For you who are incontinent

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiapDev

Hytxylia company Creator
Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Because I think the product expectations and characteristics are different between incontinent and AB/DL people, I want to know what is your expectations for a future disposable diaper product or something with the same goal.

Indicate your expectations directly in this thread

Do estate to let know your expectations even if you think it's too complicated even impossible (something that seems impossible in the first place can be possible if it's thinking in an other way)

I hope you will be active in this thread it's can help to have better future product.

Something that doesn't leak for us side sleepers. I'm shifting to cloth at this point as disposables leak way too often! The closest for me from non leaky diapers was betterdry, but even those, if I didn't tape them on just right will still leak.

Reactions: PaddedStag
I'm not incontinent but would like to put it a word: When I've been wearing for extended periods and moving about, I've found that especially when standing and even more when sitting, most diapers (all of the ones I've tried in fact) don't tend to wick very well, so by the time it's about to leak maybe only 1/2 or 2/3 of the padding is actually used, while another large portion is left unused, and it seems like a waste. Finding some way to get a diaper to wick better would be a large step, and could also help with discreteness for incontinence if you could depend on it to swell equally throughout all of the padding versus just in the front and a bit in the bottom

Reactions: nzdy1 and winterheart01
Better airflow to reduce sweating, without the problems with weeping and odor that the current clothlike backed (really nonwoven) diapers have. Faster wicking could reduce the thickness required to deal with floods. Smooth outer shell, at least in the crotch, to reduce chafing on the inner thighs. Tapes that can be unfastened and regathered even hours after they've been applied - that's the biggest reason I don't use cloth backed. A back that looks like regular underwear so I'm not immediately outed if my shirt rides up.

I'll probably come up with more, but that's a start.

Reactions: psychonautalis, nzdy1 and DiapDev
Hi DaipDev,

I think this most likely a bit more complicated because I think there are not “this” AB/DL requirements. There maybe some common expectation, like that a diaper shouldn’t leak or that the fluff should stay in place and the fastenings shouln’t open by themself. But if it comes to other features like printing, plastic vs. cottonfeel, thickness, cutting pattern the wishes may vary much more. More over there might be a significant difference between the requirements of AB and DL’s. If you read thru this forum you may find that a tendency that:

- plastic foil is better then cotton feel
- thicker is better then thin
- printed is better then unprinted (especialy for AB’s)
- a classic diaper style is better then a belt style

But to be honest - I’m not sure if this generalization is true. I’m for instance prefer Attends Adjustable’s. That’s the complete opposite style to what I wrote above. Maybe it’s because I’m also incontinent but even before this time I preferred products that are discreet, comfortable to wear and high absorbent. So I’m not sure if the requirements - at last from DL differ that much from those of incontinent people.

Any diaper will leak at some point in time its unavoidable no mater how premium the diaper is but you can reduce leaks to almost 0 with a quality diaper like Better Dry or Crinklz and changing before you become over saturate.

Some of your expectations are very interesting, for now I don't really find expectations that I haven't already planned in my first product ;)

Rob110 said:
Any diaper will leak at some point in time its unavoidable no mater how premium the diaper is but you can reduce leaks to almost 0 with a quality diaper like Better Dry or Crinklz and changing before you become over saturate.

Yes - you are absolutely right. This is exactly what I mean. The point is that there's still a lot of rubbish outside. If I would use the diapers that I got on prescribe from my insurance without additional payment I would end up half of the month in wet trouser (and yes - I change as soon as I can...). This is because this cheap shit does not work very well while sitting. You can design diapers that work better but I guess this have it's price. It starts with wooven what is pretty important for the absorbing speed, goes over the length of the used fibres in the fluff what is important for the liquid distribution (if there are some used - there are also designs without), the type of the SAP that have to be adjusted to the fluff, the cutting pattern and the leak guards and so on. It is a bit a science for it's own and some doing pretty well here and some not.

How ever - I thing the approach from a startup is most likely a different ones. There is a huge difference between developing a diaper from the scratch or using existing fab's and machines and just change the color, the cutting pattern, the foil and the fasteners. If you develop a new diaper - and I mean somthing really "new" you most likely need to develop / trimm the machines that you need for the production process too. This is for a startup a big problem because this is extremely expensive. So it's not such an uncommon idea to came up with something for a niche market and use overcapacity's from some big manufacturers. If you look at the prices from crinkles and Co I'm sure that there's room for more. I think it's much easier to design something "fancy colourful bulky" for the AB community but to came up with a really high-tech thin, breathable, skin protecting and never the less super absorbing diaper for mobile people with continence problems.

And it's not only a manufacturing problem - if you try to start with something new in this branch you're entering an IPR minefield what is hard to handle for a startup.

mickdl said:
Yes - you are absolutely right. This is exactly what I mean. The point is that there's still a lot of rubbish outside. If I would use the diapers that I got on prescribe from my insurance without additional payment I would end up half of the month in wet trouser (and yes - I change as soon as I can...). This is because this cheap shit does not work very well while sitting. You can design diapers that work better but I guess this have it's price. It starts with wooven what is pretty important for the absorbing speed, goes over the length of the used fibres in the fluff what is important for the liquid distribution (if there are some used - there are also designs without), the type of the SAP that have to be adjusted to the fluff, the cutting pattern and the leak guards and so on. It is a bit a science for it's own and some doing pretty well here and some not.

How ever - I thing the approach from a startup is most likely a different ones. There is a huge difference between developing a diaper from the scratch or using existing fab's and machines and just change the color, the cutting pattern, the foil and the fasteners. If you develop a new diaper - and I mean somthing really "new" you most likely need to develop / trimm the machines that you need for the production process too. This is for a startup a big problem because this is extremely expensive. So it's not such an uncommon idea to came up with something for a niche market and use overcapacity's from some big manufacturers. If you look at the prices from crinkles and Co I'm sure that there's room for more. I think it's much easier to design something "fancy colourful bulky" for the AB community but to came up with a really high-tech thin, breathable, skin protecting and never the less super absorbing diaper for mobile people with continence problems.

And it's not only a manufacturing problem - if you try to start with something new in this branch you're entering an IPR minefield what is hard to handle for a startup.
You can do New product even if you use (Normal machine) you can tweak the actual machine to have different result, without create a new machine, there are a lot of material use in different type of similar product but not in the same product even if this materials have a advantage to be use in the same product. But basically the more important to create new product without an high development cost is too have some ideas of how to do this :) . And yes there are Inevitably some financial risks but the risks is for me not for the customer so all is ok

The things I look for are:
  • Large absorbency: I don't like having to change all the time (maybe once or twice a day)
  • Contains odors: The main reason I don't use clothlike-backed diapers is the smell of urine comes through them when they're only a little wet, as well as they wick/weep wetness around the legs, feeling clammy.
  • Smooth against thighs: As someone else mentioned above, having a smooth texture against your body is important when you're active and walking miles a day.
  • Tall leak guards: obviously, leaks are the thing you want to avoid most, either standing or laying down.
  • Color: I don't mind wearing white diapers, but having some variety in your underwear choices makes it a bit nicer, but don't go for the AB designs at all, myself. I particularly like the design you have posted on your website.
Good luck! Can't wait to see what you come out with!

eastcoastdl said:
  • Large absorbency: I don't like having to change all the time (maybe once or twice a day)
  • Contains odors: The main reason I don't use clothlike-backed diapers is the smell of urine comes through them when they're only a little wet, as well as they wick/weep wetness around the legs, feeling clammy.
  • Smooth against thighs: As someone else mentioned above, having a smooth texture against your body is important when you're active and walking miles a day.
  • Tall leak guards: obviously, leaks are the thing you want to avoid most, either standing or laying down.
  • Color: I don't mind wearing white diapers, but having some variety in your underwear choices makes it a bit nicer, but don't go for the AB designs at all, myself. I particularly like the design you have posted on your website.
Its logical that my product will be more absorbent than the other but is not to add time in the wearing time, is not good for the skin to stay a too long time in contact with the urine. But add absorbent is here to prevent leaking.

DiapDev said:
Its logical that my product will be more absorbent than the other but is not to add time in the wearing time, is not good for the skin to stay a too long time in contact with the urine. But add absorbent is here to prevent leaking.

I think this is the perfect approach. From my point of view the biggest drawback from a lot of existing products is, that they do not absorb fast enough. This is mostly combined with the problem that the liquid distribution inside is not optimal. In the worse case the SAP block the distribution and the product leak long before it's theoretical capacity is reached. If someone would find a solution for this problem, much thinner products would be possible that are better to wear and they would be still pretty secure.

I can tell you just from my own experience. In fact I often use pad's if have a toilet nearby and that work fine for me over the daytime. I never lose more the 200ml (mostly much less) with one episode and I can change if an accident happened. How ever there are a couple of situation where I prefer a diaper: I have a long drive to my work and home and I have to travel frequently - and this is exactly the point where the pad's completely fail The pads leak if I have an accident while sitting in the car or a plane . The same problem exists for the nighttime.

I personally prefer diapers with the flexibel belt style because I can take them on and of easily if visit the toilet. If things went wrong the diaper have enough capacity to help me out until I find a place to change. For me diapers are also much better then pant's because I can change them without peeling out of my clothes.

More coverage up front for us males. I would love to see as much padding up front as in the back. I have even tried using the current one backwards, but the cut is awkward.

Tall leg/Leak guards

Solid fasteners (Mega Max is great)

Smooth plastic backed - not cloth. It would be double points for one that breaks down in the land fill to make me feel better about the whole thing.

Cost containment. Anything that is about $2/diaper is getting into my danger zone.

Wicking needs to be better. I have found that Mega Max being my day diaper of choice are great but don't wick as well I as I would like. I have found introducing a bamboo fabric booster really does make things much better. It wicks front to back when I use that and the diaper takes the bulk of the load well that way. I can go all day with this, but it does get a bit heavy.

Anti-Sag mechanisms? I am not sure how this would be done, but if there could be maybe elastic bands running front to back that allowed for swell, but prevents a bit of sag would be awesome. Today I use women's control panties to help petty successfully as they are meant for that kind of thing.

Imitation ass crack? Maybe one solid elastic that created a crease in the middle of the diaper rear to avoid the flat diaper butt look

As for overall capacity, I think we have met the maximum I am comfortable with. The Mega/Ultra//Rearz are all awesome to the point of rediculous once you have them at capacity. Carrying more than 1 or maybe 2 gallons of liquid waste in my underwear is just uncomfortable and race has ended for me in that regard.

DiapDev said:
Because I think the product expectations and characteristics are different between incontinent and AB/DL people, I want to know what is your expectations for a future disposable diaper product or something with the same goal.

Indicate your expectations directly in this thread

Do estate to let know your expectations even if you think it's too complicated even impossible (something that seems impossible in the first place can be possible if it's thinking in an other way)

I hope you will be active in this thread it's can help to have better future product.
I don't like disposables, I don't like the tapes, they don't reposition well, and disposing of a wet diaper smells and fills landfills. I wore cloth as a child and wear cloth now

alwayz said:
I don't like disposables, I don't like the tapes, they don't reposition well, and disposing of a wet diaper smells and fills landfills. I wore cloth as a child and wear cloth now
Hi. May I ask which cloth diaper you use? Are you using AIO or not? If not, what kind of insert you use and where do you get them from?

I wear diapers from Adult Cloth Diaper Co. and find that they have an excellent product that is comfortable, absorbent, and washes well. I also have some diapers from Amazon from Baby Pants. The inserts are available from either source. There are other companies but I have used these for years. I like contour diapers for daytime wear, they are less bulky under clothing, I use prefolds at night.

Reactions: Petya217
eastcoastdl said:

I would agree with this as well. Additionally, a diaper with the right ratio of SAP to fiber that could effectively contain floods while also being able to distribute fluid throughout. Maybe somehow putting more SAP right along the waistline to help seal off leaks around the waist and sides, but more fiber in the rest of the diaper to help better distribute. With proper leak guards, if I leak, it will be out the top or sides. Either I flood too much for the diaper to contain (especially while sitting) or if it's already wet, a gelatinous mass has developed which can't absorb anything else while the rest of the diaper remains dry.

Reactions: daylight
I believe that the diaper you wear is a personal choice. I have tried several different types and found that for me, a cloth diaper and a diaper cover, are my choice. I wear 2 to 3 diapers each day, and one at night.

My comments: Distribution of fluid is really important to me. High SAP content seems to be counter productive to real world use. While some of the highest absorbency diapers clamor for the honor, for me, are not effective as the SAP prevents distribution and increases pressure against the body.

The best diapers that I have used, either are cloth (no SAP) or contain less SAP (consequently less capacity) but, distribute the best.

The use of channels to help direct fluid to parts of the diaper would be a game changer for adult products. I imagine minimally one channel running down the middle to help distribute everything across the length and help with pressure build up from SAP.

Reactions: trysexiea, TiggyCat and RedStripeLvr
I guess that i'm "old school"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back