Feeling discouraged about leaking while lying down

hex000f

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Hello everyone,

I've come a long way since my first few posts here about having leaking issues. I've virtually eliminated leaks while standing up. However it seems like I can only avoid leaking when I pee while lying down first thing in the morning some of the time. Generally what happens is depending on how much I have to pee that morning either I don't leak if I don't have to pee that much or I leak out the top of my diaper on the left side if I do. I've already pointed my penis down so that's not the issue. Currently I use large Rearz Safari diapers.

edit: I've only been able to [emotionally] comfortably wear a diaper to bed for about half a year now so I don't have as much practice with peeing while lying down.

Advice on what I might be doing wrong would be welcome but more importantly has anyone else ever been in this situation and solved it to their satisfaction?

Last edited:
Are you making sure that the barrier thingies inside are pointing up? are the legs and top tight enough? you should be able to fit a finger in or two to allow blood circulation but that's about it. some diapers also start to loosen when you wear them for a while, maybe that's the problem?

Yeah, your technique may be off a little. I've had better success from cheaper diapers. There was a thread on self-diapering here and my own thoughts here (the page seems to scroll a little), which may be helpful. I'll append my post by saying that I also give my diaper a little tug up after the bottom tapes are applied.

Having said that, I did have issues with the original Dry 24/7 smalls swelling-up in the front so much on the first wetting that subsequent releases didn't have anywhere else to go and caused leaks. I forget if this happened laying down or mostly when sitting. I'm too lazy to look for that thread and the advice somebody posted, but it involved applying the bottom tapes considerably higher, to create a larger pocket in the front.

Try Betterdry or Crinklz diapers they have worked great for me day and night and I am a side sleeper leaks at night are way down

Reactions: TyphaHare
Almost all of my leaking issues stopped after I got better at using the diapers. The more full a diaper is, the slower it is at absorbing. If you can go slowly instead of flooding all at once, it will help a ton. If you don't have the control yet to regulate flow, try stopping and starting in few second bursts.

Reactions: Silversnell and TyphaHare
Rob110 said:
Try Betterdry or Crinklz diapers they have worked great for me day and night and I am a side sleeper leaks at night are way down
I've honestly found Rearz Safari/Inspire+ to be much better than Crinklz at night. Also if the OP is leaking out the top I'd be surprised if they're sleeping on their side. Just suggesting a different diaper when they're already using a high quality premium brand isn't always helpful

Last edited:
Side-sleepers who bedwet have often said cloth is the way to go..! Maybe that helps?

Practice makes perfect!

If you're able to do what I did, just spend a few days drinking lots of water (safely) and each time you have to pee go lay down in bed with a few towels underneath you, you will get a feel for it and see what works and what doesn't work.

I've only worn to bed a few times but what worked for me was to wake up a bit, tuck my doodle downwards and go. I also make sure the diaper is tight around my tummy, legs, and thighs.

I wore Rearz Barnyards and Forsite Under The Sea.

hex000f said:
Hello everyone,

I've come a long way since my first few posts here about having leaking issues. I've virtually eliminated leaks while standing up. However it seems like I can only avoid leaking when I pee while lying down first thing in the morning some of the time. Generally what happens is depending on how much I have to pee that morning either I don't leak if I don't have to pee that much or I leak out the top of my diaper on the left side if I do. I've already pointed my penis down so that's not the issue. Currently I use large Rearz Safari diapers.

edit: I've only been able to [emotionally] comfortably wear a diaper to bed for about half a year now so I don't have as much practice with peeing while lying down.

Advice on what I might be doing wrong would be welcome but more importantly has anyone else ever been in this situation and solved it to their satisfaction?
Thick cloth pin on diapers with snug elastic plastic pants are the only thing I can wear to bed to mostly protect against leaks. Disposables always leak for me when laying down

depends4me said:
Yeah, your technique may be off a little. I've had better success from cheaper diapers. There was a thread on self-diapering here and my own thoughts here (the page seems to scroll a little), which may be helpful. I'll append my post by saying that I also give my diaper a little tug up after the bottom tapes are applied.

Having said that, I did have issues with the original Dry 24/7 smalls swelling-up in the front so much on the first wetting that subsequent releases didn't have anywhere else to go and caused leaks. I forget if this happened laying down or mostly when sitting. I'm too lazy to look for that thread and the advice somebody posted, but it involved applying the bottom tapes considerably higher, to create a larger pocket in the front.
Its too soon to know for sure but so far your advice seems to be helping, thank you.

I sleep on my front/side. I've had problems with Rearz and Foresite leaking. I went with a large as opposed to a medium and added a tranquility booster. Other wise large is too big! So far I've had a dry bed. a bit more bulky but when your sleeping you don't want to be woken up because the bed is wet.

I would go with cloth too - seems to work better for me overnight, or sometimes a prefold cloth over a disp.

Reactions: Silversnell
Whenever i am wetting during the night i lay on my back for about five minuites so the pee soaks down towards the bum. If you are a male, ensure your nozzle is pointing as down as it could be too!. I also wet slowly to ensure it properly soaks in and doesnt soak up to the waistband at the front fast as thats where i leak 99.9% of the time. Then i roll over and can usually tell if it starts to leak out of the sides. I have bought some bed pads too that i put down and sleep on if i have a particularly soggy bum one time when i wake up. Might be worth a try?I always change if the padding under the waistband becomes moist about 1 1/2 inches from the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChocChip
hex000f said:
Its too soon to know for sure but so far your advice seems to be helping, thank you.
After a week of practice I can safely say your advice about doing the bottom tapes first has prevented further leaks except for one day where I didn't put the bottom tapes on snugly enough but that's easy to avoid

If your padding is on too tight then even if you are pointed down if you flood faster than the material can absorb, the flow sort of backs up to your tummy where it is harder for the leak guards to corral it, then it will flow out the top. If you give a little extra room when you diaper up it should help by giving the fluid somewhere to go while it gets soaked up by a larger surface area.

Get a more absorbent diaper and you can use a booster pad I use them for my less absorbent diapers and normally don't leak and I sleep on my side alot a more absorbent diaper will go a long way towards stopping leaky diapers even for side sleeping

Back