Is this just me...

badger50

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Is this just me, or is it a widespread issue?

Medium diapers feel great, but tend to run a bit smaller than ideal. Large diapers are huge (and won't seal around the thighs).

Anyone found the solution?

Reactions: Dan09 and TheRainbowPrincess
I have the same issue but with lower sizes. Small diapers fit well but I wouldn’t mid them being a little bit larger while medium diapers are way to big. There is no solution beside switching brands, which may not be successful, or gaining/losing weight, which isn’t something you should do just for diapers.

Last edited:
You might be between sizes. Couple years ago I was straddling small/ medium sizes. I had a 29 inch waist but thick thighs so smalls fit in the waist fine but choked the heck out of my legs. And at the time then I swam in mediums. Presently I’m between medium/ large with a 37 inch waist (I got really fat 😒). I’ve learned it depends on the diaper itself for example ABU Simple/ space/ little paws medium run slightly bigger than their medium simple ultra/ peekaboo. And I still find Rearz mediums to be huge on me. It’s really about trial and error to me and finding what works best for you.

Definitely agree that it does depend on the choice of diaper, and also the unique shape of each person. I'm not sure why, but I've always got a better fit from medical diapers (particularly Tena Active Fit) than from AB diapers. With AB diapers the difference between medium and large is more extreme. A medical medium will accommodate larger thighs much better than a medium AB diaper.

Does anyone know of any AB diapers that fit more like medical ones?

badger50 said:

Medium diapers feel great, but tend to run a bit smaller than ideal. Large diapers are huge (and won't seal around the thighs).

Is the problem as you describe or is it really with you (and most others, by the looks of it) misperceiving how dispies (and possibly clothes in general) should fit and function?

The solutions to the immediate problem are simply to ensure a cupping of the dispy between the legs (pulling up the edges of the front wings can help there; it looks unkempt, but works in helping to channel fluids to the centre of the pad. The elastics are there to help with that, not to create a seal) and to wet less and change more often (the current idea of wearing and using for half, or even all day, is just downright scruffiness; you wouldn't leave shit and piss stewing in a toilet bowl for such lengths of time).

Last edited:
Reactions: Carnifex
if you want to stay in a med diaper try Confidry 24/7 they tend to be cut a bit bigger, Im the same as you in between sizes bit ai have since switched to Betterdry or Crinklz in a large and hav had no issues with fit. I use hockey tape to reenforce the diapers tapes (no mater what brand) and it helps keep my diaper snug.

Reactions: randy1959

[/QUOTE]

Seni makes a diaper size between medium and large called regular. That is what I use because they are the most comfortable diapers I have ever worn. They are very good quality.

I’ve had a look at sizing and have actually measured my hips/waist. I’m right on the boundary between medium and large betterdry, when they’re back in UK stock I’ll order both sizes to try them.

I guess any small-large diapers or large-medium diapers should work well, do that makes any sense!

I'm in the same place with Betterdry. I wear mediums and they are really just a fraction too small, although I have found a taping position that works and is comfortable. Large are definitely too large and cannot be made to fit well at all, i.e. they are uncomfortable, do not stay in place and leak. The standard size range of S/M/L/XL does not provide enough choice around the critical middle of the range where a large number of wearers are likely to be. I was not aware of the Seni 'Regular' size and look forward to trying those.

I agree with ade that wearing for ages until completely soaked, as often described on here, is not great and nappies are not necessarily designed to be used that way. However a well-fitting nappy can make quite a reliable watertight seal and this is often worth having, e.g. if you flood when wetting heavily, on the awkward occasions where you cannot change and have to use more of the capacity than normal, and for extra safety and smell control when messy.

I'm with you! Mediums fit me well but I wouldn't mind a bit of extra.... especially around the legs... but a Large is impossible for me to wear!!

It depends on the diaper, being that not every model has the same cut. Regardless, there are a few out there that I wish were a little roomier and more generously cut. I like a saggy but snug diaper at the end of the day.

I have highlighted the same issue to suppliers as well as on here. XP Medical used to make a 'regular' size diaper in USA, Save express wouldn't stock it though even though they carried the S,M&L of the same range.

I have no chance of getting betterdry large to fit. The confidry 24/7 were the best fit ever for me, I don't even mind paying the premium that they cost compared to same products but they are impossible to buy in Europe.

Well, babies get eight sizes of diaper, and adults get (usually) only three. And while some adult diapers are available in XL, XXL, etc., the need for these sizes is somewhat exceptional, whereas in baby diapers, the sizes all correspond to healthy body sizes that most children will fall into at some point (though they may potty-train earlier). So yeah, adults are kinda screwed. My waist size is a good fit for most medium adult diapers, but the rise of those diapers is usually insufficient. As a result, I mostly find myself buying larges, which are a bit roomier than I would like. *shrug*

I've always found I've been between most products sized small and medium. Small being comfortable, but as you described for medium in your case; could use a bit more and sometimes medium being just a tad too much.

It's incredibly noticeable (at least to me) with brands that have blanketed two sizes together into a stretch product like Attends have done. Their medium size 'belt' tape can wrap to essentially my other hip and after some movement just ends up becoming loose.

Same problem... M sized diapets are OK, but the absorbent core I prefer higher. L sized diapers fix this, but with more probabilities of leaking.

I have the same trouble everyone described. I am right in between a M and L. I recently did a test to see medium and large in the same brand. I described my size trouble to Northshore care and they send me samples of both M and L for the two products I like (Crinklz and Supreme Lights). Kinda cool, they shipped me 10 diapers for free.

It was really a big help. I could fit in the M, but the leg gathering were too tight and they were short (didn't really fit up to the waist correctly) The Large are still kinda big but I can definitely tape them to fit better than the medium. Would be nice to have a size in between.

... and call it XM ?

Seem like a common problem for a lot of us I included. I have tried regular and the fit was right but the diapers were not that good as we would like. Switched to L's and the only way I could get a good fit is to pretape them when I found the right spot for the lower tape. Then just shimmy into them.

I'm keen to try the Betterdry medium/large - they've been out of stock in the UK for a while now. But I understand that the new batch are different? Maybe a new manufacturing run?

Hopefully NappiesRus will have stock soon!

This is a problem for me on some diapers and what I have done is taken a knife and cut into the edges where the diaper touches the leg and removed a small section.

This did take a few tries to get right as they will fail and spill out if you do it wrong, but it does give a more comfortable fit.

Back