Ghost/ Spirits

TB333

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
Any believers of Ghosts/Spirits here? If you do and have a story, tell it I wanna hear. If you dont, explain your reasoning, I wanna hear that to. Please no "lol ghosts aent real" lazy comments or name calling.

Reactions: MrGnome
Not a believer here, I'll get to the reasons why in a moment, but I come from a family that was very superstitious and have many a tale of supernatural sightings.

Part of my heritage is Romani Gypsy, so my Mom's side of the family does a whole bunch of stuff from telling fortunes with playing cards, to reading wax drippings, to using salt circles, to growing herbs and making their own medicines and elixirs. My Mother, Grandmother, Grandfather and Aunt have all reported run ins with a ghost at my Great Grandmother's house when she was still alive, from bumping into black, misty pillars in the basement, to waking up with faces peeking out of the walls and staring down at them.

Now, as to why I don't really believe, one big reason, I've never experienced anything remotely supernatural; no odd sounds in the middle of the night, no ghostly figures, no disjointed moaning. Also, I tend to be a believer in rational explanations. What's more rational, the fact that a ghost's sounds might just be a house settling or that some dude or gal from the 1800's stuck around because of some unfinished business?

I believe that in almost every experience of ghosts or what have you, there is a logical explanation for what transpired. I mean heck, a ghostly encounter could even be a vivid fever dream or a hallucination. I had one of those sleep paralysis moments years ago where someone was looking over me, that was pretty darn freaky, I knew it was a nightmare though or my brain going a mile a minute when my body was trying to sleep, so I didn't think for one second that I had an encounter. In retrospect, I wouldn't be surprised if the dream my Grandfather had of some "ghost" looking over him as he slept was simply sleep paralysis.

As for cold spots and magnetic fields that supposedly substantiate a ghostly presence, depending on how old the house is, what materials it was built from and how ore rich the soil where your house resides is, you can get magnetic spikes very easily. As for cold spots, they can be results of flaws in the architecture; a draft in the ceiling, uneven insulation. I have a cold spot in my apartment kitchen, it's not because a ghost resides there, it's because it's winter and the pipes run very shallow underneath the tile floor, it all adds up to cold surface that retains heat poorly.

Furthermore, what if those who believe, believe for the sake of believing? What I mean is, maybe some people get so bored with the hum-drum of the everyday that they need to make up these ghost stories or they suspend their disbelief more easily when something weird happens because it provides excitement or in their eyes, some semblance of proof that there is life after death.

Sadly, I'm just not buying it:unsure:

I believe in intuition, happenstance and bizarre coincidence though. I've dreamt about people and then I proceed to see them on the street, I've had family members say they thought something was going to happen and then something does. I think these moments can also be explained by some sort of logic and instances like these seem much more plausible than a bonafide ghost or spectre :eek:

Last edited:
This question gets asked frequently on this site, so several years ago I wrote this and saved it. It is absolutely true.

When I was 15 or 16, we moved across town to the smallish cape cod house along the Toms River. The street, 123 Pine St., was lined with Mimosa trees which smelled like sweet peaches when they were in bloom during the hot, humid summer. We had lived in a cap cod house in Holly Park, years ago, so when we moved into this house, my mom did the same as she had in Holly Park, which was to make the second downstairs bedroom, one that looked across from the kitchen, into a dining room, and my bedroom was in the attic. Being a cape cod, the attic had four dormer windows built into the roof, creating four nooks and more head room in the sides of the sloping roof. The attic was finished with wallboard and I actually repainted the walls a soft yellow. There were two rooms separated by a wall and of course, a door.

The far room became a sitting room, two chairs and a black and white TV. The other room was my bedroom along with my desk where I did my homework, and my stereo. It also had a new piano on the wall with the door, and I had purchased an old, antique, wind up clock which bonged on the hour. I still have the clock. Since this upstairs was the attic of the house, short walls were built and they ran the entire length of the attic. I think there were four doors in each room on these short walls, where things could be stored in the eves of the attic. Some of them had shelves. The doors were on hinges of course, and had handles which latched and kept the small closet doors closed.....most of the time.

So I moved up there and it wasn't long that I noticed, as I lay in bed, that there would begin, a tapping noise in the farthest closet, always on one side. I would try to go to sleep but I would hear, "tap, tap, tap" coming from the farthest closet. Then as time passed, the tapping would move to the next closet, still in the other room, tapping and tapping, stopping and tapping. Then after some time, the tapping would come into the bed room, tapping in the closet furthest from the bed, tapping and stopping, silence, and then tapping and then of course, I would hear the tapping in the closet next to my night stand, the closet next to my pillow and me. This would go on every night without fail.

One morning I went down stairs and my mom asked me why I was walking around in the middle of the night, but I wasn't. They simply heard footsteps. This happened a number of times. I finally grew tired of being afraid of the tapping, so I stayed awake with my hand on the handle to the closet by my bed. I waited patiently for the tapping, and it most definitely came: tapping and tapping, first in one closet and then the next. I waited and waited knowing that eventually it would tap on my closet where my hand lay in wait, and I would be ready. It came all right, but it didn't tap. It banged, hard enough that I could feel it in my hand, feel how wood vibrates when it's been hit hard, and with that I yanked the door open, only to find nothing, all the noises stopped.

But that isn't the weirdest. Not by far. One summer day, a Saturday, I was watching television in the living room with my parents. Suddenly from upstairs, it sounded like every window, all six of them, had shattered, and the sound was deafening, like one of the THX movie theater affects sounds. My dad went running upstairs and I followed, my heart pounding. When we got into the attic, my bedroom, there was nothing out of place. I expected to see glass all over the floor in both rooms, but there was nothing. But that's not the worst thing that happened in that room. This is:

My first year in college, I brought my best friend, also my SO, home for the weekend, and it meant a good, home cooked meal for the two of us. This was in the fall, he and I were 18. We had one drink with my parents before dinner, but nothing after. I had told him about my room so he brought a Ouija board with him. He had and still does, ESP abilities. We waited until 12 midnight and put the Ouija board on the end of the bed, each one of us sitting on the edge of the bed, and our hands on the Planchet. He started asking the usual silly questions, and the plastic pointer was moving around the board. I of course assumed he was moving it. Later he would tell me that he thought I was deliberately moving it. He asked if a presence was here, and the pointer pointed to yes. This went on until he said, "Well if there's a spirit here, show yourself, God damn it!" and at that very moment, a full figured ghost appeared in the doorway, the door being open. Not only could we both see the image of what appeared to be a man, but also his skeletal frame inside this white, translucent, nebulous form. We both were standing up at this point, frozen in terror, because this thing filled us with both a feeling of terror and dread. It floated forward, passing through my left half and all of him as it turned right and drifted through the wall, disappearing.

The half that passed through me became cold. Buzzy, my friend, told me right after, that all of him was cold. The worst part of this was that we felt that whatever we brought forth was evil. Worse, we felt that it wanted our very souls. I had to still sleep in that room when I was home from college. The only way I could was to close the door, and then imagine that the room was filled with candles, candles hanging from chandeliers, candles everywhere, and in my mind, I would begin to light them, one candle at a time until the entire room was filled with light. I felt that I had to dispel the darkness that this thing brought, with light, meeting evil with something that was everlastingly good.

Years later when I married and brought my wife home for the first time, I had to close the door between the rooms, in some sort of effort to prevent whatever that was from re materializing. My friend Buzzy and I have since talked about that strange night, and it is still just as vivid for him as it is for me. There's a part of my mind that says it couldn't have happened, that you can't see the dead or the other side, and if it had happened to just me up in that room, I would have thought something had happened to my mind. But it happened to both of us, and we both saw exactly the same thing. We had gotten into a habit of writing things down, and we wrote down our experiences and shared them before we talked about them. Our experiences were identical.

Years later, my dad would die suddenly in that house from a cerebral aneurysm. Two years later, my mom would die of cancer. When she knew she was terminal, she sold the house to a young couple. They were excited to live near the beautiful river. They even built a fireplace in the living room. Several years later they were divorced. I believe the house is cursed and I pity those who move into it.

This is all true. When I tell this, I always suspect that no one believes it. Why would they. This can't happen. To this day, my mind tries not to accept it, like it was a dream. Buzzy and I know differently.

I've never seen one myself, nor have I ever seen empirical proof they even exist. I haven't seen any proof they don't exist either, so I'm keeping the possibility of them open.

When a rational explanation for something isn't obvious we tend to rationalize. In other words, we make up an explanation that is rational according to our personal beliefs, and we come up with either a scientific or supernatural explanation depending on our personal view of the world. The idea that everything can be explained by the known laws of physics is just a philosophical belief which may or may not be true. A belief that there are other physical 'laws' waiting to be discovered that will explain everything is a faith based belief similar to a belief in gods or spirits.

My own experiences in a house I owned:
A dog I owned seemingly interacted with someone that wasn't visible to me. Sometimes playfully but on two occasions the dog was so terrified it affected his behavior for weeks and changed his personality. I suppose dogs can have hallucinations just like people, but, in that same year a woman (my then wife) had a terrifying encounter with a human-like figure that then disappeared.

In that house I sometimes heard a toy that made a distinctive noise when played with because of the beads in it. The toy wasn't mechanized in any way and it was laying in a basement room on a solid concrete floor. There were no perceptible drafts in the room. It wasn't the sound of a bead or two moving slightly, but the more vigorous noise you would hear if someone was playing with it. I heard it numerous times when I went down stairs, but the noise always stopped the moment I set foot in that room. That got my scientific curiosity going. I tried placing the toy in different positions, and explored every inch of the basement, but the sound continued and I found nothing that could explain it. The noise continued regularly until I threw the toy out.

here is a photo i took during a ghost hunt in an old prison.

Yes I actually had a few experiences in my life! The most intense experience I had with a ghost was when I was staying over my grandmas house in 2013, in a 1970s built house in a small town in Pennsylvania. I was in a deep sleep and had a nightmare about being down in some kind of hotel in the 1940s era...anyway in the dream we were robbing the bar down in the basement and one the guys had a clown mask on. I have always been terrified of clowns since I was a kid so this increased my fear in the dream! The clown mask started freaking me out and asked guy to take it off. So it gets really angry and says "what you don't like my mask, you don't like my mask!", and he starts choking me in the dream... I wake up in my bed and still feel like i'm being strangled by the clown. But what really freaked me out was when I woke up the bedroom door was wide opened and I locked it the previous night. So anyway I go back to sleep and once again wake up to the door wide opened even after I locked it again! So the next day I tell my grandma what happened and find out, her brother my great uncle used to sketch clown pictures. And she had stored his drawings above the room I was staying at in the attic. Well even more creepy my great uncle was in the Irish mafia and landed up shooting a cop while robbing a bank. He went jail for a long time and when he got out, someone shot him. Probably one the family members seeking revenge for of the cop he shot. Anyway the guy wasn't a nice guy and I think he visited me that night! In fact he might of been the one haunting me and started my fear of clowns as a kid. And he died 15 years before I was born!

There was more resposces then I thought. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

All these stories and picture makes one wonder, how much do we really know about the world around us?

Reactions: TB333 and Drifter
dogboy said:
All these stories and picture makes one wonder, how much do we really know about the world around us?
Less then we think.

I have been skeptical about posting here, but now I will.

As stated above , my great grandmother was a "Hungarian Healer". She was clairvoyant and so was my grand father, cousin that he trained and my brothers and I have "visions" but were not trained to control them.

Because of this I have been interested in "parallel universe" theories. I have had several visions that I wish I had not, and have also seen "ghost" but it is at the same time I have visions, which is right before I go to sleep or just wake up.

There is a lot of long stories that I can go through, but the important part is that at the "transitional" phase is where "paradoxes" occur. Having talked only briefly to a Parapsychologist this fits into there theories, and yes mirrors are on way to cause it.

Needles to say. Yes I believe. And that is because of one serious of visions that I had in the fall of 2001. Three weeks later it happened and all of the little pieces came into place. The problem was they where bits and pieces of when I was hit in a cross walk by a car, and the more the visions came together The more I wished I did not have the damn things.

P.S. I had a vision about something in 2021 ?22 that might happen and I hope to hell I am wrong.

dogboy said:
Me too!

As I see it, outside of awareness itself we really don't "know" anything. What we call "knowledge" is nothing more than a collection of beliefs that varies with the individual. What society sees as "the truth" is just the result of some democratic process.

Our scientific observations show that the right combination of a relatively tiny number of atoms, what we call a brain, produces an awareness seemingly capable of consciously navigating the universe. We don't know what laws, if any, regulate the creation of awareness, or if it must always be confined to the biological structures we are familiar with. I think the universe is big enough to have a few ghosts.

;)

Back