Padded.

• Wow
Reactions: LilxFawn
either way, it's deadly to adhesive tapes. make sure you either wash your hands with soap or be extremely careful how you handle the tapes and the front panel

Reactions: LilxFawn
After a few days of wearing I too get a chafing on the inner thighs. This is normally as the nappy hangs down a little into the more active part of the thighs. I found a onesie that is a little to small for your body length to be the answer. It keeps the nappy up tight against your crotch, if you can keep the bloody snaps together that is. And yes I have used petroleum jelly or Vaseline, but in minimal amounts and it does work.

For what it’s worth, I have used petroleum jelly with both cloth backed and plastic disposables and have never had any problem. You do have to be careful and not let it get anywhere near the tapes. If that’s a problem you may be using too much :)

I put a light coating of jelly on myself after shaving downstairs, it really helps with creating a moisture barrier so I don't get the razor burn, like @Sosimo stated, I to have had no issues with the jelly and diaper breakdown, but I also use as little as possible for coverage. I guess if you plaster it on like mud on sheet rock you'll have an issue.

Reactions: bounduptoplease
I am blessed with resilient skin, and do not have a problem with chaffing or diaper rash even when wearing a wet diaper for 6-8 hours. If I plan to mess my diaper, however, I always use Vaseline/petroleum jelly as a barrier. I can then enjoy my soiled diaper for as much as 2-4 hours. I, never had a problem with Vaseline somehow damaging plastic backed disposable diapers, just make sure you wash your hands to remove any Vaseline, otherwise you might contaminate the tapes with Vaseline, then they won't stick.

I like Johnson's baby oil jell , because it smells good and it last. Baby powder around the legs for chafing. Lately I`ve been using desitin cream mixed with a little bit of baby oil jell because it is sooo think. MM finds it hilarious it turns every thing so white .

I have chafe marks on my legs today ... walking over 3 miles in a badly designed adult pullup was a bad idea.
A+D ointment ( petroleum jelly base ) works very well .
I personally do not have the issues of my diapers falling apart from exposure.

For shorter more normal wear times (say 4 hours or so) I’ve never had an issue with baby oil or Vaseline. But... for longer times like 8hr+, it definitely becomes an issue

I’ve never had an issue with it bleeding the ink off the diaper but I’ve had many different diapers literally fall apart after being exposed to the oil or Vaseline for extended periods. Most of the time it’s just the leg gatherers and elastics that come apart, but I’ve had one diaper open up completely and a couple that weren’t far from it. But again, that’s after quite a long time of exposure

Zeke said:
I wear cloth diapers, often for 18-24 hours before changing.
Woowee! How do you stay in a cloth diaper for that long without leaking? You must use top quality products to protect yourself. But I'd like to know what you use to stay in those for 24 hours

Antientmariner said:
Woowee! How do you stay in a cloth diaper for that long without leaking? You must use top quality products to protect yourself. But I'd like to know what you use to stay in those for 24 hours

I’ve detailed the system that I’ve refined over the years in other threads but I’ll repeat it here. First, if I’m going to go for up to 24 hours I start with double contour gauze diapers (4/10/4 ply each) followed by 2 gauze soakers (10 ply each). Then a folded terry bath towel and finally a folded terry hand towel for a liner next to my tush which makes cleanup much easier for bowel incontinence. Both terry towels are folded in thirds with the remaining portion folded on to the first fold. This makes it narrow enough to fit between my legs, about the same width as my soakers. After these towels are put on with the diapers and soakers before pinning I unfold them in the front and back making a V shaped area that collects urine very quickly and the area between the legs remains folded which creates a barrier so feces don’t move forward. I sleep on my sides often and the rapid absorbency of the terry cloth towels prevents pooling in the sides of my plastic pants. It then wicks to the soakers and finally to the diapers which makes the terry ready for the next wetting. My wife used to use baby powder in our kids plastic pants to reduce friction when sliding them up their legs and over their diapers (especially if she had changed a wet diaper and reused the plastic pants). I do this as well as it makes it easier to slide my plastic pants over all this padding and yes it does give me a lot of diaper waddle. Due to back problems I’ve always slept with a pillow between my knees and with this much padding it’s almost a necessity. Hope this helps, stay padded.

When i use jelly, i put on my diaper like normal with powder in the wings and sometimes some barrier cream. Then after my diaper is all taped up, I'll take jelly and coat my inner thighs. This helps to lubricate my diaper which lets me walk straight and not have chafing and diapers sticking to my skin.

Back